How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

"Drag and Drop" Email Messages into Group Inbox within Outlook

Also provide "drag and drop" functionality within Outlook. Sometimes a conversion will take place outside of the Group, but that conversation may be important to the Group. Have the function to "drag and drop" an email into the Group Inbox would be a great tool.

(This is already available if the Group Shared Mailbox is added to Outlook, but a few design changes will make this feature for user-friendly and available in the desktop client.)

574 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Reid shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  AdminO365 Groups Feedback (Admin, Microsoft) responded  · 

Good news! Targeted release users can drag and drop messages and conversations into their groups in Outlook on the web. We’re actively working on bringing this to standard release users in Outlook on the web as well as for users of Outlook 2016 for Windows. You can read more about the feature here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Drag-messages-from-your-personal-mailbox-to-the-group-mailbox-24e809db-70e1-45b7-8d54-efac7951dc95 or participate in the Tech Community discussion here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-Groups/New-Drag-and-drop-conversations-into-groups/m-p/124877

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm familiar with Shared Mailboxes. What are Group Mailboxes?

• Alain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The first step is taken in OWA, expected on Windows (when is soon?), but please go all the way and include Mac, Android and IOS.
        Only possible to move messages one by one, really??? This is the 21st century !!!
        Please go further in your efforts, but thanks for this first important step.
        https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Drag-messages-from-your-personal-mailbox-to-the-group-mailbox-24e809db-70e1-45b7-8d54-efac7951dc95?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without this functionality the value of a group mailbox is significantly reduced to the point where we will unlikely use them in my organisation. Essential.

• Tomas Paulas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

well, as minimum let the group it appear in Office 2016 client same way as appearing in Outlook Web -> Add Shared Folder and allow creating subfolders. It is mailbox after all. I think those conversations that we see now are dead end.

I thought it was already in ! Full outlook integration is THE feature where Teams can make a REAL difference with other ChatOps like Slack or others. This would transform Outlook into a universal client application from which you can manage and properly reroute all information flows whatever their format (e-mail, conversation, file,...)

• Marek Staniewski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be possible to add external mail to the group but not necessary the way that such an email is distributed to each Group member (unless someone set reminder for new elements in Group library).
        We are using for such purpose Exchange public folders.
        I hope then it is possible not only adding external email message to a group but that is possible to add to some sobfolder withing this group (sumilarly to Exchange Public folders).

This could lead Group to be used to as Project group.

@Rob: In OWA right click on your email address (right above "Inbox") and choose "Add shared folder" - type email address of O365 group - Bob's your uncle.

However this is very circumstantial. It should work by directly dragging to the group.
        Furthermore it should work also in Outlook and the mobile apps.

About 200 votes in 2 months, I gues you could say the crowd wants it :)
        Any update on this, other than "In the plans"?

• Rob Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do you go about adding a group shared mailbox (is that the same as an Office 365 group conversation) to Outlook 2016?

• Reid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From my perspective, the possibilities and flexibility, from a productivity standpoint, of moving messages like this is greater than anything FB, FB Messenger, WeChat, Skype, Gmail, LinkedIn etc. has. The Microsoft Exchange technology has a leg up in this area, so I would try to take advantage of it if possible.

• Reid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't have it in front of me, but I believe in the Outlook web app, a user could add the underlying "shared mailbox" that is connected to the Office 365 Group to their Outlook folder pane/tree. Once it was added, the user could drag emails into this folder, and the messages would show up in the group conversation. I believe adding the mailbox to the Outlook folder pane was the same function as adding a "shared mailbox" (i.e. an email like info@conoso.com) to a users Outlook web app. I believe all Office 365 Group conversations take place in a shared mailbox, but Microsoft engineers have just hidden it from the user, so the "drag and drop" feature should be available. It's just a matter of engineering how much access they want the user to have to this "Group mailbox." Ideally, I would allow a user to move any of their own/individual messages in AND out of a Group mailbox/conversation. Plus, allowing a admin to move (and/or copy) any messages between Groups, in case a message (even a message just moved to the Group) is more relevant in another Group conversation.

Hopefully this will come VERY soon.
        Please also include in the plans the possibility to drag 'n drop between Groups. People are bound to put things in the wrong Group ;)

@Reid
        I don't know what you mean by "This is already available if the Group Shared Mailbox is added to Outlook".
        Can you elaborate?

• Karl Lambert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe this comment should be posted in another topic, but When working with Planner and the associated Groups I often need to communicate with one or two members of the group. I need the ability to send a message to a few members and want those email chains kept in the Group Conversation area. - sending a message to the entire group is irritating to most of them and wastes their time.

Without this feature I end up sending separate emails that really should be stored in the conversation area - but I cannot get them there.

• Karl Lambert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Along this line I would like to be able to drop attached files from emails to the files section without having to save it in OneDrive then add it to the files section in the Plan/Group.

• L-E commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, looking forward to an official comment and time frame for this. This is a major issue that has to be resolved.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base