Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve compliance or protect your users better in Office 365?

Office 365 mail queue viewer and control

It will be better if Admins get the option to view the mail queue in Office 365. We will have more control on the email flow if this option is enabled.

325 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Vamshi Gopalapuram shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback.

Today you can see messages which are “pending” in a queue through Message Trace feature. In the Mail flow Dashboard, you can see messages queued for more than an hour. We’ve also created alerting for this condition. Can you tell us what other things you need and what the scenarios look like / how commonly you need to perform the task?

This would help us when evaluating this item further.

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Fares commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Realtime email monitoring is important when the recipient (internal or external) report email not delivered.

I think it can be (Mail manager page) with multi tabs(SMTP Quarantine,SMTP Spool,SMTP Log,
        SMTP Corrupt, Close) with ability to search in all tabs by (mail, domain, IP ...etc.).
        also SMTP log tab show (Delivered, Rejected, Quarantined, Blackholed, Cancelled, Bounced, Deleted, Unknown).
        its exactly same as Sophos UTM 9 (Mail manager) which provide many useful information.

• David Lockridge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mike is correct on this. Being able to see "Pending" is really not much of a value because we really can't do anything with it besides say "yes, the message is pending". Being able to initiate a retry on a queue or message would be extremely beneficial as we have no control over this currently in EXO.

• Mike Dienes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to be able to clear the queue. Say for instance we had a connection drop and it remained down for a while and tons of emails backed up, in some instances we would like to clear that queue so it doesn't overwhelm the downstream system.

• David Lockridge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Echoing the comments here... having the ability to view our mail queue and/or release something in retry is a fairly critical component to messaging administrators. If we can only see "our" data in the O365 portals, we should be able to only see "our" email in a queue viewer.

• Joey Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I may have missed it in this thread but is there anyway to force a retry on the send of a message in queue? When doing migrations and testing hybrid setup it is frustrating form the cloud side either having to wait for a pending stuck message to retry or sending a new message. This can consume alot of time when putting in the smtp firewall acls. It would be great to have a option in the web portal to retry messages. Is this option available and I am not aware of it? If it isnt introducing this would be great for migration engineers

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is important for me to know the content of the outbound queue and according to Microsoft this is not possible in the O365 administrator interface. Because of this limitation our company's outbound email is not able to be deliver.

I want to be able to delete deferred/pending jobs from the queue with & without sending an NDR for security reasons that should be obvious to developers..

• Hil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can we monitor the total amount of pending messages in the queue?
        Is there like an HTTP request or powershell query?

• Allister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>Can you tell us what other things you need and what the scenarios look like / how commonly you need to perform the task?

Where is anything documented RE viewing a mail queue in O365? It isn't anywhere in Microsoft's documentation and I have wasted 30 minutes searching through it. Get-Queue is not an accepted command via remote powershell to Exchange in O365, and like "get-command *queue*" shows nothing. You have wasted my time with your BS answer, there is no queue viewing currently.

• BillR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. We regular look at real-time email queues in our on-prem environment - People are used to email flowing very quickly, and when it doesn't they call. For instance, how many times have people been on a conference call, and someone says that they will email something out for you to look at during the call. - When they don't get it quickly, we get called, and we can see it in the queue. The transport logs aren't real-time enough, and getting a count of how many email messages are backed up to one company is very challenging and inaccurate (since the tracking logs don't have real-time info). I don't understand MSFT's answer for not having this feature. The response we got from MSFT was that making the queues unavailable makes it so MSFT and others can't get to sensitive email from other customers. However, we can see this type of sensitive stuff in the tracking logs. It seems more like a design challenge.
        Anyway, this is the primary show-stopping issue holding us back from our company moving from on-prem Exchange to Office 365 Exchange. (And we're even licensed for E3, and not moving).

• Marcus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Admins need a console/dashboard to view and monitor the mail queue. How is this not a feature set of Exchange? I had this 22 years ago with Lotus Notes. God I miss those days.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very useful feature for certain situations and should be added to the Admin tools in O365.

Personally I would like to be able to remove messages from the queue and see if something is causing a backlog. For example, today I had a few compromised accounts that blasted >10,000 email messages out and i knew they were queued/pending, but could do nothing to clear them. i had to let them go out and wait for them to stop.

Why is this basic feature not a part of Exchange Online? Even a powershell cmdlet like Get-QueueDigest would be acceptable.

• Randy in Marin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 90000 emails incoming from a faulty server. Can my admin delete these? Do I have to actually receive all 90000 emails.

• Vamshi Gopalapuram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this day in and out because our C level users are complaining that they are not receiving some important mails and we have no clue if it is in queue or not. And we want to have a real time view of what type of mails are floating in my domain to have a better control and block if required

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base