How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Allow users to create folders within 365 Group Conversations / mailboxes

To really replace Shared Mailboxes our users need to be able to quickly categorize incoming emails and show that actions have been completed by dragging and dropping emails to a named folder in outlook.

For example accounts payable shared mailbox allows any member of the accounts team to drag an invoice email to another folder to show that it has been entered for processing

526 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stephen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • KC Hemdanie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please update your response. We are looking at creating subfolders within a Group's mailbox/Inbox. we cannot migrate shared mailboxes into Groups until you add this feature to a group mailbox. Our users manage hundreds of projects at the same time and Groups is not an option until they can file project specific mail to corresponding subfolders. Thanks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Conversations are happening in Teams. The Group's "mailbox" is dead until you let users treat it like a Shared mailbox. IMO

• L-E commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@O365 Groups Feedback (Admin, Microsoft):

The ability to create (sub)folders within a group cannot be found in the Office 365 Roadmap: https://products.office.com/en-us/business/office-365-roadmap?filters=

So, regarding your status update to "WORKING ON IT" ... is it correct that you are working on enabling creation of folders within a group, to be able to categorize incoming emails?

If yes, when are you planning on supporting it in 1) web and 2) Outlook 2016 for Windows?

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please update on timeline for email moving into groups release for Outlook 2016 Mac

Glad to see you´ve set the status "Working on it" for this must-have feature! But the comment is related to drag & drop, not organising conversations in folders?

• Ivo E commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed with the previous 2 comments. The request was about being able to organize conversations within an O365 group, not to move conversations to other O365 groups.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ethan - thats not what the request is about. Work teams need to be able to organize the incoming email stream. Since there is no way currently to assign a follow up to an incoming email/conversation we are requesting a way to create folders within the group.

The drag & drop response isn't really useful until sub folders within group inboxes can be created is it? Or is that also going to happen along with dragging & dropping items from an inbox into a group inbox?

• Marcus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Office365

Admin, why don't you open this feature to us?
        I think this is something that is used in the new release of drag and drops emails in the web interface?

I did a call for the Group in the Outlook API and got this response back!

Shouldn't be a problem to return the groups' Mailbox? I can find the mailbox when using the web interface.

"code": "RESTAPINotEnabledForGroup",
        "message": "REST API is not yet supported for this mailbox."

Please respond to our question

Hello @O365 Groups Feedback (Admin, Microsoft) ... this is the only top rated item in the customer feedback list that has no comment from you? What do you say?

Agree, this is absolutely essential to be able to replace other alternatives. Please enable this a s a p!

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The requirement to file emails in a group is essential, for O365 not to have this functionality leaves it well behind the curve. This is the most frustrating and lacking feature of 365 not to be able to have multiple share email folders for projects. Apple makes this option so easy in comparison.

• Andrew Zack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shared mailboxes that help with the sales, marketing, or project-management efforts need folders to help sort and organize those efforts. It is far easier and more visual to be able to drag and drop from one folder to another. Moving from Public Folders to Groups is inappropriate as people think of Groups as "groups of people" and not "groups of emails." So People go into Groups like "Customer" but emails from those customers go into folders like "Study CR-1" and "Study CR-2." It is very easy to imagine a user needing both Categories or Groups and Public Folders or all three. They are different ways to sort, visualize and manage emails.

• Manny Landsman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must. Currently, I have to have a Shared Mailbox for folder use in Outlook and a separate Group to allow sharepoint/team functionality and have to manage two entities that should really be one!

Office 365 Groups is completely useless for my users without Folders. We'll continue to use competitor offerings that actually suit user’s needs. The problem is that my users will not want to move away to Office 365 Groups once they get used to the competitor offerings. I can't believe the use of Folders is even a discussion. I hope this isn't another "Windows Phone" death; too little, too late.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base