Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve compliance or protect your users better in Office 365?

Office 365 Message Encryption: User Driven Outlook Plugin

Please provide an Outlook Plugin for users to initiate and encrypted email. I know this is on the roadmap for OWA, but most users are still using Outlook 2010+. Provide a new button directly under the current Send button that says, "Send Encrypted".

Our client base can't depend on users typing in **encrypt** and Exchange DLP rules for Encryption.

187 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chris Clark shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Robin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They already have this but it is not compatible with all versions of O365.

What I mean by this is that the system will work with Office 365 Business Essentials and Office 365 Business Premium but will not integrate into any of the desktop applications.

So to encrypt an email you would have to create a mail flow rule to say if subject contains **Encrypt** encrypt the email before sending it out.

Not very user friendly and something MS need to sort ASAP!

The protect button appears on your computer giving you these features you all want if you have Office ProPlus on your machine which is provided via a Office 365 Enterprise E3 subscription.

This is twice the price of Office 365 Business Premium for a simple button, come one MS get this silly license sorted!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it is a shame that is not already part of outlook 365. the new data protection quire it in germany in two weeks. it is a shame that a user has to buy other plugins.

• Jim Swift commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. Having this functionality integrated into OWa and Outlook via an add-in would be ideal. I have several clients who need and would use this simply becuase their users are not reliable enough to type [encrypt] in the subject line and the DLP rules have other consequences they are not wiling to deal with. At thiks point, there is no good solution for them other than a manual entering of [encrypt] on the subject line to send an O365 OME encrypted message

• B Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I changed our OME encryption rules and made it so that if a user marked the message as "Confidential" or "Private" it would trigger the encryption.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be better if functionality was integrated. You don't really want to support another plugin.

• Bilbo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that OWA "protect" button will came to Outlook too... please rename "permission" to "protect" or someting like that. thanks!

• Jon Wolberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just ran into this issue myself. I was able to add a button using this guide ( https://www.skylinetechnologies.com/Blog/Skyline-Blog/August-2015/EmailMessageEncryption?saveda=1 ) which works for both Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2016. The issue is with 2010 it requires you to have a Pro license and with 2016 the user must have an ARM license ( either through E3 or $2 addon ). It only requires one E3 license to enable encryption for the entire organization. It should only require one license to enable this functionality for users as well.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be GREAT! Can't believe it's still not here!! Plus the DLP customizations in Exchange are very limited and the emails are not customizable as far as I've seen.

• Jeff Rhoades commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anybody have a link for where this is on the roadmap for OWA? I don't see it when I search on the roadmap site.

Feedback and Knowledge Base