How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Groups Button in App Launcher

Please add a Groups button in the App Launcher. I thought this was a planned release.

I understand the reasoning behind Groups and modern teams and using Delve. However, my clients don't care and want a button. Thanks

350 votes
Sign in
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kevin Costello shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sign in
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Bill Blais commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, and I think it comes down to real-world use, not engineering desire.

Specific use case:
        A) User wants to use Word, they click the 'Word' button
        B) User wants to use OneDrive, they click the 'OneDrive' button
        C) User wants to access a Sharepoint site, they click the 'Sharepoint' button
        D) User wants to access Teams, they click the 'Teams' button
        E) User wants to access a Group, they have to be taught to click Outlook > scroll down to bottom > wait for Groups to populate > click the desired Group

I understand that Groups don't have the same 'separation' that the other apps do, built as it was, but 'E' above is really unsupportable. Even a basic Groups-only listing that this proposed Groups button would link to would be immensely helpful for end-users. Yes, you can search in Outlook for groups only, but this is not intuitive.

Perhaps if Groups were labelled everywhere (from the outset) as 'Outlook Groups' instead of 'Groups', the connection and access might be more clear to general users, but they aren't so it isn't.

• dpsmith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could Microsoft please add a tile to the Office 365 start menu?

Our users need constant coaching as to how to view and access the groups they're subscribed to. If only the tile led to a landing page with a display of all of the group names they're a member of, this would help us greatly.

Yes, we know that others have commented that "Groups" aren't a "Product". However, that's not how Microsoft is now marketing them. The "Groups" app for iOS and Android is easily adopted by our users, but leaves them confused when they try to find the same "App" when logged on to the Office 365 portal.

• Luc Debois commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use the app'Groups' on my microsoft Phone ... but it should be nice to have something similar in Office 365 ....

• Rick de Vries commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to repeat this point from Ivan, below: "There cannot be a Groups icon, as Office 365 Groups are not a product, but rather just a membership container that glues other products (sharepoint, exchange, planner, onenote) together."

I really want to get rid of the UI currently associated with groups. It's just an overview of the content within linked services. It gives consultants AND clients the wrong idea/confuses them.

1. Add the conversation feed to SharePoint site (as an embed) and it's primary location within Outlook.
        2.Add the connectors option to SharePoint.
        3. Make the Groups UI admin only.

• Gabe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our employees are growing increasingly confused with the way Office 365 Groups can be accessed across, Apps, and Outlook.
        We urgently need a portal for Office 365 Groups where all functionality can be accessed in an instant.

• Ivan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There cannot be a Groups icon, as Office 365 Groups are not a product, but rather just a membership container that glues other products (sharepoint, exchange, planner, onenote) together.
        Also there is no iOS Groups App, it's just Outlook Groups (only the exchange portion).
        What could be helpful though is a tile that navigates you to an Groups Overview Page. This kind of already exists, but very deep buried in Outlook > Groups > Discover > .... and in the SharePoint (altough this only shows frequently and followed Sites).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Sharepoint tile only shows groups/sites you are following or suggested (whatever that means). There is no option from that page to see all groups or even all sites. I can't even figure out how to make a custom search page that will find all groups (it will only search public groups). This page is the closest thing I can find. Perhaps I'll add my own button that goes here...

• SjoerdV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I personally think this was addressed with the new SharePoint tile in the App launcher, replacing the Sites tile. Groups (with easy links to the files section) and Sites are discoverable there. Together with Outlook 2016 to monitor Group conversations, we are golden. Don't you agree?

• R2r commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely required if this is product is to be positioned, most people have no idea the feature even exists

• Luke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is especially needed for Mac users. Since the Outlook for Mac 2016 client doesn't support groups yet, Groups currently requires Mac users to login to the 0365 portal, click mail, then groups. This isn't facilitating adoption by requiring multiple steps to access these groups. If mac users keep the mail tab open, we get double notifications.

• Just commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A button and a landing page that is not Delve, Outlook, or Sharepoint, but an actual Groups page like you would find in Asana, Podio, Trello, Bitrix24, Igloo, Wiggio, Basecamp, HiTask, Moovia, Workflowy, Paymo, Redbooth, Wrike, Glip, Samepage, WorkMate, OmniPlanner,,, Huddle, Yammer (your very own product) or any of the hundreds of other legitimate team productivity tools.

Feedback and Knowledge Base