Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Convert Shared Mailbox to Office 365 Group

There should be an option to convert a shared mailbox to an office 365 group especially since the Office 365 Group is the newer better version of the Shared mailbox and there is no way to convert.

2,233 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anirudh A Damani shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

136 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Fran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, without this,we cannot create a Team from an existing shared mailbox.

• Kathy Wade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use shared mailboxes when mail folders are required and when mail rules are required. It would be nice to have that functionality in an O365 Group.

• Müslüm Ejder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is easy to build a shared mailbox but when the team became more users than the way that we can migrate to O365 Groups would help us.

• Will commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to manage access groups for shared mailboxes in O365 from active directory would be very helpful for a single point of management.

• Lynda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to set up mailboxes that groups of people can monitor and I need to change that group now and then. Instead of having each person set up all the mailbox I want an Admin to control from the Admin portal who gets the emails.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shared resource capabilities of groups is very beneficial. However, legacy shared mailboxes are stuck. Need to move them forward with the rest of the org.

• Gavin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If MSFT wants us to use Groups more, this seems like an obviously needed feature. I have had shared mailbox used for over 3 years now and if it can't be easily migrated to a 365 Group it stays as a Shared Mailbox. Groups has so many more features but lacks this basic migration tool (which, btw, would need to support folder hierarchy)

For small business where there is 3 receptionist desk set up and they respond to incoming emails for the business. At any given time any one of the receptionist should be able to respond to new emails that are coming. So one email is required with multiple users logins

• Kjetil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! O365 Groups has better capabilities than shared mailboxes.

• Maarten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a number of old shared mailboxes (that predate the advent of groups). These were setup to allow multiple users to reply to emails from third parties. Many of the source materials to compose the replies to these incoming emails were/are dispersed in a variety of different places (locally, shared network resources, etc.)

With the implementation of groups/teams it has greatly simplified the bundeling of various tools and resources, it is however impractical (not desirable) to simply create a new group as this would mean we would loose a huge amount of relevant/important historic data. As such a migration/conversion tool would allow us to maintain our old records while enjoying the plethora of options available in groups/teams.

Yes, we need this. Many people not yet aware that Shared Mailboxes have many issues with manageability and security, and that Groups would be a better fit. Working on changing that. But a migration path would be welcome, and would help to drive the adoption.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be particularly useful for small orgs and non-profits who grow in less predictable ways. We have several small projects that have turned into larger teams, that would benefit from Teams functionality, but without the ability to move their shared mailbox and address cleanly to a group we are a little stuck. I can only imagine how frustrating this must be for larger orgs simply facing this as a legacy challenge.

More generally- if you want to push a new tool for us, instead of updating the features and granularity of an existing tool (like shared mailboxes), please at least create migration pathways for existing users to move from the older product to the newer one!

• Mike Madden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I should add - We have a legacy shared mailbox for inbound estimate requests. We also have a newer MS Team / Group set up for the estimating team. I'd like to combine these two without changing the legacy email address used for the shared mailbox.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base