Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Microsoft Planner create multiple plans per group

To have an Office 365 group for our team is a great idea. However, the team I'm on has multiple projects ongoing, and having to create a new group for each plan and then to assign permissions for each plan and manage documents, conversations, etc all in separate plans is an excess.
Better to be able to label documents, conversations, emails with each plan and to allow multiple plans than to have to manage all the plans separately and create groups that will be needless after the project is complete.

406 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Justin Hughes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Fabrice Romelard [MVP] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Required to have task management for many projects we are following

One group can have many projects to manage in the same time and the buckets isolation are too simple for that

• Spencer Stewart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately most users in our organization do not have licensing for Teams, and lacking the ability to have multiple Plans per group we have decided to postpone any significant adoption of Planner. We do not want users creating Plans and inadvertently creating Groups across our large tenant, leading to naming issues and other sorts of management challenges. Thanks for advocating this feature and I look forward to its eventual implementation.

• Chaz Weber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for the Teams Workaround though if your org isn't using Teams, this is a bit of a pain.

• Kevin Stone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was able to do this using MS Teams. You can add a new tab in a Teams channel for Planner. This appears to create a new plan associated with the same group. Please correct me if I am wrong

• Jay Sperl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A work colleague appears to have done what has been requested here: created a plan within a plan--or two plans for one group--by mistake. He asked me, as the keeper (owner) of plans, to help him delete the erroneous plan. The Delete Plan option showed up as expected under Plan Settings, but something made me uncomfortable in deleting the plan before I checked that nothing was created in SharePoint, etc. When I checked, I found all the data from the original (top) plan. So...do we have new functionality not yet announced? And how do I delete the subplan created by mistake without deleting the data associated with the top plan?

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would assume this would mean that when creating the additional projects under one group you can then setup separate permissions for each project level not at the group level.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a main Big Plan and I need to create different subplans (each one with different tasts) to have everything well organized, to find it easily and avoid a chaos.
        Any suggestion?

• Amy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really hoping this the upcoming changes include:

- when you create a Plan for a Channel it will become part of the Team Plan instead of being a separate plan (like a sub plan)
        - the channel plans will now be visible in planner hub
        - you will no longer have to go to planner an open the plan for a new team before you can add the plan as a tab (annoying bug)

• Ulrika Hedlund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree, having a new group added to Outlook every time a new plan is created doesn't make sense for users, it makes it very confusing. Planner is great so we want to make it more flexible to use. :-) Thank you!

Feedback and Knowledge Base