Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Convert distribution groups to mail-enabled security groups

I have a need to convert a number of distribution groups to mail-enabled security groups. Right now I have to record DG members, delete the DG, create the SG and populate the SG.

334 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Phil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have the same need as many others as well, to convert distribution groups to mail enabled security groups, so that it is possible to use them for calendar and SharePoint Online permissions. Thanks

• Faizan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do we have option in Office365 to convert distribution groups into mail-enabled security groups? if not please make it available as soon as possible

• LCBSupport commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the possibility to convert a distribution group to a mail-enabled security group in Exchange online. the feature exists to convert to Office 365 groups already.

• Mark A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I would like this added as well. Converting an Exchange DG to an SG could easily be done with on-prem AD/Exchange, but why I can't do it with Exchange 365?
    I've had more than one occasion when this has been necessary.

• Ronnie Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this function as well as we had a large number of distribution group to convert bcos of sharepoint access rights.

• Brad F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this. It was easy in AD with on-prem Exchange. Departments want to use their DGs to control access to their SharePoint sites and other Office 365 applications now that they have them.

• Paul Perpich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this would be great. It is so easy in AD I was surprised to find it was not possible for the cloud-owned groups.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also would like to see this functionally implemented into Exchange Online ASAP.

• Andrew Dean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this functionality! It caused me a huge headache to have to recreate hundreds of groups.

Hello, this is DG-to-SG conversion in Office 365 environment. And this is not involving Office 365 Groups.

Thank you.

This would be nice. We have several third party products that we use AD security groups with in order to manage access. This would allow a Team to control access to an application.

Feedback and Knowledge Base