Feedback by UserVoice

Office 365 Groups

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Welcome! This is your place to share ideas on how we can make the Groups feature in Office 365 even better. While we cannot respond to every post, we are committed to reviewing each one.

How it works

• Check out the ideas others have suggested and vote on your favorites
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit your own — 25 words or less, please
  • Include only one idea or suggestion per post

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Office 365 Groups!

Need Tech Support? Please see the Sites and document sharing forum in the O365 Community.

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. View members of group in Outlook for Mac

Distribution Lists and Outlook 365 Groups are still handled differently by Outlook for Mac. One example is that you can view the membership of a distribution list but you cannot view the membership of a group.

104 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. URL to show Group Calendar view

A distinct URL to display a group calendar view. Currently a URL will display the calendar alongside the users calendar but only if they are a member of the group, if the group is public the URL should display the calendar.

104 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow us to print a message(s) from an Outlook Group

In Outlook 2016, you can hack around this by forwarding the message, then in the forward window, hit PRINT, then close the fowarded message window without ever sending it, but this is not intuitive and a bit of a pain.

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bulk import - users / groups

Please add option to add more than one member at a time, be it by copy & paste (e-mail addresses) or by csv import, etc. Same to add existing AD (distribution) group.

100 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. change locale settings for Office 365 group files

Administrators should be able to configure locale settings (including language, date and time settings, time zone, etc) for all new and existing Office365 groups and their files.

97 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Change email address of unified group without having to change it through Powershell

One of Microsoft technician said this was a bug and need to be fixed.
    When creating a unified group and having a federated domain one is not possible to change the unified group email address. I have to go into Powershell and run this command: set-UnifiedGroup techniciangroup -EmailAddresses SMTP:techniciangroup@somedomain.com,SMTP:techniciangroup@contoso.onmicrosoft.com to have it working. Please fix that.

96 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Granular delegation and/or approval of group creation

The current state of GroupCreationEnabled in OWA mailbox policies makes it hellacious to delegate or control who can create groups. Customers should be able to easily delegate group creation to admins or "trained" users.

Currently this requires customers to "fork" their OWA mailbox policies, just to have a container on which to set GroupCreationEnabled to true. Then it become VERY difficult to manage as OWA mailbox policies are not "inherited"--any future change to corporate policies has to be deployed across multiple OWA mailbox policies.

Better yet, a group creation request form, with "approval" delegated.

96 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’re addressing this feedback by promoting the ability to manage group membership into Active Directory. In the near future, an admin can identify a security group that includes the users allowed to create Office 365 Groups form all endpoints. Then you can manage the membership in that security group as any other security group in your organization.

Note that the initial configuration to identify the group will be done in powershell.

8. Shared Contacts

I was hoping that switching to O365 Groups would allow our small team to share contact information. Sadly it seems only Files and Calendars are an option.

I would very much like to have a "shared contacts" area within the group - these should be editable by the group owner(s) and be available for viewing on the Groups mobile app as well as from within Outlook.

96 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. optional group welcome email

Whenever someone is added to a new sharepoint group we need a option to "not notify" the user that the user has been added to the group.
    The reason being that email basically serves no purpose other than letting them know which would be okay if it didn't confuse the user byt showing all the thing they can do in the e-mail. This is misleading and unnecessary. If I create a group in PowerBI, they don't get any info regarding Power BI but a general email. The most probable thing a user does after reading the email is click on…

94 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add RSS support for Outlook 2016 for Mac

Need the ability to add RSS feeds to Outlook 2016 for Mac. This feature works great for Windows Outlook 2016, this should carry over. Our school district is looking into rss feeds for our staff news, but our district is about 50% Mac. Need this functionality on both platforms.

93 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Hide Groups

Please give us the option to hide the Groups section altogether on the email login page - I'm sure it's a nice feature for some, but there's some of us out here who don't and won't use the Groups feature, so it's annoying to always have to hide in upon logging in.

92 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We have made changes in OWA and Outlook such that if a user doesn’t want to view their groups or not want to use the groups, they can collapse the Groups node in the left navigation panel. And it will stay collapsed unless the user opens it again, it is saved across reboots and app restart.
    Overall feedback about reducing the clutter is a valid feedback, and we will take this into account as we think about simplifying the overall experience.

12. Save Email to Group Folder

Today, I receive a LOT of project email to my own email address, and I store it in my own Outlook project folder. Unfortunately, that keeps it completely separate from the group.Now I KNOW I can forward a copy of the email to the group email address. OR, I can attach it to OneNote (which is what I'm doing right now). Why not give me the opportunity to save it directly to the Group's folder, which would store it with the Group conversations, and alert those subscribed that something important to the project has just come in. That would be…

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. smtp alias

Microsoft tells us to use the new Office 365 Groups instead of distribution groups, but the new Office 365 groups doesn't have the functionality to add email aliases as distribution groups allows me to do. Sometimes I need to add aliases just to be sure that also misspelled or variants of an email address gets through. Add this simple function please!

86 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow conversion of 365 groups back to distribution lists.

Allow Unified Groups to be converted back into plain old distribution lists. I know this does not align with Microsoft's strategic plans, but frankly groups have too many quirks and many users are accustomed to the way distribution lists work. Please allow easy conversion from a unified group back to a distribution list, either via Powershell or the GUI.

86 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Integrate Microsoft Forms with 365 groups

Integrate Forms with 365 groups allowing the owner of the group to submit a questionnaire or quiz directly to other members of the group

85 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Link Out of Office auto reply to Outlook calendar appointments which are out of office

Would be useful if, when an Outlook calendar item is given the 'Out of Office' category, Outlook would automatically send an Out of Office message, perhaps with dynamic details such as when you will be back in the office.

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow admins and users to choose if they want to receive copies of emails sent to Office 365 groups

Hello,

Recently, users who send emails to Office 365 groups no longer receive a copy of the email in their inbox as a feedback of many users. This solves the needs of many users but not all. My suggestion is:
    - Allow Office 365 admins to choose group by group if copies are sent to the sender inbox, similar to the already existing option that defines if members receive a copy of emails in their inbox
    - Allow users themselves to override whatever option admin has set in this particular option and in the already existing option of sending copies…

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow Creation of Naming Policy for O365 Groups

Allow Administrators to set naming policy that applies to O365 Groups only, and not all groups. This will allow more organizations to better mange groups and open up more self-service. One idea is ability to have year group was created attached to title of group. For example "O365-(Group name/Project/Department) -Year(year created)" This will allow for yearly review of groups and maintenance.

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Saving documents (Word, Excel) directly to an Office 365 Group without the Group being synced.

Right now, we can only save documents to synced Groups. Or the workaround is to save somewhere, then manually upload to the Group.

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)