Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Add security groups to Office 365 groups

I need a way of making security groups part of an Office 365 group. I want to be able to add users to a security group and then they are automatically a member of a Office 365 group.

Dynamic group membership only appears to work for user attribute values and not their group membership.

974 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really so import for every organisation, which has many changes in their organisationstructure. In our case we have 4 times a year a big change in out HR structure resulting in a mess of changing group permissions. It would be so much easier with security groups.

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The whole group thing is a mess and I would perceive that MS is using this to drive companies to the Cloud and away from on-prem.
        The real problems are the lack of interoperability, the lack of nested group support and how GPOs are applied and leveraged.
        MS has created User Group Entities in MS Teams that can 1way sync to Office 365 group entities that are populated in AzureAD but cannot be linked to the AzureAD on-prem groups that are synced.

This screams of a Development group that does not understand the functionality or power of the core components that made Active Directory Successful. I believe that this is evident by the lack of Nesting Support.

• Joost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this is a real must have for many larger companies. We need both of them. Flexible and dynamic teams where a projectleader manages the members can be done from the Office 365 Group. And we need more static teams (departments) to be managed centrally from AAD or Active Directory on-prem using security groups.

• Douglas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm working with a company with +3000 low tech users world wide. They've invested tons of hours on AD Security Groups using their HR system as a master data. Implementing Microsoft Teams is not an option as long as AADConnect/AAD lack this capability. Any timeframe when this is going to happen?

This is a nightmare. We only have 80 users, but I am ONE person over 3 locations and many groups with some turnover in the lower levels. The cost of AAD Premium is freaking outrageous for my company. Only have the users have O365 Prem because of cost.

• Matt Chapman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How does this get escalated to the top of the backlog? This is basic functionality that should be a requirement for the product to be considered viable. Group nesting should work by default even for synchroniced groups from on premise or Azure AD groups.

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Necessary !
        We have multiple teams and spend time adding users manually one by one.
        For example : a team to discuss a product launch involving marketing dpt and r&d dpt... we need to add 500 users one by one when there are AD Security Groups in AD

• Jiří Schimmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely basic function that is missing. On premises Identity management system controlling AD and then adds security group to O365 group.

• DO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Further proof that nobody who works at Microsoft today has any concept of real-world IT...

• Mike Dobaj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please, this is a requirement for provisioning new employees and deprovision leaving employee's automatically in a larger organization.
        I also agree with the previous two comments

• Tosh Jelezarov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would allow us to adopt MS Teams mirrored from AD security project based groups which we already create for access to local resources. It just makes sense not to have to keep manually local and O365 groups in sync. Please add this.

even a way to convert Security Groups via the same method as converting Distribution List works for me. I would even accept a PowerShell script to run and convert the existing Security Groups to Unified O365 groups.

Feedback and Knowledge Base