Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve compliance or protect your users better in Office 365?

OneDrive for Business unable to perform delete folder directly caused by Retention Policy

Dear Microsoft,

OneDrive for Business is one of the useful tools for cloud storage whereby end user should be able to folders (even got files inside) easily even being applied with retention policy.

Retention policy is suppose used on backend which not suppose to affect on OneDrive for Business usage. We are have 500 users getting impact on this. (and i assume all users having this issue as Microsoft support tested having this issue - "behaviour")

I was informed by Microsoft that this is by default preservation policy design behaviour, which I think this is not consider design behavior anymore as is causing the OneDrive for business folder deletion problem.Again, retention policy on OneDrive shouldn’t affect the folder deletion method as there is No Different that user can either delete all the files inside and delete the folder, or delete the entire folder directly.

Please fix this problem as soon as possible, otherwise this issue is serious discourage people to use the retention policy feature. Email me if seriously looking into this issue.

417 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

31 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Snaydln commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i create a folder “delete please Microsoft”. Then move my all folders. I m waiting now :)

• SirStf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or at least let admins somehow delete folders overriding the RP.

People will upload stuff by accident, copy paste stuff instead of moving, make "safety copys" and duplicate stuff...

When it gets time to clean this, the RP becomes a disaster for admins.

• SirStf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Retention policy should really be in the back-end, so end user does not need to concern himself with it.

For example if he chooses to delete something he should be able too, and retention policy should never the less keep those files in back-end for restore if needed. Similar to how emails are kept in hidden folders in Exchange.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Usually when uploading large sets of files they fail, but you cant re-upload the same folders as they will not merge, so I just rename the folder and then start over, duplicating hundreds of gigs of data needlessly and storing useless **** on Microsoft's servers. It pains me but get your **** together Microsoft.

Some people want to keep files after a user deletes it AND be able to delete a folder full of files, it doesn't seem like that big of an ask. I wouldn't even consider these things related.

I spent hours running Remove-PnPListItem scripts to get around this... ridiculous that users and admins can't get around this without so much hassle.

• SjoerdV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why must user experiece always be impacted when enabling a seemingly background process like a retention policy... please fix asap

I honestly can't believe this bug. Wow. IT works for SharePoint libraries too.

• Tu Tuan Hoang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's workaround for this issue.
    Open OneDrive in Internet Explorer, in the top right corner of the Internet Explorer window, look for the hamburger button (the button with 3 lines) , click on it and select "View in File Explorer". Wait for a few seconds, OneDrive will be open in File Explorer and you will be able to delete the entire folder from here.

Get yourself Ubuntu installed on a USB drive
    Boot into Linux
    Browse to the path or file you want to delete
    Then delete.
    Then boot back into windows and those stupid files are gone!
    Difficult but works.

• Heather Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a new user trying and testing things out for myself, this is an issue. I would like to be able to try things and then delete them. I agree, retention should have nothing to do with items that should be deleted instead of taking ups space.

• Wes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah this is a major pain point. Anyone find a workaround?

• Vishal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just go into One drive online, select gear icon on the top right, select ribbon on, then library on top left, then open in explorer. Follow the prompt and allow. It will then open in your local machine and you can delete. Save me many hours!

This is ridiculous. This is taking me hours to remove a folder that got loaded onto the one drive by accident

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base