Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve compliance or protect your users better in Office 365?

Enable Transport Rule action for Distribution Group

In Exchange Online or EOP, We cannot create a transport rule with the action set to Distribution Group.

It errors as follows :

The transport rule can't be created because group@domain.com, the recipient to be added by a rule action, is a distribution group. Transport rules can't add distribution groups to messages. To resolve this error, remove this recipient and specify a different one.

Since there are workarounds to resolve, Can this be fixed directly without any error.

227 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Kingson Jebaraj shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • ADam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely stupid MS. For crying out loud you can do it on prem why not in 365? Now I have to have loads of shared mailboxes holding sensitive data just to work around a stupid limitation?

• G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure if anyone still needs assistance with this, but you can work around it by explicitly stating the initial recipient or subject via headers within the rule configuration.

So the rule looks for To:Your@EmailHere within the email header for example and applies the rule to anything thats sent to that address, even if it's a D/L. :)

• Ryan Pizzi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are many reasons for us to want to send notices or bcc things to a distribution group and seems like an arbitrary limitation to have baked in to Exchange.

• Noah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reviving this topic -- why is this limitation imposed? Any updates?

• Stefan Fritsch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried to use redirection in a Shared Mailbox and it doesn't accept groups as recipient.

So what are the workarounds?

And why do we have to jump through these loops, Microsoft?

• Kingson Jebaraj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry for delay in response I am not being notified if comment made to this, Yes, as Timothy mentioned I have tried using Shared Mailbox and enabled redirection.

• Timothy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess you have to create a shared mailbox and set the redirection to distribution group there.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there anyway to get round this issue? I want to setup a transport rule to forward mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base