Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve compliance or protect your users better in Office 365?

OneDrive for Business unable to perform delete folder directly caused by Retention Policy

Dear Microsoft,

OneDrive for Business is one of the useful tools for cloud storage whereby end user should be able to folders (even got files inside) easily even being applied with retention policy.

Retention policy is suppose used on backend which not suppose to affect on OneDrive for Business usage. We are have 500 users getting impact on this. (and i assume all users having this issue as Microsoft support tested having this issue - "behaviour")

I was informed by Microsoft that this is by default preservation policy design behaviour, which I think this is not consider design behavior anymore as is causing the OneDrive for business folder deletion problem.Again, retention policy on OneDrive shouldn’t affect the folder deletion method as there is No Different that user can either delete all the files inside and delete the folder, or delete the entire folder directly.

Please fix this problem as soon as possible, otherwise this issue is serious discourage people to use the retention policy feature. Email me if seriously looking into this issue.

341 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • SjoerdV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why must user experiece always be impacted when enabling a seemingly background process like a retention policy... please fix asap

• Tu Tuan Hoang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's workaround for this issue.
    Open OneDrive in Internet Explorer, in the top right corner of the Internet Explorer window, look for the hamburger button (the button with 3 lines) , click on it and select "View in File Explorer". Wait for a few seconds, OneDrive will be open in File Explorer and you will be able to delete the entire folder from here.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Get yourself Ubuntu installed on a USB drive
    Boot into Linux
    Browse to the path or file you want to delete
    Then delete.
    Then boot back into windows and those stupid files are gone!
    Difficult but works.

• Heather Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a new user trying and testing things out for myself, this is an issue. I would like to be able to try things and then delete them. I agree, retention should have nothing to do with items that should be deleted instead of taking ups space.

• Wes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah this is a major pain point. Anyone find a workaround?

• Vishal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just go into One drive online, select gear icon on the top right, select ribbon on, then library on top left, then open in explorer. Follow the prompt and allow. It will then open in your local machine and you can delete. Save me many hours!

This is ridiculous. This is taking me hours to remove a folder that got loaded onto the one drive by accident

• Rafaela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I´ve spent almost 2 hours to delete all the folders, in instead of just deleting the folder directly, because of this problem. Please Microsoft, solve this.

This policy is brutal, not realistic in managing or deleting nested folders, please FIX ASAP!

thank you

I am experiencing this "issue" also. My question is this: If it is the retention policy then why does it let my users delete content that is synced to their client from a OneDrive location? If they delete it within the web interface they get this error, but if they delete them on their client - it happily pushes that deletion to the cloud. Seems like that's a way to circumvent this - if this IS how its suppose to work.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Open your site using Internet Explorer. Next to the information icon is 3 lines, select that and open in File Explorer. You can mass delete all files and folders from there.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base