How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Allow users to create folders within 365 Group Conversations / mailboxes

To really replace Shared Mailboxes our users need to be able to quickly categorize incoming emails and show that actions have been completed by dragging and dropping emails to a named folder in outlook.

For example accounts payable shared mailbox allows any member of the accounts team to drag an invoice email to another folder to show that it has been entered for processing

735 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stephen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

48 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Yo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Admin says "working on it" but it does not show up in the Office 365 Roadmap. What is the Feature ID?

For example, the Office 365 Roadmap shows that mail can be marked as read/unread (Feature ID: 27317).

• Teri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please, we are lost without a way to organize the group conversations. let us make sub file/folders for conversations

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please advise, as in give an answer not just ignore it, when this very basic (but very much needed) function, of creating sub-folders and dragging one or muiltiple emails into the gorup folders, can be implemented.

• Emanuel Malacarne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are currently rolling out O365 and wanted to establish it as a substitute for shared mailboxes to streamline our offer of services.
        Having Sub-Folders is one of the requirements of the business, since a lot of teams are organised that way.

• Tomas Paulas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

another half a year passed and nothing much going on. I think it is because Microsoft believes that email is dead. It may be so in very far future but not now. As I see it, an effort was put into turning standard exchange mailbox (where group mailbox is hosted) as we know it to something non-standard used for conversations. Now we actually try to tell MS that their investment was not worth of it and we want it back :) I see nothing back in creating standard exchange mailbox together with group to allow people to work as their used to. Why it takes 2 years is a mystery to me.

This is an essential feature for Group mailboxes to have any real value for a team trying to manage large quantities of emails

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe Ryan is exactly right. Most everyone I have talked to want sub-folders on O365 groups so a group, team, or department has access to all incoming mail. The sub-folders aid in categorizing this content.

Like everyone else on this thread, this is a must have feature. I'd like to see an ETA for this item.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see the comment by O365 Groups & Feedback, but I fear the the link leads to a feature that is not directly related to the thread here (though the feature still has its merits).

I think everyone here is asking for a categorization method exactly like shared inboxes have (folders and sub-folders) so that they can make groups out of common mailboxes like payables@contoso.com or billing@contoso.com. I can see the value that can be added here - you can have group mailbox that allows external senders for payables@contoso.com, and then all audience members of the inbox also have access to a SharePoint site and Teams group where Wikis, how-to's, and a shared document library can be accessed. Could even add-on apps into Teams to help multiple audience members manage the inbox, maybe something like Zendesk.

Looking forward to some progress on this feature.

• Rob Leonard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great feature for us to have and would allow us to move forward with a number of projects that are relying on this feature.

• Nicolas Stirnemann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this critical feature to enable groups as a adequate alternative for shared mailboxes for collaboration. Actualy there is no possibility to get an overview wether an incoming mail was processed or not. Are there any updates planned?

• Michael J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WE MUST HAVE THIS FEATURE... Group inboxes are worthless without the ability to organize emails in folders (using rules). Super basic concept, must be implemented immediately.

• KC Hemdanie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please update your response. We are looking at creating subfolders within a Group's mailbox/Inbox. we cannot migrate shared mailboxes into Groups until you add this feature to a group mailbox. Our users manage hundreds of projects at the same time and Groups is not an option until they can file project specific mail to corresponding subfolders. Thanks

Conversations are happening in Teams. The Group's "mailbox" is dead until you let users treat it like a Shared mailbox. IMO

• L-E commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@O365 Groups Feedback (Admin, Microsoft):

The ability to create (sub)folders within a group cannot be found in the Office 365 Roadmap: https://products.office.com/en-us/business/office-365-roadmap?filters=

So, regarding your status update to "WORKING ON IT" ... is it correct that you are working on enabling creation of folders within a group, to be able to categorize incoming emails?

If yes, when are you planning on supporting it in 1) web and 2) Outlook 2016 for Windows?

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please update on timeline for email moving into groups release for Outlook 2016 Mac

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base