Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Don't add group calendar items to user's personal calendar

When an entry is added on a group calendar, it also shows up on each member's personal calendar. Most users do not want to see the group calendar invitation on their personal calendar: 1) because they are already a member of the group, b) not all group activities apply to the every member, and 3) for higher volume calendars, each member is burdened with a lot of time wasted in deleting these entries to clear out their own/personal calendar. SUGGESTION: Add a setting to the Group so that this behavior can be prevented. Selecting multiple calendars (even group calendars) should be a simple and consistent thing for Outlook (local) users to do without additional/unnecessary cleanup work.

18 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tony Grigonis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    try this instead  ·  AdminO365 Groups Feedback (Admin, Microsoft) responded  · 

As the person creating an event, simply create an Appointment (in Outlook 2016) or an event with no attendees in Outlook on the web with the “Send a meeting invitation to group members” unchecked.

Doing so will make sure the events stay only in the Group calendar, and is perfect for FYI items like out-of-office.

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Admin, That's such a work around way of doing things that should just be implemented correctly.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree that the default behavior should be to NOT email all the members with a notification/invite, and to NOT add appointments to their personal calendars. And while it's a bare minimum workaround to be able to uncheck the "Send a meeting invite to group members" box in the web version of Outlook, there does not appear to be an equivalent in the desktop client.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Strongly agree. While the duplicate event can be avoided by unchecking "Send a meeting invitation to group members", Outlook should be smart enough to avoid this. If a user is posting something to a group calendar, it should be implied that they do not want additional invitations going out to each person on that group (or at very least, that should be the default setting).

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, how can you ***** this up, like EVERYTHING you do SO BADLY!!!! The reason we have a group calendar is so that we can share it AS A STANDALONE CALENDAR, and more specifically, because your ****** SharePoint system won't allow Mac users to see SharePoint systems. So, as usual, you have messed this up too.

Let me ask you this: what is the point of having the option under group settings of clicking a box to "Send all group email and events to members inboxes..." IF YOU FORCE THAT TO HAPPEN ANYWAY!! And, the same checkbox says that "They can change this setting later." But they really can't ?? What the heck!! Someone needs to address this ASAP!!!

And, while you're at it, why don't you tell us how to use Office 365 to share a single, common calendar, with anyone I darn well please in my organization, INCLUDING MAC USERS, without mucking up every other possibly useful tool in the process!!!!

After three years of dealing with this kind of ****, from OneDrive Sync not working to SharePoint being an unmanageable beast to every other kind of wasted hour I've spent trying to work around your freaking experiments, I've about had it with you. And worst of all, you don't care and you won't address any of this.

• David Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be good for members of a group to be able to Opt-Out of group calendar events showing in their personal Calendars. Some Groups use events as an FYI for the members, but do not expect members to attend. I can see the events in the Group Calendar, but don't want it on my personal calendar.

Feedback and Knowledge Base