Feedback by UserVoice

Microsoft Search

Welcome to the Microsoft Search UserVoice forum!  We look forward to your feedback and ideas around Microsoft Search in general, including the admin experience, Microsoft Search clients, connectors, and UX customization. Please let us know what you think!

1. Return direct links to public Microsoft Teams, not just to the SharePoint side

Microsoft Search returns all SharePoint sites that a user has access too, however, many of these sites are now the backend of thriving Microsoft Teams sites. Having users find and land on the SharePoint home page in these cases is not useful.

Two possible improvements. Either, make the link to the public Teams sites show up as along side the SharePoint results (with some icon to distinguish the two), or put a prominent link to the Teams site on the home page of the SharePoint site.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Consistency on displaying Title vs Filename in Search Results

Search is critical to a successful intranet. Now that we are using modern search in SharePoint / Microsoft 365, we have lost functionality that has been in the product for years. The key element that is missing is consistency in how document type results are displayed. SharePoint has always displayed the “Title” attribute of a file (if present) as the clickable item in search results. If no title attribute existed, it would display the file name. File names are typically not as readable or as user friendly as titles. Being able to specify a title gives the content owner on…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Clients  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support multilingual query patterns for acronym searches

Microsoft Search users can get definitions with Acronyms in Bing, SharePoint, and Office 365. In the Search box, users enter queries like these examples: What is <acronym> or Define <acronym>

For non-English speaking organizations it is recommended to enter the query patterns in their own language.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Dictate order of Bookmarks with same trigger Keyword, and have all appear the same

Right now up to three Bookmarks can be displayed in the search results pages if they share the same Keyword as a trigger. One appears as "primary" with hyperlinked title, URL and description, while the other(s) appear under Related with only a hyperlinked title in tiny font. I would like all to be displayed the same as the "primary" and would like to be able to set which appears first, second, and third.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UX customization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Restore the ability to search Public folder calendars

recently the new search within Outlook broke the ability for searching of public folder calendars. This has been confirmed and replicated by Microsoft technical support. Previous version of Microsoft search allowed this. I have have 250 users across 25 companies that use public folder calendars, and that have lost this ability. if you need references: Microsoft case number: 22228511 references this problem. Please address this bug, and restore the search function.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. When searching an error code please list all error codes related to the product support.

After a search is performed, list all error codes and possible solutions related to the product support.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. New Idea: Why not consolodate all the Outlook search feedback since mainly it is location or usability related

I have a number of issues with search the biggest is the box location though, you should be able to revert it. Steals screen space, could be in the ribbon where I see All/Unread and of taking half an inch of the top of my screen. I tend to accidentally de-full screen outlook when I attempt to click in it. I would attach to an existing user voice but it looks like many disparate user voices out there, same key driver.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Clients  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add support for indexing wikis in DevOps

We heavily use wikis in DevOps for documentation and onboarding and stuff. It would be great if we could search those as well.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Connectors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow end users to provide feedback (or suggested updates) to Acronyms, Bookmarks, Locations, and Q&A

Acronyms, bookmarks, locations, and Q&A's may become obsolete or outdated over time. As users come across these types of results, provide a way for them to submit feedback to a specific mailbox, search admin, or search editor. Or, a way to flag the item for review.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UX customization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please add New Zealand as a region in the Admin centre - region settings

NZ is missing as a region setting. If we expect our NZ empoyees to adopt SharePoint Online, being able to make NZ content more relevant would help.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Keyword "folder:" fails in Outlook searches

In the past, keyword "folder:" could be used to narrow search to items found in specific folder. This function does no longer work since latest updates.
    Can this be fixed to recover the original functionality?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Outlook: Move message fails after search

Following a Search, it is not possible to move a message to another folder using the Move function of message window. It is still possible to close the message and drag the message from "inbox" window to destination folder in Folder pane. This problem started to occur after latest updates.
    Can this be fixed to recover the original functionality?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Outlook: Chained search fails

Since latest updates, when "Find Related Messages in this conversation" is used on results of a previous search, the result is "No results" found. Can this be fixed to recover the original functionality?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Possibility to search in Outlook tasks, which were added via Pop-up to Outlook Mail

I've added my tasks on the right side in Outlook mails, but there is no possibility to search for a task in the list. I need a little box (just like the box to add a new task) to enter a part of the title or content of the task to find it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Improve error messages for bookmarks, fields are not highlighted

The error messages are unclear when you try to publish a bookmark. Here is an error message I see often: "There are some errors on the page. Please review and update any highlighted fields. If no fields are highlighted please try again later." However, no fields are highlighted, so I do not know if there is a formatting issue, or whether I actually need to just try again later. I also waited a day and tried to publish again. I reached out to Microsoft directly and they said no one had reported this issue yet. Please update the error messages…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. one note

Please improve OneNote search results.

Right now, Search will find items inside of OneNote, BUT when you click open the OneNote, the search does NOT take you to the correct section and page where the result was found. This makes OneNote searching extremely ineffective. Result must take you to the correct section, page, and then the result.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Connectors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)