Feedback by UserVoice

Office 365 Security & Compliance

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Welcome to the Security (Protection) & Compliance UserVoice forum. We’re happy you’re here! If you have suggestions or ideas on how to improve Security or Compliance related features in O365, we’d love to hear them!

How it works
◾Check out the ideas others have suggested and vote on your favorites
◾If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit your own — 25 words or less, please
◾Include one suggestion per post

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve these features in Office 365!

Need Tech Support? Please see the O365 Community for the product or feature you are having issues with, or open a support ticket through your Office 365 administrator portal.

How can we improve compliance or protect your users better in Office 365?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Implement sensitive data ediscovery searches in Exchange Online

Sensitive data searches for ediscovery currently work only in Sharepoint and One Drive. It also works for DLP in Exchange. This lack severely limits the usefulness of eDiscovery in Security and Compliance for Office 365.

95 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    5 comments  ·  eDiscovery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Conditional Access by Network Location

Want to bring network location-based conditional access policy to not only SharePoint but also the whole of office365.

94 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Advanced Security Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow for adjusting the link expiration time for an OME v2 encrypted message.

Currently it appears set at 2 months. Would like to see ability to increase/decrease. Maybe max 1 year? Not sure the exact max needed, it would likely change by customer needs/retention policy.

94 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Advanced Threat Protection and Dynamic Delivery of emails

With Dynamic Delivery, email is delivered with a provisional attachment that indicates that the original attachment is being scanned by ATP and will be delivered soon. If this email if forwarded before the original attachment is released by ATP, the recipient of the forwarded email will receive the provisional attachment and never see the original attachment once released to the first recipient.
    This is a problem for business where many executives on the move use mobile phones to routinely forward emails to team members for follow-up. We also have users who setup Outlook rule that forward emails to other users. …

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Advanced Security Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow Journal decryption in OME

Currently RMS-encrypted mails can be decrypted for the purposes of journaling, but OME-encrypted mails - even though also based on RMS - does not have the same option. Set-IRMConfiguration -JournalReportDecryptionEnabled $true is used to enable RMS journal decryption. I suggest something similar is developed and made available for OME.

88 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Ability to perform eDiscovery collections for specific Outlook Folders

I have a requirement from a large customer (85K users) that needs to be able to perform eDiscovery collections for specific Outlook folders. We can do date range and Full Mbx collections, but not specific folders. This was possible on-premises, but not in Exchange Online ????

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  eDiscovery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add multiple wildcard options to message trace capabilities

Please allow for the ability to use get-messagetrace in combination with multiple wildcard scenarios. For instance, if I want to see *@*.co.uk via a PowerShell query.

Example script
    $mystart = (Get-Date).addhours(-72)
    $myend = Get-Date
    Get-MessageTrace -StartDate $mystart -EndDate $myend | where {$_.senderaddress -like "*@*.co.uk"}

This information use to be available with the ForeFront for Exchange on-prem solution and is still available with the Exchange on-prem Get-MessageTrackingLog function currently.

86 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Message Trace  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. add option to create a transport rule to send an automatic reply/response to a sender emailing a recipient in the organisation.

need an option to send an automatic reply/response to any sender emailing a specific recipient in the organisation via a transport rule. the option is available in Exchange 2013 so should be possible in Office 365. a rule from the mailbox is not suitable as this will only send the response once to each sender. the mailbox is not monitored so customers should be sent an acknowledgement email to confirm that their email has been received.

84 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  DLP & Transport Rules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Use Outlook junk mail actions to train hosted spam filters

Junkmail filtering has been a constant pain point for me with O365 business and Outlook. The spam filters have an awfully high number of false positives, and only rarely capture real spam (I don't get much on these accounts). Most of the mail that gets filtered is from the same set of senders even though I constantly tell Outlook that these messages are not Junk. O365 needs to leverage this data to improve filtering reliability.

84 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Spam & Phishing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The Junk Email Reporting Add-in is our current solution for Outlook users. You can get the download for it, and learn more here:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/library/jj723127(v=exchg.150).aspx
    We do absolutely triage these submissions and use them to improve EOP.

If you aren’t using Outlook, simply create a new mail to junk [AT] office365.microsoft.com and attach the entire message, including headers (see https://technet.microsoft.com/library/jj723151(v=exchg.150).aspx). We are looking at better reporting options for Mac and mobile users. What might be helpful here is commenting with which applications you use most.

Administrators can also now go to http://aka.ms/FixSpam and troubleshoot their users’ most persistent spam issues.

If you continue having difficulties, we recommend a support ticket to investigate current samples. It is frequently the case that a simple configuration issue is to blame — and support can help you figure this out.

