Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Microsoft Invoicing?

Allow for disabling of VAT options

I am not a VAT registered business and, as such, I do not need my invoices cluttered with VAT (indeed, it makes them technically wrong as I have to mark everything as zero-rated to get the numbers right, even though that isn't quite accurate).

I recognise that for many larger businesses VAT is a legal requirement, but maybe this feature could be added with suitable disclaimers to warn unsuspecting users.

9 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi desperately need to be able to disable the VAT registration number fields on our invoices. We're using Zero rated as a work around in testing but we need to get this off....

• Martin Feeney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on adding support for non-Vat Registered businesses. We have just converted over to 365 Business Premium to avail of the invoicing system specifically and now we find there is VAT all over the invoice template which we cannot have.

• James Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is there still no progress on this? This is utterly ridiculous now.

Microsoft builds a product aimed clearly at small businesses. It then leaves out a crucial option which means said product can't actually be used by small businesses.

The comment from "Admin" above indicates Microsoft is still completely unaware of how VAT actually works for small businesses.

It's not a case of "VAT exempt" or "0% VAT" - business owners like me are *not VAT registered*, and cannot issue invoices which contain references to VAT. It *is not enough* to issue an invoice displaying 0% VAT if you are not VAT-registered - the two are entirely separate concerns. If you are not VAT-registered, you can not display VAT on your invoice - it is as simple as that. There is no "feasibility" of marking your service as 0% if you are not a VAT-registered business.

How is this so hard for Microsoft to understand? You just need to add an "off" button.... I find it hard to believe it's taking you over six months to do this. All it needs to do is obliterate every reference to VAT in the generated invoices... then Invoicing will finally be usable by what seems to be its core target audience.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems bizarre that a service that is aimed at small businesses should have no provision for businesses that do not need to register for VAT. I’m wondering if the US development team appreciates that there is a threshold for VAT registration and businesses below this threshold do not register and cannot use a VAT invoice? This limitation is particularly incomprehensible as most businesses that are over the VAT threshold will probably have a full accounting package and won’t need this simple invoicing capability.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many thanks - I shall do, but I'm not VAT exempt, I simply don't turn over enough to require VAT registration (nor am I working through a limited company).
        Also - you might like to know that I found the email notification for this thread in my junk folder in Outlook for Mac.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many thanks - I shall do, but I'm not VAT exempt, I simply don't turn over enough to require VAT registration (nor am I working through a limited company).
        Also - you might like to know that I found the email notification for this thread in my junk folder in Outlook for Mac.

Feedback and Knowledge Base