Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve compliance or protect your users better in Office 365?

SMTP through Office365

When using SMTP through Office365, there is Recipient rate limit of 10,000 recipients per day, It's not enough. I suggest to raise the value.
If the mailbox that sending the mail through the SMTP server is reach the limit, The SMTP sever will not send mail through the mailbox for 24 hours.

Sami Yehezkel

20 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
try this instead  ·  O365 Feedback Team responded  · 

Sorry for the inconvenience, but this is by design to protect the service and our customers from abuse. What limit would you suggest might satisfy your needs?

If 10,000 per day is not enough, we suggest one of many alternatives:

1) Use the SMTP relay method (option #3) which has no limit (instead of authenticated client submission)
2) Use direct send; sometimes there really is not a good advantage to route via EOP when you need to send mass email

See https://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn554323(v=exchg.150).aspx for more information.

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jesse Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SMTP limits are an issue. In my case, a report hits (Citrix-ShareFile) which uses a paid licensed user ID and the App needs to notify both internal and external users. So it needs to send a 150+ notices. We never hit 10,000 but the limit errors out the 30/min limits. Please fix this.

• MileHighScribs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stupid! You can protect "our users" the correct way- by algorithm not by lazy limits - You its lazy, instead of fixing the issue you give us option 3? set up your own relay. WOW I would be ashamed to work for you.

• ITzik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, what are the max recipients limit of the SMTP relay option? is it the same max 500 limitation of mailbox submission? Thanks.

I have a customer got realy NDR of "Too Many Recipients" while tryng to send a message with 450 recipients.

Thanks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you confirm that there are No Limits in Option 3 as mentioned above. I dont see any mention of No Limits anywhere in the article shared.

Feedback and Knowledge Base