Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Planner task to appears in Outlook Desktop Client

It would be nice if the Tasks created in the planner using O365 groups would appear under the 'task' section of outlook.

751 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jules shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    tell us more  ·  AdminO365 Groups Feedback (Admin, Microsoft) responded  · 

Hi All,

Thanks for this request. We are rolling out the links to planner boards for groups in Outlook desktop from the group card, so that should help get to the planner task list.
    This request seems to be asking for the Outlook desktop tasks list to also show planner tasks. Can you help us understand the use cases and details on the actions you expect to perform with planner tasks in Outlook?

Thanks.

40 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gary Lundblad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Outlook Tasks religiously to manage everything I'm working on, big and small. If a task is assigned to me in Planner I would love for it to show up in my list of Tasks in Outlook, and create a link as well, so that if I click it off in Outlook as being completed, it will be marked completed in Planner as well. Also, if notes are added in Outlook, they would be added to the task in Planner, and vice versa. In addition, a link in the Outlook task that would open the task in Planner would be terrific. Office 365 is all about integration for the sake of collaboration, and I would suggest it's also about learning to think of the various apps as parts of a whole, not separate. This is one of the big selling features for Office 365. Why do I use all MS Office apps, because they integrate well together. The more they integrate, the more likely I am to stick to only Office tools. Planner added the ability to show your Planner tasks on your outlook calendar, so why not go one step further, and even more appropriately, add them to your Outlook Tasks.

• Nicolas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to have tasks in one single place, not multiple. We need a client application for planner tasks as the web version works up to 50 tasks max and then becomes more and more sluggish... Hard to convince people to work with a such inefficient tool.

• David Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would want Planner Tasks ASSIGNED TO ME to appear in my Outlook Tasks and my To DO (not sure why we have both). I'd want one place to see all my tasks (and where they came from) at a glance.

• Chris Schaedler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The main-Point of having the planner tasks synced is to have one point where all my tasks are consolidated. So it is from my point of view not necessary to see all planner tasks in my outlook. but it is necessary to see "my planner tasks" in my outlook-tasks as well.

So i can track my personal tasks on both sides and close them in outlook, planner or in Todo. That would help me alot.

• Chaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see a unified task system and I think Planner best fits this or at least all experiences have the same backend somehow. Right now, you create tasks in OneNote, SharePoint, Outlook, Planner, ToDo.

• Joacim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As someone who basically lives and breaths Outlook and the associated tasks, the ability to see planner tasks in the same place as all other tasks assigned to me is crucial for adoption.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Planner seems useless without the tasks appearing in outlook, seems weird that this isn't a feature.

Definitely agree: "Common theme/bottom line: consolidate ways of doing things across O365. You can have different front-ends optimized for different scenarios, but they shouldn't need to look in different places for the same type of data or workflow."

Since alignment and integration of task mgmt functionality across MS ecosystem is such a long-standing and yet super relevant issue, let me just copy a comment from another user regarding Microsoft To-Do:

"Eliminating the divide between teams’ project management and individuals’ task management is the key. If someone assigns me a task in Planner (or SharePoint, VSTS, etc.), that should show up on my to-do list. I should be able to prioritize it along with all of my other tasks.
        When I mark it complete, that should automatically update the source task so that the project manager can monitor progress.
        In addition, Outlook is where I manage my day, so that’s where I should be able to manage my tasks. Most incoming work lands in my email inbox (or OneNote), so the ability to create a task from there is crucial.
        That task should have a link back to the original email so I can reopen it and reply or process it, depending on what the task entails. Some task management apps refer back to emails, but none of them work well with Outlook because it currently lacks a good way to link to an individual mail item."

• markus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why should Planner tasks be accessible in Outlook?:
        • Microsoft provides a lot of tools to track tasks (like Exchange, SharePoint, Project, Wunderlist). All these tools had in common, that users are able to see their tasks in one central place: Microsoft Outlook. Therefore, tasks from Planner should be visible and editable in Outlook, too.
        • Furthermore, people want these tasks also available in OWA and in Outlook Apps. It should not make a difference, if you are working mobile or with desktop software.

