Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve compliance or protect your users better in Office 365?

Add ability to deny EWS and MAPI clients using Basic Authentication, with Client Access Rules for Exchange Online

Currently, MFA for Azure AD / O365 is useless regarding protection of mailboxes in Exchange Online, as EWS and MAPI clients can still connect to mailboxes using Basic Authentication, even with Conditional Access rules in place to require MFA, and there's no way of denying this server-side on EXO.

The newly-released Client Access Rules feature promises this functionality in its documentation (see https://technet.microsoft.com/library/mt842508.aspx and https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn913650(v=exchg.160).aspx), but unfortunately the functionality is crippled. You can only make rules in the following combinations (info from EXO Engineering team):

OutlookWebApp: BasicAuthentication, AdfsAuthentication
ExchangeAdminCenter: BasicAuthentication, AdfsAuthentication
RemotePowerShell: BasicAuthentication, NonBasicAuthentication
ExchangeActiveSync: BasicAuthentication, OAuthAuthentication, CertificateBasedAuthentication
IMAP4/POP3/OfflineAddressBook/PowerShellWebServices/ExchangeWebServices/REST: none

Note there is no mention of OutlookAnywhere (MAPI) in the above list, but from my own testing, it's impossible to create rules around that protocol. EWS is explicitly mentioned as not possible to restrict auth type for.

IMAP and POP are also bypasses for MFA, but it's easier to turn those off, but many things are dependent on EWS (including Outlook mobile apps), and Outlook (desktop) is of course dependent on MAPI (OutlookAnywhere). It would be useful to control REST too, as I understand some mobile apps will use that.

Yes, you can use CAR's to allow only certain IP's and users to connect with certain protocols, insist everyone VPN's in before connecting, and try to force compliance Outlook client-side, using GPO's to turn on ADAL and then lock down the registry, but this doesn't stop a phisher bypassing MFA for one of your users from whom they've phished username and password, and getting full access to their mailbox.

This is a pretty big security hole for us, and I'm surprised there isn't more noise about it across the internet. I just get blank or stock responses from support and escalation engineers on this, so I'm hoping this post helps.

358 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sam Buccieri-Gillett shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback. We’ve updated the TechNet documentation (https://technet.microsoft.com/library/mt842508(v=exchg.150).aspx) to clear up confusion around which authentication type and protocol combinations are supported in CARs. Expanding support for more combinations could prevent bad actors with valid credentials from accessing mailbox content, but it wouldn’t help with scenarios like password spray attacks or malicious lockout attempts because CARs are evaluated post-authentication. There’s work underway on a solution that covers a broader array of basic authentication scenarios – we’ll share more details as soon as possible. In the interim, this blogpost (https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2018/03/05/azure-ad-and-adfs-best-practices-defending-against-password-spray-attacks/) outlines the recommended approach for forcing multi-factor authentication when using AAD and ADFS.

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi.

Apologies for posting this here but there seems very little on this anywhere else.

I am trying to test our security setup re: Basic Authentication using c# EWS.

I am using the following lines to connect

ExchangeService myService = new ExchangeService();
        myService.Credentials = new NetworkCredential(userData.EmailAddress, userData.Password);

Am I correct in assuming that this is Basic Authentication and not Modern Authentication?

Thanks

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

EWS really needs to be changed to allow modern authentication to support 2FA.

• Devlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would also like the ability to completely turn off legacy authentication. We are planning to force all our users to MFA but cannot currently tell who is still using legacy authentication at this point. We want to avoid them having to setup per app passwords.

Setting up ADFS properly with HA is not an option at our current size. I think you will find many of your smaller customers will find that far to much of an ask. The ability to set these conditionally via Azure AD would be great.

• Nilis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is extremely important to have this option in CA policies!
        Just a simple CA policy with Require Modern auth for all EXO protocols e.g. EWS/MAPI/IMAP/POP3 etc or block authentication, where you could make exclusions for legacy printer user needing to do IMAP/POP3.

@Anonymous, app passwords are not helping. This is not MFA in my opinion. Its just a "better" password.

• Jared P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1
        Here is what i want to do:

New-ClientAccessRule -Name 'Require modern auth for EWS' -Action DenyAccess -AnyOfProtocols ExchangeWebServices -ExceptAnyOfAuthenticationTypes OAuthAuthentication

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am seeing this too. I think the simplest way for Microsoft to solve it is to allow us to use app passwords with conditional access.

Feedback and Knowledge Base