How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Microsoft teams and OneNote Notebook integration

Even though on https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Frequently-asked-questions-about-Microsoft-Teams-%E2%80%93-Admin-Help-05cbe533-2181-4e95-a4b0-52cd7695fafc it states you can keep using your existing OneNote when you add Teams functionality to an existing Office 365 Group this is a bit misleading.

It in essence creates a new section per team channel in the notebook but all the content you previously created in the Notebook in the Office 365 Group is not visible in the 'Notes' tab in Microsoft Teams and as such is not usabel/accessible from the Teams client.

Very annoying and not quite sure why this was an accepted design choice by MS.

168 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard Nelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Opening the Files in SharePoint, then creating a new notebook works perfectly, and the file appears in Teams/Files - however, it's not possible to open the Notebook from within Teams - it gives a file access error.
        It should be possible to select New NoteBook in the same way it's possible to select new excel, new word etc.
        As the OP said the integration between OneNote and Teams needs to be improved.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 If I navigate from my Team to the SharePoint tab, and then choose to "Open in SharePoint" I can see the full notebooks, but this is clunky. I don't want my team to have to open sharepoint to see our notebook. This seems an odd choice, and one I hope can be changed soon if Teams is to take off.

• Ian Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to add to my previous comments, following point 1 of my suggestion would also remove the need to prefix sections with the channel name.

• Ian Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've had limited success by creating a new page in Teams, then deleting it in OneNote and renaming the original section to that given to the new page. It's pretty ugly though.

Another issue I have is that Teams appears to pick an existing notebook under a folder with the same name as the channel. But thereafter it uses the same notebook even for OneNote tabs created in different channels. If anyone moves or renames the notebook in OneDrive all your Note tabs in Teams will break. In Teams you have no visibility over where notebooks are created. Therefore I would suggest the following:

1. By default create a folder for each channel in OneDrive
        2. Create a new notebook for each channel under the folder
        3. Allow users to override by explicitly selecting notebooks for the tab
        4. Reference notebooks by document ID so the links don't break if renamed/moved (but show current path to users)

Feedback and Knowledge Base