Office 365 Security & Compliance

Welcome to the Security (Protection) & Compliance UserVoice forum. We’re happy you’re here! If you have suggestions or ideas on how to improve Security or Compliance related features in O365, we’d love to hear them!

How it works
◾Check out the ideas others have suggested and vote on your favorites
◾If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit your own — 25 words or less, please
◾Include one suggestion per post

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve these features in Office 365!

Need Tech Support? Please see the O365 Community for the product or feature you are having issues with, or open a support ticket through your Office 365 administrator portal.

How can we improve compliance or protect your users better in Office 365?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Implement Sender Rewriting Scheme (SRS) to Resolve Forwarding Issues

Forwarding in SMTP is fundamentally flawed unless you implement SRS.

http://www.openspf.org/SRS

If you maintain the Return-Path of the originating message while forwarding you effectively spoof the originating domain.

If you modify the Return-Path to be the address of the account that forwarded a message you break the Return-Path chain and delivery issues will result in the forwarded message Delivery Status Notification (DSN) being delivered to the forwarding user and not the original sender.

SRS resolves this by modifying the Return-Path in a way that doesn't spoof the originating domain but still allows DSNs to be sent to the original sender.

443 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      22 comments  ·  Spam & Phishing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Improve message tracing in Exchange online

We have had a lot of issues with spam, whether its cryptovirus emails getting through, or good emails getting improperly blocked. Because of this, we need good message tracing (to find the emails), which we do not feel we have with exchange online. We would like to make the following suggestions:

1. Need to be able to trace further than 7 days back without a 4 hour wait per trace. Our previous message tracing system could go back the entire year nearly instantly, but we need at least 30 days without the 4 hour wait per trace. This was pitched…

197 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        8 comments  ·  Message Trace  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to submit this feedback. Since there are multiple pieces and layers of feedback in this single post, it makes it more difficult than many to address. First, let us share a little about what we’ve been doing. Since this post was made, we have prioritized performance and reliability improvements for both Message Trace (inside 7 days) and Historical Search (typically outside of 7 days). We’ve added details to Message Trace that weren’t there before, decreasing the need to run Historical Searches inside of 7 days. For Historical Search, we have improved the results to be more clear for those who are not familiar with the Exchange Message Tracking log format. Additionally, while we get the total value of Message Trace, we’ve also prioritized reducing the constant need to search & destroy. We’ve made tremendous strides in effectiveness, even as the bad guys got more…

• Improve classification of "internal senders" in malware scanning

I like that I can enable "Notify administrator about undelivered messages from internal senders" in the malware policy.

I don't like that the malware detection engine has no idea if a sender is actually internal. It does simple domain-matching, which means that if someone is sending out malware and spoofing the sender address to pretend that it's from us, then I get notifications for days. Can't it at least do an SPF check?

25 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          6 comments  ·  Malware  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Disable TLS 1.0

At some point to maintain PCI compliance we will need to disable TLS 1.0. I have been told more than one time that we cannot disable TLS 1.0 now on our hybrid Exchange 2016 on-premise servers without losing functionality. We need a patch or update that would allow us to disable TLS 1.0 and still have full Exchange functionality.

19 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Advanced Security Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While it is likely that Office 365 will need to leave TLS 1.0 enabled broadly for the near future, we are rolling out TLS 1.2 by default which will allow us to publish updated guidance for Exchange on-premises. Please stay tuned to EHLO blog for further updates — several configuration changes will be necessary to ensure everything works smoothly.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base