Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Change groups sites/URL URL.

Today when you create a group, it is created under the "/sites" managed path. Please change this so we always can have complete governance over the /sites-path. So when we want to create new site-collections you won't get URL-conflicts.

965 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Arne Nøstvik shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • B. van Draanen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree also. Because when we create several Office365 Groups, sometimes the standard URL is different. When standard URL can be changed, administration of Groups would be much more better.

• Jennifer McTaggart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Beck is 100% dead on for this. I recently had a case where my SP Admin was trying to create a site collection that conflicted with an O365 group. Instead of the failure message stating that, it displayed 'Access Denied'. In hindsight, I understand it, but at the time, it was very unclear and caused us a few hours of chasing our tails. Please give us more control over O365 Groups!

• Beck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What would be great would be if the SPO URL for sites created by Office 365 groups had /groups in the path instead of /sites. That would be another way to avoid this conflict. I was asked to create a /sites/marketing SPO site however I was getting an access denied message as a global admin. Turns out there was an Office 365 group created 2 months ago called Marketing and since sites created automatically for groups use the /sites URL they in essence squatted on the URL 1st. My global admin account did not have access to the group, hence the access denied message when trying to create the new site collection with the sites/marketing URL. *facepalm*

• J Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

be great if we can change SharePointSiteUrl address when our business want to change the group's name details.
        Can seem to change the primary smtp address via powershell - but for the site's url - no go.. can this be looked into? This would be a practical solution to a business problem that can happen, outside of IT's control.

• Tiffany commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow this update! It's frustrating to have groups change names and be unable to update the url to follow. Name changes are an unavoidable business reality.

• Jeff West commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to control URLs for my own preference of naming convention would be ideal. I have a group that has been appended 7 times with random numbers and I cannot do anything about it.

• J Yates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When creating an azure AD dynamic Office 365 group, the URL is the unique ID of the group (which is a GUID), which doesn't make sense. It should be the name of the group. This would be a use case to change the URL

• PSJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This governance problem is really getting worser with Teams launched. Teamgroups are also using /sites/...
        Managing consistent SharePoint sitecollection names is a total disaster ATM, thinking about disabling Teams before governance is getting out of control

• Aaron Hawryluk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a SharePoint governance nightmare. Please fix, or at least allow us to see the Groups site collections in the list of site collections.

• Frederick Lin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've reconfigured or tenant to have Groups be created in the /teams managed path but it doesn't help with Groups that already reside in the /sites managed path.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear SPO / Office 365 team, this is really a mess. Please get this fixed soon and make the admins life easier...

• mijanou bishoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can already set al net groups sites te be created at the /teams managed path. This leaves /sites for the non-group SPO sites created from the admin centre. It's doesn't give you a lot of options but at least it's something.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base