How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Allow members to search private groups.

Currently only files in public groups can be searched. Members of private groups should be able to search for files in them.

244 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mike CookMike Cook shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are also looking to have the Classic Search results page return private groups. The modern search does this, so I know it is possible. Or if I could even figure out how to pass the query from the classic search query web part to the modern results page? It would seem pretty straight forward, but no matter what querystring ({SearchBoxQuery}, {SearchTerms}, {k}, {QueryString.k}) I pass it, it doesn't work. I also tried appending &EnableDynamicGroups=true, but no go.

• Eric OverfieldEric Overfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Best I can tell, MS did fix this in the backend, i.e. graph, SharePoint Search Rest API, etc, but the classic Search Results Web Part and its derivatives used throughout classic SharePoint experiences do not include the necessary changes to their queries back into SharePoint to retrieve private data. As long as a search request contains "&Properties=’EnableDynamicGroups:true’" in the url, Private groups are searched, but since the classic webparts do not send this, the Index does not return the private results. So @Mike, will classic result webparts be updated or are will we be forced to use JavaScript to build our our results interface to the Search Rest API?

• Josh FJosh F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love an update to this. To not be able to search everything within a Private group from within that Private group is ludicrous! We are trying to move from SP on prem to SP Groups and sadly the very old SP on prem can search within the whole site but the very new SP Groups (Private) cannot...

• Dev GillDev Gill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the opposite. i still can't see anything from private Groups or from the MS Teams/Sharepoint view even though they are accessible by the whole team. Or is Teams visibility another request?

For me the private group documents are now displaying within Delve but not in SharePoint. Is anyone aware of this being looked into?

• Jan van der VeerJan van der Veer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An update from the Microsoft team would be very much appreciated. Our organisation has been waiting for this feature for a long time.

• Dev GillDev Gill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an update to this as it's almost 10 months since the initial reponse? This will prevent me considering using Delve as the messaging to the wider business would have too many ifs and buts

• T-MacT-Mac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi - I am wondering when this will be available? It said in a few weeks back on May 9th, 2016. Please provide an update!
        This is a MUST in order to be able to use this properly.

Thank you!

• George GeczyGeorge Geczy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also mirror the comment about surprise that this doesn't have more votes. How can you store a lot of files in a Group if you have no capability to search? I find group files nearly unusable otherwise.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this please?

This is one of the biggest roadbocks to implementation and adoption of both delve and groups.

Searching... kind of happens for me. In the search box I get a predictive search that lists some files... but when I click "See more results" I get "No items match your search"

It's been 8 weeks since it was announced to be released in 'the next few weeks' so I am sure they are just putting on the finishing touches.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base