Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Selectivly invite attendees to Group calendar event

We need the ability to add events to a Group calendar where only selected people are invited and notified.

The current ability to create Group calendar appointments is a step forward but not good enough. As soon as someone is invited, it changes from an appointment to an event that then sends a notification to all group members – whether subscribed to the Group or not!

DESIRED FUNCTIONALITY
- Ability to deselect Group members from a Group calendar event
- Ability to add invitees to event where only invitees are notified – either group members or non-group individuals
- Maintain ability for all Group members to see event in Group calendar and add to their calendar if desired

DESIRED EXPERIANCE

- EVENT CREATION
-- Create new event in Group calendar
-- Choose not to notify/invite group members
-- Add specific individuals – either group members or non-group individuals

- EVENT INVITEES
-- Named invitees receive invite in their inbox

- GROUP MEMBERS NOT SPECIFICALLY INVITED
-- Do not receive a notification of the event in inbox
-- Can see event in Group calendar
-- Can edit event in Group calendar
-- Can add Group event to personal calendar

BONUS EXPERIANCE CHANGE
If the Group notification remains checked for the event, only send the invite to the Group members inbox if they subscribe to the Group i.e. treat calendar notifications the same as Group conversations

560 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Phil Maynard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Susanne Bergdolt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea is exactly what we need as well. We use the group calendars a lot. But the events that are scheduled in such calendars are not for the whole group but dedicated members only (often relating to certain channels in a corresponding team).
        I would even like to see the feature that the owner of the group can control a default setting for all events in this group calendar - turn off or on the notifications to all group members.

• Roy Sharp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There appear to be multiple requests for this but the problem still exists. Phil's description is excellent, come on Microsoft why is it still a problem?

• Jacob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! Our group has 6 individuals in it, but each event only applies to one or two of them. We still need for everyone, however, to see the event if they choose. I just don't want everyone to receive an email.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are trying to move our users from public folders and calendars to Groups. Having this ability would help us sell the idea to users who don't want to lose functionality when they make the change.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish the 700+ votes from the group appointment change topic could be applied to this topic, because I think we can all agree this is the wanted functionality.

Not just appointments, but meetings as well need to be able to be put on the group calendar without pushing a notification to everyone in the group.

Until the functionality exists as in this post I would recommend keeping your shared calendars in public folders so they behave in a way that makes sense to humans. I regret migrating my office to groups specifically for this.

• Matthew Doige commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can anyone at Microsoft confirm whether or not the solution in the original post is being addressed. I work at a large international school and this issue is wreaking havoc with our ability to implement a school-wide calendar. Given that Microsoft is marketing heavily to the education industry, I emplore you to take a look at this. Thanks.

• sagy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important to implement major issue. our staff would love to select few member to receive event info instead of send to all member of the group.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has made our job very difficult and has caused us to avoid using the Group Calendar. Please fix as soon as possible!

• Wigglewatts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like to see this functionality in the Outlook client - currently available as requested but only in Outlook online.

• Michael Goodman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would add to Phil's original post-
        When an event is created in group calendar; do not block off that time slot in group member's calendar along with not sending the invite email.

• JD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Utterly ridiculous that every member of the group gets invited to every single meeting. That's insane. Does MS even use this stuff internally?

• karen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has this been implemented yet? does anyone know how to add selected members only to a meeting instead of the WHOLE group?

• Joseph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely a deal breaker - please implement this fix so we can migrate over from Public Folders!

• Hans Christiansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea with a O365 Group calendar BUT the behavior of *always* inviting group members to the event and *not* being able to turn off the display of the group events in their own respective calendars within Outlook defeat the object - at least for us where we'd like to use this concept for keeping a semi public view available of when people are on vacation or off sick.

• Victor Hardy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need this soon - Please help!!! out team is unable to fully get on to Office 365 with this issue. PLEASE Make it happen

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a major issue preventing the deployment of groups in our organization.

Feedback and Knowledge Base