Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the Office.com Home Page experience?

Remove the "Make Bing your search engine" and "Make MSN your browser homepage" tickboxes.

The default page requires two extra click to untick these options.

50 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Peter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a scandal, the damned skype installer is still surreptitiously trying to "make bing your default search engine and MSN your home page".

This witnesses once more the diffused dishonesty of the Microsoft company, as its history boldly tells us all.

Microsoft has been, is and will be the worst curse of software industry worldwide. Not even a cent of their revenue is earned without tricks, abuses and misleading acts.

If a justice existed you would be relegated to the place you deserve: ignored vendors of buggy, bloated and useless software.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2 years ago and nothing changed!!! Nobody wants Bing, if they did, they can Google it

• Erik Wren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree with this. It is mind blowing that Microsoft would make this the default option. Junk apps try to trick you into installing a toolbar, Microsoft should not. Considering this is an enterprise solution, I can't imagine any enterprise would want users installing more toolbars and resetting their search options. Also the inability to customize what apps are installed from this page makes the whole thing pretty useless. We do not use Skype or the SharePoint designer, and thus the only way to deploy is through a custom package. It would be nice to be able to direct people to this portal, but without these options we can not.

• Steven Garvie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really really want this gone. We are a very large enterprise organization. We will never use BING or BING search bar in our organization as toolbars and search engines are already standardized. I would also like you to remove the Install office part as well. But still leave the ability to do this in each users individual settings. The more customizable this page is the more people will use it!

• Ryan Korczykowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm appalled that these settings are on the office install page. They are not related to the product (office suite) and alter settings in 3rd party programs. I consider that malicious software.

• Gerard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it is totally inappropriate and highly unprofessional, annoying and pretty pathetic that Microsoft is trying force MSN homepage and Bing search engine on ENTERPRISE CUSTOMERS in this SNEAKY manner. Our laptops are configured with our own site, we do not want employees to accidentally change this to MSN. Also, most of our employees prefer Google for their search engine.

• Joris Steenstra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Besides, MSN as a homepage is something no one ever wants... I really wonder how much that site makes them. Would there be any Microsoft employee that has that monster of a webpage as his homepage?

• Brian Adamson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Browser tick boxes should not be on Office365. We will use the apps we want. Quit trying to force us to use things we don't like. We are not using, it but Microsoft is further alienating the IT professionals by "PUSHING" the garbage. By the time I download office I have already set up my browsers and if I miss the tick you have just cost me more time.

• Austin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Peter and Richard, both great ideas.

Being able to customize the default portal is the best and fastest way to get Office 365 adoption. The page is currently way too busy. Also most enterprise environments want to specify their own homepage like a federation server, intranet page or business home page, not a search engine.

Feedback and Knowledge Base