Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Enable groups for existing SharePoint team sites

We need to be able to create a group for an already existing team site, OR when creating a group, be able to select an already existing team site as the group site.

392 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nicolle Brice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi how is security resolved? Will the O365 group overrule the existing SharePoint site security? Will the administrator need to maintain 2 sets of permissions O365 and SharePoint?

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that this needs to work at the sub-site level as well!

• Masood Tariq commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

Do we have the solution yet? Can we create new office 365 for existing SharePoint Online sites?

• Robert Freeman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should work at the sub-site level as well, not just site collection level. Plenty of groups function at the sub-site level.

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on ETA this year? otherwise we need to consider workarounds to manage the sites created with Groups.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I need is to be able to link to an existing site created. I also, need the ability to have the group created when the team site is created from scripting. We currently use the Site Mailbox on each site collection created. I need this same functionality which is scripted to be available so we can save it in a site template for a WSP file.

• Jorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

working on it is great news and a fantastic update. Looking forward to it.

• Frank Bastone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I think this is a natural progression of using groups functionality across existing sites, especially for leveraging the use of shared calendars, email, conversations and planner. With the introduction of these capabilities, I can see a shift in assuming these new ways of working vs creating redundant functionality within SharePoint (eg SharePoint calendar list, task list, etc). Thanks

• Gergana Bozhilova commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also confirm the need of this, as we have rolled out team sites to the entire business community - now we have more than 1400 existing and working team sites. What would also help a lot is the possibility to link several O365 groups to one already existing Sharepoint Site. This along with the possibility to reuse the permissions model already in place in the Sharepoint sites will help us upgrade the existing collaboration SharePoint sites with the new capability of O365 group.

• Jeremy Caney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not quite the same, but I made a similar suggestion for the ability to reference existing SharePoint team sites when creating a new Office 365 group. This would likely meet the same requirement, although being able to approach this from either SharePoint OR Office 365 Groups would certainly be preferable.

https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/286611-office-365-groups/suggestions/17340160-associate-office-365-groups-to-existing-sharepoint

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is my biggest problem with groups. I already have a SharePoint site that people have been using. When I create the group I would like them to just use that existing site instead of creating a new site collection that creates a management headache

Feedback and Knowledge Base