10. Stop external emails being sent directly to the onmicrosoft.com ailiases

My organisation is using a 3rd party mail gateway in front of Office 365. However we have discovered that sending emails directly to the aliases: @<domain>.mail.onmicrosoft.com and @<domain>.onmicrosoft.com bypasses our mail gateway allowing malicious emails through.

It should be made clear that these aliases should be locked down either by a transport rule or by being able to change the MX records, the latter not being possible at this time.

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Spam & Phishing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Policy Tip Support for Rules with Sender/Domain Filtering

Currently, Policy Tip actions are not supported when creating a DLP rule that has sender or domain filtering criteria.

The error message states "The NotifySender action isn't compatible with 'RecipientDomainIs' predicate."

We'd like to see this action supported so we can configure our rules based on our business requirements.

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  DLP & Transport Rules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Custom Safety Tips

We would really like to be able to raise a few custom Safety Tips on inbound messages.

For starters, it would be great to raise a Safety Tip on every message originating from an external sender, i.e. every inbound message. A simple safety tip that read "Notice: This message was sent from outside our organization. Please use caution with links an attachments" would work wonders.

Another Safety Tip, perhaps with a warning level, to flag messages that fail SPF checks would also help.

The idea is to provide actionable information to message recipients so that they can make better decisions…

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Spam & Phishing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Certificate of Destruction

When applying the new unified retention policies across Office 365, and you have configured the policy to delete content after a specified period of time, is there any provisions for a review/approval process and/or a 'certificate of destruction' as an audit of what was deleted? This is a standard requirement for many Information Management teams as Courts of law look for prior review and approval for disposed content if called upon.

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Block Office Files with Macro's

We are getting numerous malware attacks with zero hour Office files containing malicious Macro's, these are often blocked within 60-90 minutes but some are still being received by users. The signature is changing regularly so they aren't picked up by your scanners despite the original virus being around 12 months old.

We do educate the users not to open them and Macro's are disabled, but blocking the content at the gateway would be better.

Some of this functionality was available in Forefront for Exchange.

81 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Malware  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Quarantine notifications, but no release functionalility

Quarantine notifications, but no release functionality.
    We have currently setup the Spam quarantine notification messages for our employees. When they receive such an alert message, the users are able to release the captured messages. We would like to have the Quarantine alerts message to stay in place, but want to prevent end-users to release the messages. We want to force a 'second opinion' flow in between, to delegate this task to the Hygiene administrators. In such a configuration employees shouldn't be able to open the Quarantine URL either. Unfortunately we see some users are not able to see the difference…

81 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Spam & Phishing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Make secure score available to partners

As a Partner I have access to the tenant of my clients. I'm not able to see the score of my clients tenant and check easily what changes need to be done and discuss this with my clients.
    I can only do this when I have an separate admin account of the clients tenant.
    Now with the integration of secure score into the compliance center shows a widget of the score but not the actions that needs to be taken. Please integrate the full secure score

81 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. More Than 8-Character Minimum Password Requirement

Allow for the current 8-character minimum requirement to be changed to something longer (i.e. – 10 or 12). Allowing for an 8-character minimum password length ensures mostly that.

Changing character density from 8 to 10 characters increases offline resilience from less than a day to almost two (2) decades, and 12 characters to over a thousand centuries [ref: Gibson research Center’s ‘Haystack’ page - https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm ].

Allowing administrators the option of lifting this minimum not only forces users to create potentially more secure passwords, but also allows them to use them longer without needing to change them… potentially until there…

79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Advanced Security Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Creation of forwarding/redirect rule

So last night this rule triggered for the first time, wasn't really aware of it in the first place.

Severity:● Low

Time:6/13/2018 10:00:00 PM (UTC)

Activity:MailRedirect

User:person@email.com

Details: MailRedirect. This alert is triggered whenever someone gets access to read your user's email.

Description: This alert is triggered when someone in your organization creates an email forwarding or redirect inbox rules using Outlook web app or Powershell -V1.0.0.2

Now to me this is an incredibly frightening message to receive, since this person has access to extremely sensitive financial information. So since I was thinking this person had been compromised, I…

79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Compliance Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Office 365 needs a suite-wide URL web link shortener

I could increase the adoption of various features / apps in Office 365 if I had a URL web link shortener in my tenant.

For example, we recently had some groups working on shared Word documents via OneDrive. In order to help them get up-to-speed, I created a bit.ly link so that they could get directly to the OneDrive where we were all working together.

I am also trying to get people to send links to documents that they maintain versus copies. I have a mnemonic "send a link, helps me think, send a copy, make inbox sloppy."

If the…

78 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. FIDO U2F support

Office 365 for work: We need Office 365 for Work support a FIDO Universal Second Factor (U2F) protocol standard Security Key.

As many organisation would like to shift to Office 365 but they concern about the security standard which request Office 365 to support Universal Second Factor (U2F) protocol standard security key as Microsoft is a member of FIDO.

78 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Advanced Security Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base