Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Enable Group Calendars to show in Outlook 2016

Outlook 2016 allows access to Conversations, Calendar, Files and Notebook. However, it's not possible to view a Group Calendar in the Calendar pane, which means that you cannot display side-by-side calendar views with any other Outlook/SharePoint calendar. It'd be great if this feature could be added!

1,579 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Stanley Yau shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news!
At this point, all users on the Monthly Channel for Office 365 ProPlus should see all their groups in the left navigation pane in the calendar module.

Users on Semi-Annual Channel and Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) should see all their groups in the left navigation pane in the calendar module in builds /after/ 1808.

Whichever version you’re on, you can always go to the group from the mail module, and then press “Calendar” from the ribbon. As well, you can also right click on the group in the left nav in the mail module, and favorite it; this will also make the group appear in the left nav in the calendar module.

73 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My share calendar tab is grayed out. how can i turn this on in outlook?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I log on to my work Office 365 account through OWA and use Calendar, I see the Group of which I am a member in the left-hand column.

When I access my account through Outlook 2016 client, I do NOT see Groups listed, even in the MAIL view. Dan says to 'expand Groups'... I have no Groups to expand.

Any ideas as to why not?

• Stefan Fritsch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Kurt: The proposal is that this is handled the way every other calendar is handled in Outlook. Outlook doesn't have a problem with 200 people in an organization so there is no reason groups can't be done the same way.

• Parisa Zare commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Today you need to add group calendars as your favorite in order to see them side by side in Outlook desktop. Other options are to view group calendars side by side in OWA and our Outlooks Groups app. You don't have to add them to your favorites in OWA or our groups app. We are taking steps to also include this feature in Outlook desktop.

• Michiel Van Den Broek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And as an add on here: make the Groups calendar able to open on a smartphone in the native calendar app. My clients want to see the group calendar next to their personal calendar.

• Michiel Van Den Broek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The way this works (as Dan explains) is not logical from an Outlook user perspective. Either a calendar automatically opens when you become a member of a group (same way as when you get delegated access to a shared/user mailbox) or you open the calendar the same way as you would open another calendar. Not this "oh you just have to know that you add it to favorites"-way.

Another annoyance in this method. When I add a group to my favorites, it start showing icons in front of the folders, which are hidden by default in Outlook since OL2013.

• K Abbott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd been wondering about this, no way would I have figured that out. Many Thanks!

• jsk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks, did not know that, and yes, it is hidden and doesn't make sense the way you have to implement favourites to have it in the calendar view!

• Tod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You must be freakin kidding me. I have been pouring through documentation, group management, etc. etc. Add to favorites before you can see the calendar in Outlook?!!!! Not calendars. Not Open Calendar. Go to email, add to favorites if you want to see your shared calendar in Office 365. OMG.

• Kurt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What if there were 200 groups in your organization? It makes sense that only favorites would be available.

• Dan Holme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PS to MS Engineers: This does need to be made MUCH easier... this is definitely not discoverable.

• Dan Holme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this helps: You can see group calendars in Outlook 2016 but you must ADD THE GROUP TO FAVORITES first. That step is in your Inbox (silly... I know...). In your MAIL view in Outlook, expand Groups, right-click the group, and add to favorites. Voila. The calendar is available in the CALENDAR view.

1 2 4 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base