Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Convert Shared Mailbox to Office 365 Group

There should be an option to convert a shared mailbox to an office 365 group especially since the Office 365 Group is the newer better version of the Shared mailbox and there is no way to convert.

986 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anirudh A Damani shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    tell us more  ·  AdminO365 Groups Feedback (Admin, Microsoft) responded  · 

Thanks for your feedback. We are currently thinking about this. Can you please let us know what scenarios your organization uses shared mailboxes for and what options do you use. This will help us.

53 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tiago M P Freire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"TELL US MORE" - Previously, the way to do a clunky, cumbersome integration of multiple tools was to create a sharepoint site mailbox - which is now deprecated. A one-click solution which provides a unified communications and data environment for the Group is a more straightforward way to implement company processes. O365 Groups does that, providing at once an outlook group mailbox, sharepoint group site, Teams for instant messaging, and group planner, calendar, tasks (Skype for Business is clunky as ****, no one likes it).

The ability to convert a plain shared mailbox to a O365 Groups is a hassle-free migration path to upgrade a previously email-only collaboration to leverage all the juicy, modern O365 Group solutions.

• Sven Dräbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just migrated into the Cloud and of course we have a lot of Shared Mailboxes which most of them would be perfect to change/convert to an Office 365 Group/Teams. As this is currently after 2 years requesting still not possible the only workaround is to create a new Office 365 Group and move the E-Mails, calender entries etc. what needs a lot of time.

• Timothy Kroeger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shared mailboxes are currently used by many of our users to receive requests or attachments from external parties. 3-5 generally have access to this shared mailbox and they are tasked with viewing the Inbox several times throughout the day and then take action on the message by moving it to a personal work-in-progress folder they each have to indicate to the others that they are taking action. Once the action is performed they will move the message to a completed folder for that customer for record keeping. If the shared mailbox could be converted to a Group/Team but any message that is sent come to the Conversation view but allow a member to convert the message to a task will all of messages payload and header and assign it as needed with a due date and view-able in Planner and when the status changes have the original sender be notified by email. This would greatly add to our ability to convert from a shared mailbox and better streamline and report on action items due or processed.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I would like is a setting that limited any activity performed in a shared mailbox, to be retained solely in that mailbox. e.g.; replies, forwards, sent items, etc. all display in the shared folders. As it is now, if a user replies to a message from their own mailbox, the sent items is stored in their account and not visible to other members.

• Donald Basch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems that this would be a convenient option for the 365 community. I personally could make use of it for our business.

• Ervin Tarkhanian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A better feature might be to have a third option which would combine the features of both shared mailboxes and groups, and have admin options to enable/disable some of the features.

For example:
        (These are not available in shared mailboxes)
        Allow use on mobile: Yes/No
        Add external users: Yes/No
        Delete messages for all: Yes/No

(These are not available in groups)
        Reply as group address by default: Yes/No
        Accept email from external users by default: Yes/No
        Allow mailbox import: Yes/No

If the idea is that groups will eventually replace shared mailboxes, then these options are a must!

• James Read commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We used shared mailboxes as a shared work space to manage emails. Distribution list are more used for notification. so for us it would be more important to be able to convert shared mailboxes to Office 365 group then with distribution lists. This will allow for a seem less transition to Office 365 groups. Obviously you would need more feature parity with the e-mail portion of Office 365 Group like creating folders n the Office 365 group mailbox.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I created a shared mailbox to connect to various external services such as Amazon.com for receipts, hotel bookings, Chase.com, etc. It should have been a Group, but since it's already connected to various websites, I can't create a new email.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have shared mailboxes for our accounts receivable and accounts payable, as well as operations so all projects and changes in contracts can be seen by everyone. I honestly have no idea if it makes sense to convert them to Office365 groups, only because those emails are used with external people mostly, and groups seem to be mostly focused on internal. Found this page by trying to find guidance on which to use

• Shane Power commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our organisation is now considering the move to Google Apps. It’s absolutley ridiculous that this feature and the overall implementation of Groups across Outlook for Mac and iOS is taking so long. No official feedback from Microsoft on here since Sept 2017 either.

• Vilmar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After a year or so I've come back to this as I try to introduce more products to my team. This will be an essential part in swaying them.

• DGC183 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this happen. Would solve so many issues we are having with legacy shared mailboxes and the mobile Outlook apps.

• Chaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to get our users away from traditional shared mailboxes. In most organizations I've worked with, shared mailboxes tend to be a black hole of data, anti-collaborative, and large and cumbersome to manage. This is in addition to the other limitations other have mentioned as far as accessing shard mailbox across Outlook experiences.

• Brad PFEFFER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used to buy dedicated mailboxes and pay for the Exchange Online Plan 1 license and share the credentials among users, primarily because of various limitation of Shared Mailboxes, particularly when using mobile devices.

I have used Shared Mailboxes where they fit but overall I agree with this suggestion. I have now accepted that Office 365 Groups are a much better solution than a Shared Mailbox.

I would even go as far as to suggest that Microsoft completely merge Shared Mailboxes with Groups and just force users to use Groups so there are less features to maintain.

As one user has commented here, Microsoft has tried to offer too many features which are always 95% of what they should be. I hate to agree but Shared Mailboxes still don't really fit the way people work and Groups don't 100% either.

Give us more by giving us less...
        Why not bring the two together and reduce the number of different features you are supporting? Too many half-baked features that all try to address similar actual use cases pleases no one.

Shared Mailboxes are somewhat obsolete. If you need a support@mycompany.com or info@mycompany.com shared mailbox, an Office 365 group will work and will likely offer more overall value. Consider creating the Group by creating a Team in Microsoft Teams named 'info' or 'support' (you can give it a nicer name after you create it, the initial name from the Teams App is also used as the Alias. If you use PowerShell to create the Team you can specify the Alias and Names separately. Point being, though, you will bring all the details around this topic into a single place. Your support email and support documents can all be stored nicely together in the same group. The Group resources like Calendar are there too.

Groups are accessible from Outlook on Mobile or the Groups app.

I think Microsoft should fully commit to replacing Shared Mailboxes with Groups and allow Groups to work in the same way.

THE BIG MISSING PIECE OF THE PUZZEL:

Right now, there's an extra step, which requires significant user discipline to use a Group to replace a Shared Mailbox...

Users must manually replace the 'from' address, which is not even shown by default, when sending to external users 'As' or 'On Behalf of' a group. This field is not available in Outlook on Mobile at all, users on mobile will need to use OWA which requires an extra step each time to show, and then remove, the From address.

Training users to do this is difficult and they frequently forget.

In our organisation we have locked this down using Transport Rules which reject mail sent outside the organisation using user addresses instead of group addresses, but this is by no means ideal.

Microsoft should enable us to force all external mail sent using the group to be send either 'As' or 'On Behalf of' the group. Then the Office 365 Group can fully replace the Shared Mailbox concept.

• Jesus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about because the Outlook mobile team still has not added support for shared mailboxes. they do have Groups in there, could help us overcome a years-long issue there.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base