What further features do we expect to see in Planner?
        • We miss an export option (to Excel, PDF). It is important to forward overviews to responsibles/externals. And it would mean an exit strategy: at any point of time, we could switch from Planner to a SharePoint task list (we already had the case, that a Plan was not flexible enough and it was necessary to enter all tasks again.
        • It would also be nice to have an import option (from CSV or Excel format) for everyone, who has already tracked tasks with a list and now wants to switch to Planner instead.
        • We ask ourselves, why Planner is not able to save a Plan as a template or as an alternative copy an existing plan. That saves a lot of time for projects with a nearly same structure.

• Reid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems like an easy one. Outlook Tasks is a much more robust/precise task management app for an individual than is Planner. I would like to see the tasks that are assigned to me in Planner to show up in my Outlook Tasks, with tasks grouped into folders/tasks groups by their plan. Outlook Tasks allows sorting and tagging of tasks, features which are not available in Planner. In addition, the printing component of Outlook Tasks is miles above what is available in Planner. The memo task list printed from Outlook Tasks is the best.

Basically, what this company has done here: http://apps4.pro/planner.aspx

• Sami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There needs to be a way to have all tasks from all locations appear in Outlook Desktop. Plus the ability to filter which tasks come from where, such as planner tasks and their corresponding buckets and individual outlook tasks, all in the same view.

• mia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be ideal if it worked both ways - if you flag something as a task, it should show up in Planner. if you flag something in planner, it should show up in outlook tasks.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to clarify:
        I only threw in OneNote and Project, because there are more ways to add tasks in the MS Universe. But to start with Planner would help a lot.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Planner is the place to go for a project owner or team leader to organise what needs to be done.
        On the front end, the task needs to be accomplished. It doesn't matter where it comes from:
        - Planner
        - OneNote
        - Project
        - Outlook E-Mail

Microsoft bought Wunderlist, an awesome piece of Software, for a lot money. The connection between "To Do" (former Wunderlist) and Outlook Task is already there. So why not connect all the ways, tasks can be assigned (in this case Planner), to Outlook Task/To Do. This way,

I open "To Do" in the morning, go through my tasks, put, what I wann do today to "My Day" and start accomplishing things (no matter if there are Team Tasks from Planner, or Tasks I set for myself...

Use case: I manage my personal tasks in outlook, but my team or project tasks in Teams. Currently, I have 2 places to go to for checking what I need to accomplish.

Expectation:
        - I click "tasks" in outlook and see both my personal tasks and Planner tasks. If a planner task and I mark it complete, it marks complete in Planner, too. There should also be a link to click through and see the task in Planner.

• James D. Schwarzmeier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would say this is one of a number of examples of users being confused at the differences between things. If they are assigned tasks, they don't care whether they came from Planner or a follow-up flag or whatever. They are all just things the user needs to do. In other words, the Outlook app should really just be a front-end client to ALL the tasks the user has. If they have to go to the tasks tab for SOME tasks and look at groups for DIFFERENT tasks, that's just going to generate confusion.

Another good example is viewing group calendars. Getting them to show up on the calendar tab is a super weird process. It doesn't matter if it's a group calendar or a personal calendar or a Sharepoint calendar; they all just represent meetings the person needs be aware of. So, they should all just automatically show up in the same place.

Common theme/bottom line: consolidate ways of doing things across O365. You can have different front-ends optimized for different scenarios, but they shouldn't need to look in different places for the same type of data or workflow.

• Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would expect to get the planner in the Outlook desktop client.
        I would like to be able to create a task from an email and that they would be "linked" so that I can see the text from the emails in that email chain on the task.
        Also, I'd like to be able to reply to/fordward the linked email from the task.

Most of the task I have begin when I receive an email an involve responding to that email at some point.

I work mostly with the outlook desktop application. This is where I create my own tasks. It feels weird to have tasks in different applications. I would like to see them all in the outlook desktop. This would give me a better overview and decrease complexity.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base