Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Improve the renaming functionality of Office 365 groups.

When you rename an Office 365 group, only the display name changes. It is not possible to edit the email address or the name of the OneDrive associated to the group. This is confusing, especially for OneDrive.

It should be possible to change all names associated with the group when renaming.

917 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ivo E shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Steven Palmo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for working on this. Absolutey crucial as Office 365 groups will definitely get renamed especially when/if groups are based on departments, divisions, teams and those always change. When some parts of the 365 does not reflect the 365 group name change, it just acts half-baked

• J Yates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When creating a dynamic office 365 group from Azure AD the Sharepoint Team Site URL will not use the name of the group, but instead the GUID which is undesirable. We either need a method to change and add a redirect or address in the Azure AD group creation script.

• J Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

be great if we can change SharePointSiteUrl address when our business want to change the group's name details.
        Can seem to change the primary smtp address via powershell - but for the site's url - no go.. can this be looked into? This would be a practical solution to a business problem that can happen, outside of IT's control.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's critical that you can rename Teams, and their underlying components such as group and URL reflects the change.

+1

• Frederick Lin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This gets alot more complicated if there is a naming policy which by Microsoft's implementation is based user attributes associated with the *person that is creating the Office 365 Group*. When an administrator modifies the group, those attributes could be different, especially for Groups that have a naming policy configured that reflect on attributes such as the user's business unit, location, or department. To address this, we implemented our own naming policy but it isn't perfect; the naming is done after the fact and not immediately after a change. Would be nice to have a webhook into this sort of event to link this into an Azure web job for example.

Then there are things that cannot be renamed at all such as the site collection URL.

• Rob Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My client really needs this ASAP. They work in the pharma field when product names often change and not being able to rename the email they used to communicate with their client is a right pain. They have no option except to create a new group.

Can you please confirm if this is an issue for Groups that are converted from dist. Groups ? Since directly created Office 365 Groups we can change the email address ...

• R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Based upon the O365 Groups Feedback post, does this mean the ONLY addition will be email edition or will the sharepoint URL site and onedrive URL also be updated?

• Julie Lothrop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Admin, thank you for the update. When the email address changes, will the URL for the associated OneDrive/SP collaboration also change?

• Dave Kay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please, i need to change the email address of a 365 group but can't do this through the admin interface. i would also like to have secondary email addresses that i can define too

For organisations that frequently restructure or for newly formed teams that need to tweak their name it's important that name changes to be more seemless. For meging teams it would be good to have a way to merge/migrate all the shared documents into one group.

Another place which does not update when a group name is changed, is the desktop folder created when files are sync'd to your computer. I have changed the name of a group, but the folder of sync'ed files from this group, on my computer, remained the old name. If I login and select to Sync with my computer manually, the pop-up which asks which folders refers to the group by its old name, and not the new one.

• Jose Pires commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The renaming functionality for Groups needs to adjust some other places connected to the Group. I just learned that when we change the Group name:
        1) It does not change the page title of Planner group
        2) It does not adjust the name of shared OneNote file inside the SharePoint SiteAssets library.

There is no alternative for situation #1. Your Planner page displays the correct group name inside it, but the page title will remain incorrect without alternative to fix it.

For #2, you can manually fix the shared OneNote filename. It will work inside SharePoint. But then Planner, Outlook and Groups applications will have broken connections still pointing to the old OneNote filename.

In summary, renaming a Group today may lead to more troubles than creating a new one, especially for those groups recently created.

• Martin Brandt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would certainly appreciate a "one action feature" that will be able to rename Office 365 standard groups, professional learning communities and teams. We are using the naming policy but we want our users to be able to create group/PLC/Team name suffixes themselves and they will as well make mistakes doing so as have reasons to change te goal the group/PLC/team is used for.
        To put it in a different perspective: We want to facilitate teams of users with groups/PLC's/Teams for sustainable collaboration at least as much as we want to faciltate them with groups/PLC's/Teams for short-term project collaboration.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base