Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Group SharePoint site URLs

With the onboarding of Teams, there are some groups out there that have changed their Group Name. While as a Global Admin I know I can successfully change the display name and email address of said group via powershell, but there doesn't seem to be a way to change the SharePointSiteURL, SharePointDocumentsURL & SharePointNotebookURL of the group.

This means that the only way for a Group to have the URL of their choice is by recreating it with the new name, which wipes out all the content of their current group. We should have a way to change the SharePoint URLs for groups.

681 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mitchell Cooper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dragan Stojkovic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please enable this renaming option. Optionally can be: after renaming majority of group member approving.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its wonderful that creating a group provisions all these resources, but when you are forced to delete a group instead of being able to rename it, due to these associated resource links all being broken......

• Jason Harkless commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

seems to me that using GUIDs in URLs would fix everything. (FWIW, other successful DMS do it this way). I was excited to see that MS Teams uses GUIDs and I don't understand why SP does not do the same? No one should ever care what the actual URL is- having one that "reads as its name" in antiquated

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that we need this. Please add this to the roadmap because it is very useful with company takeovers, re-organizations, and other business situations that occur and are unavoidable.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think when creating a Team or group that instead og the team/group name in the URL there should a UID instead. Then the group/team name can change independently.

• Brian Kuhn (CIO) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, when using a democratic approach to group creation, you (we have) end up with groups with non-standard names (we've not implemented group governance yet - need P1 license). When renaming groups, it would be ideal for sure to have the URL match.

• RikH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely, although using a naming convention for Groups is useful in the Global Address List, the Group Name should not necessarily be set the same as the Group Site name.
        We should have the ability to rename the Site name and URL independently of the Office 365 Group name which appears in the Global Address List.

• AC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Mitchell,

Did you ever figure out how to change an Office 365 Team Site URL?

Thank you!

Feedback and Knowledge Base