Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve compliance or protect your users better in Office 365?

End User Spam Notifacation - Frequency

Currently we can only have 1 email sent per day notifying the user they have spam in quarantine.

The email is usually sent just after midnight so if the user does not check their quarantine it could be a full 24 hours until the use is notified that they have spam to release.

Could I suggest that at least 3 times per day this email can be sent?

Cheers

362 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Pierre Jehan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    tell us more  ·  O365 Feedback Team responded  · 

Thank you for your feedback. We have a clarifying question that would help us to prioritize this better: If you need notices 3 (or more) times per day, why use quarantine at all? Why not send the mails to a junk folder which the user can check on demand? If you want a notice each time any message gets quarantined, again, what prevents just sending the mails to a junk folder instead?

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Clayton Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will jump on this as well, but no response from O365 for awhile. We support a law firm that needs the notice more often that the middle of the night once a day. what if a client or judge emails wanting to move a trial last minute and they do not get the notice?

As stated, the junk is a horrible option for those wanting to keep malware/virus and such off the network. once it is on the PC, it could be too late. Come on MS, get it together.

For now, going back to the old provider as EOP just will not work for them.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here, client using office 365 started reporting more legitimate spam going into quarantine, needs notification every 4 hours really. We’ll be moving to another product that is just as cost effective to provide this facility. Junk mail not an option, as we would like to stop threats at the perimeter.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An option to enter the hour interval for notifications would be excellent. Sending the notification in the middle of the night seems arbitrary. What's the logic behind this? 24 hours might actually be ok if I could specify time of day for the notification, i.e. 3pm or 4pm just before users leave their desks for the day. This week Microsoft must have changed something about the logic because I've had users complain every day this past week about missing important emails from addresses they've corresponded with for months/years. Shouldn't that be part of the filtering logic to consider past communication? It's becoming burdensome working with the "Allow Senders" list. Pretty soon that list will be comprised of all legitimate domains. Once we get to that point then what's the point of Microsoft's spam logic if I'm managing the list manually?

• Dominik Dünnebacke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kudos. Delivering to junk e-mail folder is not an option we want to entertain as we do want to prevent malicious e-mail from entering our infrastructure.

• Brian Seaman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to see this, and in addition a configurable notification to admins for the system quarantine. We've been seeing increasing false positives on the "anti-phishing" quarantine file, and many of these messages have been time-sensitive court notifications or summons.

Having messages simply vanish on the way in, and then be delivered the morning after the court date, is causing users to become distrustful of the entire O365 mail and messaging system.

• Rob Traynere commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@O365 Feedback Team
        Who cares about alternative solutions? Just let us adjust the frequency by the hour.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like three times a day notification too. Once a day is not sufficient and puts a burden on the Admins.

• Mark G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to add to this request. Most (if not all) 3rd party antispam tools allow you to set the frequency as well as the specific time to generate quarantine notifications, if desired.

• Semih Kangal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need spam notifications sent more frequently than every 24 hours. These notifications are sent after business hours. Users open these notifications the day after they are sent. Finding out which important email you may have missed the day before makes no sense.

My $0.02

• Patrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree with Thomas commented · July 30, 2018 6:22 AM

Our company got operation team and they need to work with the email box 24x7. In case some customer email wrongly marked as SPAM and being quarantined, they will only be notified on next day. This caused a lot of trouble to their work.

O365 support replied why not use the junk folder, it is simple. User don't want the unwanted things flooded their folder, or else they will rather ignore the folder. Quarantine report, on the other hand, provides a good tool for them to have a full view on mails while they can choose the interested one to release it from Quarantine. The email folders will be tidy yet they know if they missed any important email.

Our previous SPAM filtering company also offer the option to increase the report frequency to 1 hour. This is simple task to implement actually, and also applicable to our operation team that, at most the wrongly filtered customer email is delayed 1 hour from handling.

• Aakanksha Arya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can this idea be implemented as it is causing business critical situation for us and loss for users.

I see many customers asking for multiple daily Quarantine Digest emails. Once per 24 hours is not sufficient. Surely this is something that Microsoft could quite easily implement!?

I posted this elsewhere, but I don't see the harm (or even difficulty) in having at least the following options available:

1. Send repeated reports and frequency. Once a day, twice a day, etc. with time to set
        2. Send quarantine report email as soon as a new message appears
        3. In the quarantine report email show new and old quarantine emails

• KT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I'm posting to pile on to this request. We have plenty of users complaining about the quarantine functionality and have had to introduce manual workarounds to solve issues in the long running request thread.

Hi Me,

Set notification three more times own day in order to get it to work properly.

Ta,

Aidan

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@O365 Feedback Team
        The problem here is not the quarantine - frpm there our users get notifications immediately - the problem is the spam filter, which is necessary and needed (as other poster have explained before).

Our former antispam provider offered the possibility to configure his feature, so that we got at least one notification per hour and the IT staff was asked to set the notification frequency to that value.

Since we changed to EOP, there were several cases, where urgent and important emails of our customers sticked into the spam filter and our sales staff got informed at the next day, so we lost money (and maybe the customer also). Furthermore the relation between us and the customers turns bad, the sales staff is upset about the IT staff and the IT staff is stressed.

The recent setting (1 per day) may be ok for private use, but it is definitively not for companies, whose business depends on quick reactions (like stock exchange prices).

It would be helpful, when Microsoft would let us decide, if we want to get notification per hour or less. 3 per day is not enough for us, unless we could decide, at which time the 3 notifications (as the OP suggested) will be sent (i. e. 3 notifications during our business hours may be not enough, but anyway better than 1 per day).

The whole point of using quarantine/digest vs. junk mail folder is that it makes the user stop and think, rather than just clicking links in their junk mail folder. It is purely psychological, but is far more effective in combatting my 'curious clicker' users. However, with the ability to send multiple digests per day, my users will complain less about missing quarantined emails. OP isn't asking for a notification each time a message is quarantined. He/she is asking to increase frequency somewhat. I get this specific request from the C-suite and VPs regularly. In the past, we used proofpoint, which allowed you to do exactly that.

• Pablo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Why not send the mails to a junk folder which the user can check on demand?", that'd be a good option if the end user doesnt click on anything and in the process catch 400 trojan, 300 virus, the quarentine is the only way we have users dont compromised the infraestructure or network, please if any other spam filter has the option at least to schedule the time spam report is triggered why cant do it microsoft.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base