Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve compliance or protect your users better in Office 365?

Option to preserve contents of SharePoint recycle bins when a site is placed on hold

Currently when a SharePoint site / OneDrive for Business is placed on hold items already in the recycle bins (site and site collection) are not preserved. Since the content of recycle bins can be technically recovered legal teams have advised that the contents of recycle bins needs to be preserved.

This would also be consistent with Exchange Online where an in place hold does preserve the contents for the Dumpster.

117 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
David Peet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kathleen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From a legal defensibility perspective if the data exists regardless of its location (e.g., recycle bin), it is a reasonable expectation that O365 have an ability to search all content and preserve responsive data. A SPO or OD4B recycle bin is technically just another folder housing data for 93 days (stage-1, stage-2). This folder like all others should have the capability to allow discovery and 'in-place' preservation using Microsoft's Security and Compliance tools. It is surprising this limitation still exists since these posts are over 2 years old.

• Mukesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on this item ? We internally did open a DCR with Microsoft to get this sorted out but yet to hear back on the final decision.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried to copy the majority of a different comment here, but it appears your system ate it as a duplicate or something. Essentially, if this is confirmed (I don't use this service, so I don't have the means to reproduce), this is an extremely critical bug that needs to be immediately fixed and/or confirmed to be fixed.

Please see my comment on: https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/289138-office-365-security-compliance/suggestions/16106374-prevent-users-from-bypassing-in-place-hold-for-one

• Robin Knudson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ford would want these features in both the cloud and the on-prem instances as well, since we are not yet an Office 365 shop.our expectation is if we used legal hold the data should be preserved—no gaps. The risks are very real as deletion of data under a legal hold whether intentional or unintentional could result in sanctions and have a negative impact on a companies reputation

• Paul Stawski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitely support the requirement on behalf of NN Group. As a financial services company we need to meet the compliance requirements of our business (and our regulators). Part of this is the need to have the ability to retain data during the retention period and to perform (legal) search on this data. This should be protected against user intervention, such as (un)intended deletion.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear All, this is a very serious gap that our legal team requires that we work to have mitigated. Due to the number of days worth of data that could be in the recycle bins, we must have a method in place with which to preserve this data or our deployment of ODB will be stopped.

• Michael Binder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly support this requirement as ODfB can only replace our existing solution if such a feature would be part of the solution

Feedback and Knowledge Base