Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Office 365 Groups Expiration - Need Exclusion Feature

What’s really needed is an exclusion list, ex: Expire all groups EXCEPT for these 5 that I really really care about. All the others, let the owners decide if they want to keep them, but these 5, I keep important stuff in there, and I don’t want to sweat it about missing an email and potentially losing all that information.
Otherwise, due to the dynamic nature of groups, if I set a selected list of groups that I want to expire, I would have to keep coming back to this to keep it updated since any user can self create a group.

370 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a big miss. We really need to be able to exempt some groups from the policy.

• Rama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is REALLY needed. When 'ManagedGroupTypes' is set to 'All' there is no way to exclude certain groups. We could set this to 'Selected' but then we have to add all self-serve groups to this list. Since users can self-serve them from various services like SharePoint, Teams, Planner and so on, it is hard if not impossible to implement it.

Just like how naming convention can be overridden by global admins and few other people, it would be great if overriding expiration/life cycle policy is extended to groups created by those people as well.

Even better if while ManagedGroupTypes is All, we can exclude any given group at any point of time from expiration policy. Thank you.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is exactly what we are looking for: Exceptions to the global expiration policy.
    Scenario: IT sets up a finite number of Teams (e.g. for each department), but allows end users to create ad-hoc teams. All ad-hoc will expire according to the global expiration policy, but the departmental teams will not.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this still not a feature after 2 years! The current function is hardly usefull and can be added to the hit and miss list of Microsoft.

• Avi Ben-Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It makes no sense not to have only expiring groups, especially if when expired the group will lose historic records. there mast be an option to exclude specific groups from expirations.
    Anyway, when a group about to expire, ahead of time and with many warnings, the owners, and eventually, when there is no answer from the owners, even participants should be made aware of the impending action so people are aware of it and have the opportunity to take actions prior to expiry date.

• David Binisti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important to have the possibility to exclude some groups where we don't want to have an expiration policy on them.

• Mark Simone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is currently a big miss. It should really be based on a combination of the last activity of the underlying features (last chat activity, last sharepoint activity, last mailbox activity). Ideally, these should be options as well because something like a mailbox that may be receiving automated incoming email from the company should be optional as the last activity check.
    Additionally, it would be nice to see the ability to have more than just a tenant policy for expiration. Admins should be able to create multiple policies that possibly leverage the classification labels for example.

• Mark Simone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if we could leverage the classifcation labels into this feature as well, whereby we could add an expiration policy based on the labels. This way we could assign different polices to the different types of TEAMS.

• Tim Crean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think rather than a whitelist, it would be better to have an “exclude from expiration policy” flag which can be set at group creation. Maybe have it default to false, but if set to True then that group would never be part of expiration policy.

• Paul Salwey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot agree with this more - I'd rather specify the important groups to exclude than list 200 groups that I'd like to expire when they're no longer used.

Feedback and Knowledge Base