Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Remove the ability for users to unsubscribe from a group.

Currently there is no option to prevent users from unsubscribing to an O365 group. This can cause undesired behavior for communications to specfic groups or manditory groups such as ALL@company.com.

401 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Connor Mullaney shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Pockettes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absurd. Why would we want to provide an option for employees to remove themselves from the main communication tool? This auto remove from group feature needs to be removed

• Wigglewatts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the admin response a year and 8 months ago it's safe to say this isn't getting any attention. I am guessing once there's an admin response like this no more notifications go to any MS reps.Essentially, putting it in an inactive state - again, my guess given the amount of time with no admin response. Please go vote for one that's active:
        https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/286611-office-365-groups/suggestions/18379387-prevent-users-from-leaving-group-as-an-option-for

• DL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft Admin seems to have missunderstood the request here, and the Admin response is incorrect. Please review further. Many Thanks!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Microsoft Admin response is completely inappropriate for the original request.
        Have voted and agreed that Office365 Groups have stepped backwards in our priority list since being unable to stop users from unsubscribing.

• Adam Babcock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a school district, we have numerous safety and security-related emails that we do not want to be funneled into another inbox if users unsubscribe. Microsoft needs to understand that users make easy mistakes with the current email instructions at the bottom. Admins or senders need to be able to control whether their messages end up in the Focused inbox consistently!

Using sharepoint and Onedrive (o365 groups) and migrating from DLs would be great, if this was FIXED.
        Please fix - it's holding us back from buying into MS cloud technologies and you are losing money.

• JW Walton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is holding up conversion of old Distribution Lists to Office 365 groups. There are some DLs which need to have a fixed set of members that CANNOT opt out of receiving communications because they facilitate HR or group level required communications.
        @O365GroupsFeedback if you want everyone to stop using DLs in favor of Office 365 Groups this will need to be an option. If however, there is no plan to incorporate this ability in Office 365 Groups can you please let the community know so we can plan our DL vs Office 365 Group strategy.

@Admin - How do we PREVENT users from unsubscribing from a group? They are useless without that functionality

• Sean McHugh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@admin : did you read the request.

This is an important feature with duplicate votes all over the uservoice system. Please close the others, add the votes to this one and start working on this.

@O365GroupsFeedback you're response is the exact opposite of what is being asked here.

• James D. Schwarzmeier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As others have commented, the response in no way addresses this feedback. Being able to prevent unsubscription is necessary for groups to replace distribution lists.

• DML commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The admin response to this suggestion is ASTOUNDINGLY wrong. Please re-read the post.

• Matt Grimley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anyone got any updates on this? I'm concerned MS will just ignore it because the "admin" has flagged it with an irrelevant "Try this instead". This is surely in the works if not available already?

Launching with kids at the moment and they just unsubscribe from classes and deny receiving emails. What are our staff supposed to do? They aren't Office365 experts. They just need to know that when a kid logs in, their mails are in their inboxes.

The admin of this group needs to address this moronic response. It looks like an answer, yet it clearly is irrelevant to the topic.

The unsubscribe footer is a flipping nightmare of the most collosal order. I even unsubscribe from my core groups in error now and again when trying to unsubscribe from bulk email and message lists.

MS Should not be adding anything inline in an email with instruction / consent of the admins. Our users don't understand that MS are injecting things into their group emails. It's just totally unwanted. Most of us aren't running "opt in" clubs. We are running businesses or colleges or schools. When you are in a group / class / faculty.. You don't get to just wander out at your pleasure. Why can you do that in the email equivalent?

We cannot 'upgrade' distribution lists to groups, if people can just unsubscribe from them without our knowledge.

I am staggered that Microsoft has promoted this with such a flaw.

• Patrick Abel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe an update is needed in the "TRY THIS INSTEAD" response from the Admin. The feature request is not about how to leave or unsubscribe from a O365 Group, but rather the ability to configure groups such that users are prevented from unsubscribing.

This would be valuable when a O365 group is being used for company-wide "all-hands" type distribution.

Still no updates on this? 365 Groups are 100% unusable without proper admin controls yet receiving a huge push from Microsoft.

• Mike Shaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow....I am with everyone else, the unsubscribe should be remotely manageable, this was a huge mistake and is a continuing nuisance bug for us.

M

Please fix this, it's causing so much grief. People are clicking the "unsubscribe" option when bulk email or spam gets sent via a group expecting to unsubscribe from the bulk mail.

This is so nonsensical. I seriously can't understand anyone ever asking for this functionality.

Unsubscribe at the bottom of an email should unsubscribe you from the sender's mail lists. NOT from a corporate group you are in!

Please god, give us the ability to change this. I notice some of my groups include the footer and some don't but no obvious difference between the groups in powershell.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base