Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

admin role for O365 groups

Currently there is not role that you can assign to a user that has the ability to managed, create and delete O365 Groups. You can give the users another role but this means giving extra permissions to other aspects of office 365. There is one for distribution groups, surely O365 groups can have one?

121 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Matt Thompson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is especially important when looking at supporting an environment with hundreds of teams. Please prioritize this!

• J Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there any updates on this? Can anyone from Microsoft comment if this is being considered?

• Brendan Price commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is kind of an annoyance. Sometimes users create a group, add some users, and then log a ticket asking for certain people to be added or removed.

Since the SystemAdmin@ account for the client, and the partner account for myself, doesn't have an "Exchange Online" license on that actual client, I don't have the right to do this for the user.

So you end up having to show the end user how to do it. Letting an admin role have the rights to add or remove users from Office 365 Groups is a no-brainer.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this really needs it's own role. We have tried to delegate permissions for Groups to a dedicated Applications team but are unable to do so as we do not want them to be Global admins within our tenant.

• Rick Olson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I couldn't agree with this more. It's irresponsible that on the one hand Microsoft promotes "Just Enough Administration" and then requires you to be a Global Admin to manage something as simple as these "Office 365 Groups".

I just got off a support call about this, inquiring about a way to create a new role for this and was told that it is not possible.

• John A. Simpson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need to have a way to admin the O365 groups and also the sites since there will now be almost an uncontrollable number of groups and sites that are created since they are not even visible within the SharePoint admin center. Being a Global admin is not manageable for a domain with hundreds of site collections, Thousands of sites and groups, With the introduction of Planner and Teams and the migration of site mailboxes to Groups, we need some way to admin all of these.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The administration part is quite important for all applications rolling out. It is really bad, that only O365 admins are able to administrate e.g who are owners of a group, when all owners have left the company.
        Another good thing could be, that there always should be a Primary/ and Secondary owner. That would minimize the jobs for all admins :-)

• Ipioneer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

#Important:
        Microsoft to roles allow scope managers to create/manage 0365 groups from exchange online.

Feedback and Knowledge Base