How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Unsubscribe button that actually unsubscribes

Currently unsubscribing from a group does not actually stop emails from being sent to your personal inbox.

The behaviour should be: If a user unsubscribes from a group, they are unsubscribed. Yes, it seems obvious, however Microsoft acknowledged the intended behaviour for unsubscribing is to still send emails to the unsubscribed user's inbox.

For more context see the forum thread.

291 votes
Sign in
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  AdminO365 Groups Feedback (Admin, Microsoft) responded  · 

In the next few weeks we will make an update to allow users to better manage email messages from the groups they are a part of. This would include the ability to receive all of a group’s messages and events in the inbox, as well as the ability to stop receiving all email messages from a group. This way, users would have better control over how group emails affect their personal inbox.

Sign in
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It looks like if you are the sender, even though you have unsubscribed to the group emails, you get all of the responses in your inbox anyway. It's August 2017 and this is still not working. Can someone please provide an update? I think this "feature" defeats the purpose of unsubscribing and confuses the users.

• Dan Campbell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Below, some users have reported in May 2017 that this is "resolved." That may be in the case of Calendar notification, but it is NOT the case for Conversation Replies. If someone replies to a conversation you initiated, you will get an email back, even if you are unsubscribed. This is particularly annoying if you are using the Groups App on your phone because you then get two notifications. Disabling notifications on the app is not a solution because then you don't get notified on new messages (i.e. those that are not replies to you). This seems like an easy problem to solve - just give me a ps flag to set - DisableReplyEmailWhenNotSubscribed. Meanwhile, I can't get users to use group conversations when they get double-notified.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please also provide this functionality for external users as well. The only way to accomplish this now is via PS

• Robert Buljevic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, it seems to be solved finally... hopefully won't be reintroduced as a bug (it did happen back in Feb 2017).

Also, I noticed they've finally implemented the Powershell parameter AlwaysSubscribeMembersToCalendarEvents (which would previously throw an error):

Microsoft, you might flag this as Resolved.

• Ahmad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i don't know if anyone has noticed but this problem is solved. this morning created a new group and added couple of users into it. none of the users were subscribed and created a test event on the calendar of the group and all users received the notifications so asked them to unsubscribe then we created the test 2, no one received any notifications.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey MS, what's up with you guys? We are waiting almost a year now! This is really annoying

• Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please sort this, its terribly frustrating and weve had to abandon our group calendar until this is fixed

• KyleM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolute stupidity. What sort of development team thought that this logic was correct. I have just had management down my back because of this..

• Steve Rasmussen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

C'mon MS!! Unless my calendar is off it's been a bit more than a "few weeks"!! Without the ability to "un-subscribe" this makes Office Groups pretty much useless for us!!

• Robert Buljevic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After using an O365 Group calendar for vacations and other similar events where not everybody should be invited by default („Subscribe new members“ set to Off), in the week of 13th Feb 2017 this behavior suddenly changed: everybody started to receive Group calendar invitations, precisely as if they where SUBSCRIBED to the group.
        Even after the users click on the "UNSUBSCIBE" link in the meeting invitations, that does not change the behavior: users simply still get ALL event invitations regardless they are invited or not and regardless the Group settings.
        Therefore, as the title says: no way to actually unsubscribe members either from Admin GUI, Powershell or user self provisioning, at least for calendar events.

IMPORTANT: this actually used to work correctly until February 2017 when Microsoft suddenly broke it. Even after raising a Service request, the feedback was that this is just how the product works. Amazing.

A side note:
        Interestingly, It appears O365 Groups Powershell offers a parameter called „AlwaysSubscribeMembersToCalendarEvents“ which is documented in the link above and it looks like it could solve the issue.
        This parameter is set to "true" on each group.
        Unfortunately, although the documentation states it can be changed to „false“, Powershell does not allow this and returns an error (InvalidArgument: NamedParameterNotFound).

Please fix this behavior ASAP!

• MIEExpert from Belgium commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't forget to allow admin to select the behavior for all groups / To select a special behavior for all members of a group such as no sending event invitation outside the groups (not sending it to personal calendar, but only on the groups calendar)

• Benny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All, there appear to be (at least) two different kind of message types in O365 groups: Mail and Calendar messages! If you set the group to "Subscribed members shouldn't receive a copy of the messages" they won't actually receive normal mails. They do receive Calendar related messages (via mail) though, which is a bit annoying as we set up a group as vacation calendar that would only be reviewed online in our case. You can however use the first calendar appointment that you receive via mail to unsubscribe from such notifications "Escalated Messages". There is no way to do that in the web-frontend as Owner/Admin, however there appears to be a PowerShell capability to do so (unfortunately I'm not the tenant admin). I'd appreciate if it would be in the abilities of the Owner/Admin of the group to control what mails are actually sent and if somebody opts to "unsubscribe" that should really be the case.

• GB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In July MS said 'in the next few weeks'... having just spent some time evaluating MS Planner (which uses Groups) I could not understand why, having unsubscribed, we were all still getting email notifications of every conversation post (just because at some point you one had replied). Completely illogical and still not fixed.

• Dimitry D'hondt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft seems to be emulating some competitors behaviour, to reduce the damage, but you do not seem to have grasped the basic idea here : People experience Inbox ****. All the information is scattered through endless mails, those mails (or even the mail threads) do not offer enough CONTEXT for our brains to cope with all that information. The solution is as simple as it is elegant : you need a contextual GROUP where conversation stay in one place (you can replace PLACE and CONTEXT in the above as much as you like). Please make sure the product manager sees these comments. Someone with actual analytical abilities should follow up on this !

Otherwise Slack and your other competitors will continue to eat you market share....

• Ludovic LM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

STILL not working ! The update don't allow the admin of the groups to unsubscribe all members by defaults. Now they receive more than 50 calendar invitation in their personnal mailbox !! Bad update ... please fix it with better managing also by default for all group members.

• Nerd Glow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just spent a couple of afternoons with phone support for this. It's a bit misleading to have the "subscribe members" option when creating a group that doesn't seem to have any functionality. I look forward to a future roll out with a fix for this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base