Feedback by UserVoice

Office 365 Groups

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Welcome! This is your place to share ideas on how we can make the Groups feature in Office 365 even better. While we cannot respond to every post, we are committed to reviewing each one.

How it works

• Check out the ideas others have suggested and vote on your favorites
  • If you have a suggestion that’s not listed yet, submit your own — 25 words or less, please
  • Include only one idea or suggestion per post

Thanks for joining our community and helping improve Office 365 Groups!

Need Tech Support? Please see the Sites and document sharing forum in the O365 Community.

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Disable email notifiations when assiging to group

For an admin adding people as members to various groups, provide a way of disabling the email notifications. Use case:
    - people in my org don't even know what O365 groups are and this will create confusion and potential calls to the help desk when I don't want it to.
    - don't want to bug people with things they likely don't care about (at least for now).

506 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve manageability of email alias of groups

Email alias does not support many characters that are common in email addresses (e.g. "dot"), and cannot be changed after initial configuration. Additionally, alias creates an email address using the tenancy's "default" domain--doesn't allow you to select a domain if a tenancy has multiple domains. Finally, can't be changed after creation. All three of these are painful!

473 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable Group calendars in Outlook for iOS

I really hope the Outlook Groups app is just a temporary solution. It's completely unusable and a terrible UI with regards to calendaring. No week or month view, no ability to see your personal calendar at the same time to check for availability or conflicts. We have many users who live on their iPhones throughout the day with little or no access to the desktop apps. Please add Group calendars directly to Outlook for iOS.

404 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    37 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Groups Button in App Launcher

Please add a Groups button in the App Launcher. I thought this was a planned release.

I understand the reasoning behind Groups and modern teams and using Delve. However, my clients don't care and want a button. Thanks

380 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. auto response or auto-reply for Office 365 groups

we have an office 365 groups which needs auto-response but unfortunately this feature is not supported. it would be nice if we have this feature the same as the mailbox behaves.

370 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Merge the two Office 365 Groups

We have an increasing request about mage O365 group (most typicality Planner group in to other existing group that is more actively using for file share.

User start the group in mind that using some specific feature of O365 and later find out two or three slimier group exist and want to merge into.

I would like to have feature support ted at least by the tenant global administrator or better with group's own administrator, if the person has admin role in both group.

This will help tidy up the ever growing number of groups and better use by end…

340 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Office 365 Groups Expiration - Need Exclusion Feature

What’s really needed is an exclusion list, ex: Expire all groups EXCEPT for these 5 that I really really care about. All the others, let the owners decide if they want to keep them, but these 5, I keep important stuff in there, and I don’t want to sweat it about missing an email and potentially losing all that information.
    Otherwise, due to the dynamic nature of groups, if I set a selected list of groups that I want to expire, I would have to keep coming back to this to keep it updated since any user can self create…

340 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 338 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Alias for Office 365 groups

Similar to Distribution Group aliases.

321 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Convert distribution groups to mail-enabled security groups

I have a need to convert a number of distribution groups to mail-enabled security groups. Right now I have to record DG members, delete the DG, create the SG and populate the SG.

312 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Move documents directly from Onedrive to a specific Group.

When contributing to a Group. Enable feature to move documents directly from Onedrive to a specific map within a Group. (now done by downloading / uploading). But documents are already in Office 365

281 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 365 Group Deletion Policy

Currently an Owner of a group can delete that group - I'm aware soft-deletion is coming, but ideally we want to be able to stop users from deleting groups entirely. An Azure policy to specify who can delete groups would put power back with the IT Dept. This will allow us to empower users, but without the risk of them deleting groups and the content getting past the retention period and being permanently lost.

266 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Create folders in Office 365 groups

Create folders in Office 365 groups for better organization and for managing emails.

235 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    27 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Private Personal Planner (Like Personal OneDrive)

Users, by default, should get a personal, private, Planner just like their personal OneDrive. The problem is that if a user wants to use Planner, just for themselves, it creates an entire O365 Group which becomes visible in the GAL and the entire organization. It also creates mail, sharepoint site, etc... which is completely unnecessary and wastes resources (because the user already has mail and onedrive) just for a personal planner.

224 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Create new group from template and/or existing group

To ensure consistent Groups across the organization, be able to create a new group from an existing group, keeping the structure (Navigation/sub-sites, Library folders, Notebook sections, Planner buckets..) without the content/documents

224 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Naming Policy for Azure Premium Customers Only

In Microsoft's April update for Office 365 groups they mention the Azure AD naming policy is coming but only for Azure Premium customers. This should not be the case. Proper management of Office 365 groups should include naming policies. Without naming policies, there is a large potential for namespace collisions for folks who do not use the Azure AD premium service. This is something that should be available to all not just Azure AD premium customers.

223 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Associate Office 365 Groups to Existing SharePoint Sites

When creating an Office 365 Group, a SharePoint site is automatically created. Neither the user nor the administrator, however, have any control of where that group lives or what template it uses.

Ideally, users would be able to alternatively associate an Office 365 Group with an EXISTING SharePoint site, thus allowing them to a) choose any location, b) choose any template, and c) associate with current SharePoint infrastructure (instead of potentially duplicating content).

Obviously, the site would need to a) meet some preconditions, b) be upgraded to satisfy requirements, or c) have limited integration support. For instance, the site would…

215 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    working on it  ·  10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. enable Office 365 Groups calendars in Outlook mobile app.

There is no option to view office 365 groups calendars on outlook for mobile (android and iphone)

204 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Changes to UnifiedGroup.EmailAddresses does not sync with MsolGroup.ProxyAddresses

The changes are additive but if you remove an email address from UnifiedGroup.EmailAddresses, it is not reflected in MsolGroup.ProxyAddresses. This is important for organizations that host multiple domains in the same tenant.

To reproduce:

New-UnifiedGroup -DisplayName "myawesomegroup" -Notes "myawesomegroup" -Alias "myawesomegroup" -EmailAddress "myawesomeness@contoso.onmicrosoft.com" -owner "consultant@contoso.com" -AccessType Public -Verbose

Get-UnifiedGroup myawesomegroup | select *

Set-UnifiedGroup myawesomegroup -PrimarySmtpAddress "myawesomeness@contoso.com"

Set-UnifiedGroup myawesomegroup -PrimarySmtpAddress "yourawesomeness@contoso.onmicrosoft.com"

Set-UnifiedGroup myawesomegroup -EmailAddresses @{remove="SMTP:myawesomeness@contoso.onmicrosoft.com"}

Set-UnifiedGroup myawesomegroup -EmailAddresses @{remove="SMTP:myawesomeness@contoso.com"}

$msolGroup = Get-MsolGroup | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -eq "myawesomegroup"}

$msolGroup.ProxyAddresses

This shows all the email addresses that have been added.…

201 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Microsoft teams and OneNote Notebook integration

Even though on https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Frequently-asked-questions-about-Microsoft-Teams-%E2%80%93-Admin-Help-05cbe533-2181-4e95-a4b0-52cd7695fafc it states you can keep using your existing OneNote when you add Teams functionality to an existing Office 365 Group this is a bit misleading.

It in essence creates a new section per team channel in the notebook but all the content you previously created in the Notebook in the Office 365 Group is not visible in the 'Notes' tab in Microsoft Teams and as such is not usabel/accessible from the Teams client.

Very annoying and not quite sure why this was an accepted design choice by MS.

201 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Office 365 Groups

Feedback and Knowledge Base