Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Convert Shared Mailbox to Office 365 Group

There should be an option to convert a shared mailbox to an office 365 group especially since the Office 365 Group is the newer better version of the Shared mailbox and there is no way to convert.

1,997 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anirudh A Damani shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

117 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mike Madden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I should add - We have a legacy shared mailbox for inbound estimate requests. We also have a newer MS Team / Group set up for the estimating team. I'd like to combine these two without changing the legacy email address used for the shared mailbox.

• Jon Scarpa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Office 365 groups + Exchange Groups is a mess, these should be merged to be the same - not 2 separate platforms. It makes no sense that I can have a resource mailbox in Outlook, that I can't display on a SharePoint site, but then also can't convert to a new Office 365 group to display in SharePoint and if I we're to move everyone to using an Office 365 group calendar, then it becomes a training issue as well. Please make calendaring across Office 365 these the same platform.

• Thomas Dewar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would definitely be better to switch between the two. This way if you realize later, it would have been better if I made this a..., you can switch. Sometimes it does not become apparent how the account should be set up until after it is created and in use.

• Nick Barker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Groups are an absolute mess. I think everyone who is or has managed a 365 Hybrid environment has nightmares about groups.

*** VIP Suggestion ***

Create a tool (.net or PowerShell) that:
    = asks for your on-prem (Admin) creds and your Global Admin account for you Cloud Tenant
    = collects information on all on prem groups and other non-usermailbox Exchange Objects
    = gathers info about your EXO Tenant and your Hybrid config
    = Does some number crunching (animated gears turning....)
    = finally it spits out a report with your mail enabled security groups, Distribution groups, room/resource mailboxes, ect.. as well as any errors.
    = Finaly the tool should provide a recommended migration path plan or suggestions
    = R2 of the tool should have a nice gold button at the bottom of the report with a sparkeling unicorn in the middle with bold test that says, "Press here if you want us to preform the recommended operations for you"

Finally, we all bow down to the Supreme developers and Engineers at Microsoft who put this bad boy together!!!

Please can we get something like that!

Thanks,

Nick B.

Nick Barker
    TRWD
    Systems Architect ▹ Information Services
    Email: nick.barker@trwd.com

• Clayton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you could just merge all the features of shared mailboxes and office 365 groups instead of them being 2 separate things, you'd have a perfect solution. It would be nice if group emails, calendar and contacts were amalgamated into each users inbox and tagged so they could be filtered out or removed when removed from a group.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We currently have a client with a shared mailbox, where the user ALSO wants to be alerted in their own mailbox of new items.

We are a small team and so being able to share information and manage various email addresses across multiple members is important

• Dave Wujcik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We currently have a client with a shared mailbox, where the user ALSO wants to be alerted in their own mailbox of new items.

They are specifically asking for something that is a feature of Groups, where the message stays in the group, but also delivers to (optionally subscribed) inboxes. Transport rules are more complex (and the assigned tech hasn't gotten it working yet).

This seems like a natural extension of the upgrade path, and as a Gold partner this would help us to leverage the larger platform to migrate more clients into the Office365 ecosystem.

One major option we use in shared mailboxes is creating subfolders to sort the emails.
    I agree that the possibility of migrating from one to the other would be great

It would be good to be able to mix and match the features of shared mailboxes and Office 365 groups

Seria interessante alterar entre caixas de correio compartilhadas e grupos do Office 365.

It would be good to be able to mix and match the features of shared mailboxes and Office 365 groups.

Our sales team needs to collaborate as a group and be able to send emails from a common sales email.

It would be good to be able to mix and match the features of shared mailboxes and Office 365 groups.

In fact, Office 365 group mailbox should be accessible as a shared mailbox

• Konrad Jagiello commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

shared mailboxes are so much more difficult to track communication
    and also Outlook with access to few shared mailboxes becomes very slow.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base