Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve compliance or protect your users better in Office 365?

Allow Settings for Message Expiration Timeout Interval and NDR

For some error codes related to sending mails, the senders may receive the NDR immediately. However, for some other error codes, the mail server marks the undeliverable messages as a temporary error and the senders doesn't immediately receive an NDR. Instead, Exchange Online repeatedly tries to deliver the message over two days. Only after two days of unsuccessful delivery attempts does the sender receive this NDR.

For some time critical businesses this is not acceptable. The user has to be informed very quickly (<6 hours) that his Mail was not delivered by now. Then the user can phone the recipient or sent the mail to another address. I do not care if exchange online continues trying to send the message after 6 hours, but the user has to be informed.

Exchange Server 2016 an older allowed customization of the Message Expiration Timeout Interval and NDR Settings. Please add this to ExchangeOnline

323 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    DB2105 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Keep the feedback coming. We appreciate continued details as to which option(s) would work best. The trick is balancing notifying users (who usually can’t take action, but certainly want to know when messages are delayed) vs. notifying the admins (who may or may not be able to take action but may not want such a quick notification — for example if they are responsible for a server that is down for planned maintenance or a DNS change which takes time to propagate). We would certainly like for this to be somewhat configurable in the future, but also are considering alternatives to the current 48 hours.

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew Nimon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is very important! I assumed that this was possible but I just didn't know how to do it. My clients need this functionality to make Office 365 viable when email delivery is critical.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When the O365 Help desk informed me that there was no way to configure O365 to change this behavior I was flabbergasted. How could a system that is touted as a "business solution" allow such a glaring lack of functionality to have even existed in the first place let alone not fix it after it was reported 2 years ago.

I can no longer recommend Office 365 for serious business use because of this gross inadequacy.

More than 2 years later... IT administrators need the ability to configure the Message Expiration Timeout Interval and NDR settings. 2 day default value is too long time.

• Don Hogan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Waiting 48 hours to receive an NDR is not acceptable. Especially with no notification to the sender, that their message is stuck in the queue. We have already lost millions by missing proposal deadlines because no one knew that their message was not delivered for 2 days. Their needs to be an adjustment put in place to allow Online Exchange Message Expiration Timeout to set to 2 - 4 – 6 hours (rather than 2 days) with a sender notification every hour that their message is not delivered yet.

In this day and age, 48 hours is much too long to notify the sender. Please make this configurable, or introduce another warning after 4-6 hours so the sender knows there's a potential problem prior to two days later.

• Fabian Melchior commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mail is unreliable now. 48 hours for a NDR is way too long these days. This is a big issue for my customers. If this problem isn't going te be solved asap, many of my customer will leave Office365 and use other mailsystems.

If the interval time can't be changed at the moment, please profit a delaynotification after 1 hour, with the message that the emailserver will be try delivering the mail for teh next 48Hours.

• Remo Weber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this issue: serious problem with serious money implications. I only can support the other statements here.

I'm surprised this hasn't been implemented yet. Come on Microsoft, this should be available.

• Francis St-PIerre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this issue. It has important consequences for urgent matters. Only for this I regret swicthing our business to the exchange service. We just lost a sale because of this. We sent our quote for the job in time, but there was an error in the mail adress, we received the failed delivery message after the last day of wich we could postulate on the job. Serious problem with serious money implications.

• Sascha Stops commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreeing with others here. We enforce TLS using a mail flow rule and users get only notified 48 hours after they send the email. This is not feasible. There should be an option to notify the user after the first or second failed attempt of delivery. Users might be sending urgent messages and do not get notified if they don't get through.

• Matt Skorupski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More than 2 years later...Has this topic been forgotten? 2 day-retry may have been necessary in the past with lag and internet connectivity issues. These days of instant and reliable connectivity, if something is down for more than two hours a notice should be sent.

• Paul Kecun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chiming in. We're enforcing TLS everywhere and we don't even get a delivery delayed message - just a bounce after 2 days.

I'd expect a non-TLS negotiation to be rejected immediately, not queued for 2 days because STARTTLS was unavailable.

Found this while looking for a solution to the error as I know the email address is good.
        I also support the need for a quicker delivery of the NDR

• Nathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2 day timeout is a problem for us, is TLS is not excepted and e-mail is not delivered the user has to know within a few hours

• Ken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ONCE AGAIN 2 DAY TIMEOUT LIMIT HAS LED TO TAX RETURNS NOT BEING FILED IN TIME

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow IT administrators the ability to configure the Message Expiration Timeout Interval and NDR settings beyond the 2 day default value, this is far too long for many companies we support.

• Ole Gunnar Deila commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update please- This has to be changed.... it is urgent. It is unacceptable that we must wait 48 hours to not know email delivery...... !

• Claire Simmons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on this at all? We are finding the timeout unacceptable.

My users are finding this very frustrating.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base