Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve compliance or protect your users better in Office 365?

End User Spam Notifacation - Frequency

Currently we can only have 1 email sent per day notifying the user they have spam in quarantine.

The email is usually sent just after midnight so if the user does not check their quarantine it could be a full 24 hours until the use is notified that they have spam to release.

Could I suggest that at least 3 times per day this email can be sent?

Cheers

496 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Pierre Jehan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
tell us more  ·  O365 Feedback Team responded  · 

Thank you for your feedback. We have a clarifying question that would help us to prioritize this better: If you need notices 3 (or more) times per day, why use quarantine at all? Why not send the mails to a junk folder which the user can check on demand? If you want a notice each time any message gets quarantined, again, what prevents just sending the mails to a junk folder instead?

56 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • DustinK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the ability to send spam notifications more frequently than once per day is standard. The fact we have to Vote on this being a priority is rather concerning. Get this completed already!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To respond to the O365 Feedback Team's question, my customers do not have the time to continuously check their quarantine or junk email folders. They need to be protected, but they also need to be notified when something is quarantined in order to see and release any false positives. Missing emails from clients = losing money for the employee and the company. One time a day is not enough.

The whole quarantine process needs to be better integrated with Outlook.

You should be able to see DYNAMICALLY what has been quarantined.
    You should see -x- items have been quarantined" or "--n-- new items in quarntine"
    You should to be able to go from Outlook directly to your quarantine manager.

Perhaps just another special folder - like spam -- but with a different type of content.
    BTW -- other 'system' folders (such as spam, Drafts need to be identifiable as 'system' folders or they get lost in the shuffle. Some additional icon / font or whatever.

• Stuart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just thought I'd add a comment so Microsoft could ignore it and do whatever they feel people want instead of what they actually want. Disgraceful business "partner"

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Issue with sending mail to junk is that antivirus that scans the .ost or .pst will scan junk and find malicious emails in there resulting in notifications. If they were moved to quarantine these would not be on the physical machine with outlook.

• Daniel Legg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How many years and complaints will go by until this is addressed? I guess I too have no choice but to take my company's business elsewhere.

SIMPLE SOLUTION: The daily mail should simply be a reminder. The user should get a notification at the time the mail is quarantined. It really is THAT simple.

• Pawel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have got the same problem and an answer to O365 Feedback Team: I do not want my user to receive emails into the Junk folder, because they do ring very often to ask me to look at their junk and tell them if the email that landed there is legitimate. I know that in 99.9% cases it is not, but the users don't. Because this was a serious time consumer for me I decided to go with the quarantine solution.
    Now I have got the MD's complaining that new customer messages are ending up in the quarantine and that the notifications are coming at 1AM. Really Microsoft, does that need any more explanation?

This issue is HIGHLY frustrating since it often catches emails needed to confirm an email account, that need to be replied to within a specified amount of time.

• Igor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@O365 Feedback Team ,
    > Why not send the mails to a junk folder which the user can check on demand?

That's easy.

1) Our IT department says that end-users must be isolated from "dangerous emails" (e.g. ".exe" and ".dll" attachments are banned). And that's kind of makes sense.

2) As an end user, I do want to be notified when some external person sends me something that ends up in the quarantine folder. That might be a very important email.

Thus:

a) End User Spam Notifications must isolate end-user from the dangerous content, so that user only gets a notification, but not the file/url/whatever (see https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/289138-office-365-security-compliance/suggestions/12556947-quarantine-notifications-but-no-release-functiona and maybe also https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/289138-office-365-security-compliance/suggestions/19947976-preview-quarantined-messages ). Otherwise, the IT depertment would just completely disable these notifications.

b) At least some users, at least sometimes DO WANT to get at least a notification. They want to be 100% sure they would receive at least something. Otherwise, the whole "send it via email" idea would be treated as unreliable. Users would avoid it. They would prefer non-approved 3rd party messaging apps (so do I), blaming Microsoft for creating unreliable stuff.

c) Preferably - the frequency should be user-configurable. Sometimes I expect an important email, and I do want the notification immediately (even if there would be 90% spam in there). Sometimes once per week is OK.

• George Boustead commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What group of idiots set this system up and is running it? I've been releasing the same messages from the same company for a couple of months now, after we switched from Gmail. This vendor's messages still all get quarantined..... yesterday I'm working with a customer, filling out a form, expecting an email response..... crickets...... submit again..... crickets. This was a business critical situation..... now this morning, I log on, and..... QUARANTINE!! there they are...... both submittals, 12 hours too late..... , you screwed my whole day.
    Ladies and Gentlemen, get your **** together. I've been doing email for nearly 20 years now, and mainframe based messaging before that. I even had to deal with several years worth of IBM's Lotus Notes for God's sake.
    I can honestly tell you that you have a long way to go to make this thing user friendly.
    Once every 24 hours?!?! Did it every occur to you, to provide a user capability to "Get Quarantine List" or something of the sort?!?! Idiots......

• Clayton Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will jump on this as well, but no response from O365 for awhile. We support a law firm that needs the notice more often that the middle of the night once a day. what if a client or judge emails wanting to move a trial last minute and they do not get the notice?

As stated, the junk is a horrible option for those wanting to keep malware/virus and such off the network. once it is on the PC, it could be too late. Come on MS, get it together.

For now, going back to the old provider as EOP just will not work for them.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here, client using office 365 started reporting more legitimate spam going into quarantine, needs notification every 4 hours really. We’ll be moving to another product that is just as cost effective to provide this facility. Junk mail not an option, as we would like to stop threats at the perimeter.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An option to enter the hour interval for notifications would be excellent. Sending the notification in the middle of the night seems arbitrary. What's the logic behind this? 24 hours might actually be ok if I could specify time of day for the notification, i.e. 3pm or 4pm just before users leave their desks for the day. This week Microsoft must have changed something about the logic because I've had users complain every day this past week about missing important emails from addresses they've corresponded with for months/years. Shouldn't that be part of the filtering logic to consider past communication? It's becoming burdensome working with the "Allow Senders" list. Pretty soon that list will be comprised of all legitimate domains. Once we get to that point then what's the point of Microsoft's spam logic if I'm managing the list manually?

• Dominik Dünnebacke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kudos. Delivering to junk e-mail folder is not an option we want to entertain as we do want to prevent malicious e-mail from entering our infrastructure.

• Brian Seaman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to see this, and in addition a configurable notification to admins for the system quarantine. We've been seeing increasing false positives on the "anti-phishing" quarantine file, and many of these messages have been time-sensitive court notifications or summons.

Having messages simply vanish on the way in, and then be delivered the morning after the court date, is causing users to become distrustful of the entire O365 mail and messaging system.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base