How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

recover / restore deleted office 365 group

It is currently not possible to recover/restore a deleted office 365 group, if accidentally deleted. In that case all files will be lost! Please add the ''recover deleted office 365 group' option. Also being able to recover the files / group from the administrator 'site settings\recycle bin' option in sharepoint, would be very helpful.

650 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    CyilCyil shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DrGeeDrGee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about a warning...
        I just a little nag.
        For example: "Deleting this Office 365 Group the group site is also deleted, and the email Inbox is deleted. And cannot be recovered. etc…." Click Yes to continue….

• Graham SmithGraham Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on this development? This ticket has been in development for some time and it would be great to have some sense when we will be able to recover a deleted group.

• DougDoug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

your roadmap does not give any ETA. When will this most basic functionality be available?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here is the situation. We had an office 365 group. When Microsoft Teams was announced we created a team and then associated it with the O365 group. It was felt that we didn't want to have this particular group open to the team so we deleted the group through the Teams application, not understanding that it would also delete the O365 Group. This was significant issue especially in light of the fact that you cannot recover any of the documents. User Beware, and I would suggest that this could be significant enough that you prioritize this as a needed feature before you role this solution out.

• DougDoug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the same in the new MS Teams, someone could delete the entire team.

• Chris WilliamsonChris Williamson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, it's been nearly 6 months since the feedback team has posted that they are working on this and over a year since the suggestion was posted and MS is still offering a dangerous tool that is just begging for an admin or end user to make an unrecoverable "oopsie"... at least I can disable O365 group creation via PowerShell.

• ProtestantProtestant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Office 365 is DANGEROUS service you've ever seen.
        I accidently deleted an office 365 group and lost all of the data attached to it.
        It is just one shot to lose your 3-month-efforts and it never returns to you.
        Of course, Microsoft would not help in any way.
        If Microsoft is not going to develop the function to recover Office 365 groups right away,
        Offie 365 is just GARBAGE service, it should not be considered as your business tool.

• Faisal NahianFaisal Nahian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a client whose group was accidentally deleted and lost all the data. Please come up with a retention policy and recovery method soon. Thank you.

• Michiel Van Den BroekMichiel Van Den Broek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only recover / restore... but archive a group, so it's hidden until someone needs it again. Or a way that I can hide it in all the other apps and only see a "archived" group in the groups website in O365.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OMG, I was cleaning up the duplicate groups in AD and had no idea that it would delete the SharePoint site created for it as well (I didn't even know there was one, but my users let me know real quick)

• AndreasAndreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AFAIK currently also backup tools (of course we use one) have no access to O365 group files and mailboxes as these are all hidden from the administrators. hope we get there asap

• AndreasAndreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

crazy! how can you even recommend to use O365 groups in production when there is such a flaw in it!? we had the need to look into this topic because last week a group we used to plan internal tasks with suddenly disappeared. even MS support could not find any delete command so nobody can explain why it disappeared and there is no recovery option. what it this were files for a customer project

• Scott VarcoeScott Varcoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature shouldn't have been made public without this feature. Everything in O365 needs to be recoverable.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base