Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Move documents directly from Onedrive to a specific Group.

When contributing to a Group. Enable feature to move documents directly from Onedrive to a specific map within a Group. (now done by downloading / uploading). But documents are already in Office 365

281 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for wanting this functionality if it doesn't already exist. Had a look and couldn't find it.

• dpsmith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could someone give us an update on this?

We're in the GCC (Government Cloud) and we still cannot copy or move a file from OneDrive into an Office 365 Group. Following the group as well as following the group's "site" have no effect.

Is there a SharePoint-specific setting we're just missing?

• K B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely critical. Teams/Groups fails when trying to upload any significant amount of files. Honestly we are trying to commit to using Teams but stuff like this is pushing my user base further and further away from adoption.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you follow the Groups team site you will have this option. You'd think that subscribing to the group would just follow the team site.

Any timeline for this? This is a huge issue that weakens the utility of the whole system.

• Fiona Dee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree. This is absolutely unbelievable that this is not resolved. Is there any update on a timeframe?

• Stephanie Heeren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still not possible? That's unbelievable. This shouldn't be a flaw in the first place, not to mention that it hasn't been fixed in the last 6 months. Free services offer better products at the moment.

I need to move files from one group to another......It doesn't appear that this is possible at this time

• R. de Boer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our users have the same experience, they have documents in Onedrive and want to copy them to their specific groupfolder. A workaround to this is to show the Groupfolder in the Windows Explorer, create a network shortcut (WebDav) of this, so it appears as a folder in the Explorer.

This allows the use of the Windows Explorer to copy the files from the Onedrive to their specific groupfolder. It works, but this functionality should be in the Office365 environment.

• Maarten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have been looking for this feature because I could not believe it was not possible. Please fix this!

• SjoerdV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with BChuck. additionally when moving (not copying) files or folders the Created and Modified dates and people associated should be preserved as well as the version history as well as individual permissions. I can imagine an interface that will allow copy/move actions like this: 'personal OneDrive' <-> SharePoint sites you are following + Office Groups you are a member of

• BChuck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. In addition to having a more seamless move process, downloading and uploading a document deletes the file history which is terrible. I'd like to move a file between Document libraries, Groups, and OneDrive as needed without losing the critical version history.

This is a huge flaw in the whole OneDrive for Business .. I should be able to move my files seamlessly between my folders on OneDrive, to groups. Saves in the duplication of files and the many steps to take a working document from my own folder and share it to the group, without downloading and uploading to the group and then going back and deleting from my personal folder. Same with email attachments, one should be able to save to any folder in my OneDrive including the groups that I am a member of. Drives me crazy and is a real time waster. Major flaw!

Feedback and Knowledge Base