Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Calendar permissions

Please make it possible to set Calendar permissions to read only so that it's possible to have a group calendar that can only be edited by selected members of the group.

519 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    snoozemode shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Regan Li commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am surprised to see there are only 28 comments about this issue here.

Is there another place we can raise our voice about this?

I just spend half of the day to search about this issue, and couldn't find anything from Google that setting up permission is not an option in Group calendars, and then I called the Microsoft support and found out about this article, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/office-365-group-calendars-permissions/d1aca62d-af1a-4eff-b500-afc0b0499059?auth=1
        and it let me here. And there's no official KB about this!

how do you expect us to get away from the public calendar if Group calendar cannot even set up permission?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to share only the free/busy and subject line to people, but that isn't an option

• Roger M Cotrofeld Jr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We specifically need this function for departmental groups within our tenant. Each department wants a group calendar to manage a time off calendar, but they only want owners of the group to be able to add items as a method of scheduling only approved absences. They have been doing this through personal shared calendars previously, but since the O365 implementation when the account owner leaves the calendar goes away with their license removal.

• JLuce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here is what we need. Member A puts in a OOF - PTO day, only Member A can change or delete said PTO day. Right now anyone can go in and delete someone's PTO day. The Appointment should be readable by anyone but not editable unless its an owner. Owners should be able to cleanup calendar events.

Schools very much need this feature. Admin should be able to enter in dates without staff being able to delete/edit.

• Joe K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement this! It would be much easier to be able to give groups read access, instead of assigning to each user one by one.

• Tim Farmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not placing Group Calendar permissions into the hands of the end-user will defeat the purpose of having the function in the first place. If custom powershell scripts are required then the user is relying on someone else to manage the access. Simply create a setting where only Group Owners can choose to "Allow members to add events (yes or no)" on the Group Calendar, and you will make a lot of users very happy.

Can you provide an update on this function. Last comment 09/19/17 was "We have this in our plans for Outlook desktop as well and will be working on it." Is it now available? If not, when?

If I could get everyone in our organization to actually come to this page and vote, you would see that our userbase (65K+) would overwhelmingly agree to the importance of this functionality. Facility Communication Managers need a method for posting event calendars easily without worry that viewers will be able to make changes. It is very difficult to understand why this is not an obvious function. Hopefully I can get our users to come vote.

• Shane Power commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make the Group Calendar viewable (for Group Members) in Outlook for Mac and iOS with configurable “read/view only” and admin privileges!

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly agree with @Roballo's comment. The workaround we've developed is to add additional users to the Groups to give them view ability to the Group calendar - which has resulted in an exponential increase in the amount of emails flying around the office.

• Roballo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I consider it extremely important to share the group calendar in office 365 for users who are not members of the group (whether inside or outside the organization). For example: think of 3 major teams: team CGO (Chief Governance Officer) team CEO (Chief Executive Officer) and team CAO (Chief Accounting Officer). Each of these teams has an office 365 group. CAO team members are not in the office 365 group of CEO and CGO teams and so on. In this scenario, how does the Chief Executive Officer visualize the commitments of the CGO team and the CAO team?

• Leniak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And more, it would be great to allow admin to set permission as they want/request for all calendars and shared calendar, inside or outside the organisation.

• WhiteJediGuy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alrighty.. It appears that this should be the appropriate method, but no luck..

Set-UnifiedGroup <O365 Group E-mail> -CalendarMemberReadOnly

But the following populates:
        WARNING: The command completed successfully but no settings of '<O365 Group E-mail>' have been modified.

Any thoughts?

Maybe I am connecting to the incorrect URI?
        I am connecting a PSSession via the following:

$UserCredential = Get-Credential
        $Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/ -Credential $UserCredential -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection
        Import-PSSession $Session #import session + modules related

Edit:
        So, apparently it is working but still provides the "Warning" message

• WhiteJediGuy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am able to find the AccessRights for a group mailbox by using:
        Get-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity "<O365 Group E-mail>:\calendar" -GroupMailbox

Is there a way of changing the access rights?

This does not work, unfortunately:
        Get-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity "<O365 Group E-mail>:\calendar" -GroupMailbox | Set-MailboxFolderPermission -User "Member@local" -AccessRights ReadItems

This feature should have been part of the base framework from the very beginning. That it wasn't is negligence.

All the rights that people enjoy for calendars on their accounts on in shared or resource accounts should also be extended to group calendars in Office 365. I regard this as an oversight to deliver less functionality. Further, I think the permissions model should be available at the group level but also granularly for each resource attached to the group.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base