Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve compliance or protect your users better in Office 365?

Ability to disable or enable Office365 Mail Protection

I am not a fan of mail protection or its administration in a Hybrid environment and would prefer to use a mail-filter device.
This is especially a pain due to the fact that legitimate messages are being sent to the Junk E-Mail folder by mail protection.

155 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
try this instead  ·  O365 Feedback Team responded  · 

@Anonymous: This can be accomplished. Please see instructions and more important information here: https://technet.microsoft.com/EN-US/library/jj937232(v=exchg.150).aspx Before you do, you may want to verify that the mails are being marked as junk by EOP vs. Outlook SmartScreen filter. You may want to verify this by disabling Outlook SmartScreen under Junk Email Options. A large number of false positives which are reported to us fall in this category. A support ticket is highly recommended to assist. EOP performance is among the leaders, but any spam solution requires proper configuration.

@Leigh: It seems that you may not be asking for disabling EOP. You are asking to be able to disable the Outlook feature. This can also be done, but again, we would highly recommend a support ticket. EOP can return emails to sender if the sender is on a block list, but it never deletes emails unless you tell it to, and typically the behavior is to send it to the junk folder. False positives happen, but often are due to configuration problems. I highly recommend a support ticket if you have examples you’d like us to investigate.

You may feel free to contact us through this channel if you’re not getting the help you need from support.

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I Full 100%. Systems that think they know better are garbage. 1000's of emails are being sent to Junk folders every day becauase of EOP not being able to turn off.. We DON"T WANT EOP. We have our own filtering service that is amazing.. EOP jacks things up .. only f'n idiot would force Filtering AI onto an enterprise customer.

The links above don't work... because "you can only add a valid domain"... We have systems all over that send from things like Ticket@Machine there is NO .COM so O365 thinking it knows better won't allow us to enter it and there is no other method..

How about MS not force our company to spend 100's of hours trying to fix something that we shoudlnt' have to because we already have a service.. but MS is trying to Hijack it or "enhance".. we dont' WANT YOU TO TOUCH IT!!! Not allowing to be turned off because your system sucks is just asinine.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For the error message "The operation couldn't be performed because 'NAME' matches multiple entries" copy the text below and run it as a script:

$Users = Get-Mailbox
    foreach ($UPN in $Users)
    {
    Set-MailboxJunkEmailConfiguration $UPN.UserPrincipalName -Enabled $False
    }

• Barry Hayward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can i run Get-Mailbox | Set-MailboxJunkEmailConfiguration –Enabled $False with multiple domains in my MS365 org?
    i get an error stating The operation couldn't be performed because 'NAME' matches multiple entries.
    This is because said users have multiple accounts such as fred@domain1.com and fred@europe2.com
    i need to run this with some sort of filter? if so please could you assist me with command?

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree we should be able to disable this easily across the board

• Russ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't want to configure Mail Protection. I want to terminate/disable/destroy Mail Protection as it is rejecting valid emails and letting the spam slip past.

• Catherine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this caused us some grief too. Would be nice to be able to turn it off. We could turn off the spam features with on-premise so should have the same ability in cloud without getting support involved.

• Craig Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not the original poster, but came here to see if someone submitted this request, and vote for it, as I have yet another problem with the spam filter today.

All of our mailboxes are in the cloud, however we have an on-premise mail gateway that all messages pass through for spam filtering, etc both incoming, and outgoing. Messages from my local public library are being marked as spam by EOP, so I white-listed the domain in the Exchange Online spam filter settings. However, EOP is still marking this message as spam (with a score of 5, and also marking them as bulk, even though I have that turned off as well.

I placed a call with support, and they advised me to create a transport rule, to set the spam score for this domain to -1. What is the purpose of the domain whitelist, if I need to create a transport rule anyway?

I would much rather have the option of bypassing the spam filter completely for all messages, as our on-premise spam filter does the job just fine, and 365 is providing us with a lot of false-positives. The link you provide really doesn't explain how to disable EOP completely. I'm using scenario 3 - mail routed to on premises, with MX record pointing on premises. We do not want to have the MX point to Office 365 at all, which is what scenario 3 recommends, even though that's not what we want at all.

I suppose my only option is to create a transport rule that applies to all messages, and set the spam score to -1?

• Leigh Warner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge issue. Blocked legitimate messages are a bigger problem than spam. We can lose clients over this.
    This is the worst feature of Office 365. If a user clicks on the Junk button by accident, there is no option to Cancel, and worse yet, any user action results in the sender's address being permanently blocked. The Block List is not easily discovered by most users. Our users work mainly in Outlook, but occasionally in the online portal. If they inadvertently add a sender to their Block List, they have no way of seeing it in Outlook, and our IT department wastes time tracking down the issue because there is practically zero insight into the user Block Lists and settings. Worse, if we disable Automatic Move of Junk Mail for all users, if they inadvertently click the Junk button, they have NO way to remove the sender from their Block List without IT intervention.

There needs to be a way to completely disable this feature, including the Junk button, the Block Lists, and any other contextual menu item.

Feedback and Knowledge Base