How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Allow users to create folders within 365 Group Conversations / mailboxes

To really replace Shared Mailboxes our users need to be able to quickly categorize incoming emails and show that actions have been completed by dragging and dropping emails to a named folder in outlook.

For example accounts payable shared mailbox allows any member of the accounts team to drag an invoice email to another folder to show that it has been entered for processing

328 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stephen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew Zack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shared mailboxes that help with the sales, marketing, or project-management efforts need folders to help sort and organize those efforts. It is far easier and more visual to be able to drag and drop from one folder to another. Moving from Public Folders to Groups is inappropriate as people think of Groups as "groups of people" and not "groups of emails." So People go into Groups like "Customer" but emails from those customers go into folders like "Study CR-1" and "Study CR-2." It is very easy to imagine a user needing both Categories or Groups and Public Folders or all three. They are different ways to sort, visualize and manage emails.

• Manny Landsman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must. Currently, I have to have a Shared Mailbox for folder use in Outlook and a separate Group to allow sharepoint/team functionality and have to manage two entities that should really be one!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Office 365 Groups is completely useless for my users without Folders. We'll continue to use competitor offerings that actually suit user’s needs. The problem is that my users will not want to move away to Office 365 Groups once they get used to the competitor offerings. I can't believe the use of Folders is even a discussion. I hope this isn't another "Windows Phone" death; too little, too late.

Yes, this is very much needed. I can not replace shared mailboxes as log and we can't move messages, create folders and work with attributes like read/unread and categories :-(

• Mike Tilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I spoke with an Office 365 Group PM in the Expo Hall at Microsoft Ignite to explain my desire to see a folder structure in Office 365 group mailboxes. He told me the underlying infrastructure was already there but not enabled and no current plans to enable. He advised posting here on user voice and explain the business need.

In one of my sessions at Ignite it was advised to use Office 365 groups over shared mailboxes. I think that is a great idea but our organization will not see Office 365 Group mailboxes as fully functional without the folder structure. Some of our shared mailboxes were previously Public Folders so there are some large folder structures in these mailboxes. When working out of a shared/group mailbox it is important to have that structure to file away email once the appropriate action has been taken.

The SharePoint site started out in Office 365 groups with minimal functionality but grew to a fully functional site. I would like to see the same for the mailbox.

yes please, add this function. In order to handle E-Mails projectwise, a common Folder structure will be essential.

• RS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Again, this is an essential function that should have been implemented before shoving 365 groups down our throats, rather than having to patch in and pay for 3rd party add ins. Please implement ASAP.

• Jocelyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without folders, it's too cumbersome for a group to use Groups to organize information.

We were considering using groups to replace a number of our shared mailboxes, but this limitation could prove to be a deal breaker for us. Almost all of our shared mailboxes use folders to some extent, and not having an organization system available will make it more difficult for our users to adopt. I realize we could split this up into more groups, however; we already get many complaints that we have too many Office 365 objects such as mailboxes, distribution groups, etc

• Test commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do so. It is not advisable to create a new group just to sort out Emails

Feedback and Knowledge Base