Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Be able to Nest Groups like Distribution Groups

Be able to Nest Groups like Distribution Groups. I decided to convert a lot of our team DGs to O365 groups without realizing I wouldn't be able to nest them

1,919 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

92 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gavin Bollard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if you don't allow "nesting" as such, it would be good to be able to flag various "attributes" of group membership, for example "READER" versus "MEMBER" this would probably give us the same functionality -- ie: if we had a 365 group that worked in SharePoint/Teams but could say "Today we want to be able to Email/calendar this group, but only the MEMBERS and OWNERS, not the READERS. Similarly, being able to say within this SharePoint site, give the "READERS" read-only level access and the Members Editor level

• Jerry Nguyen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make this work please! This will lead many to go back to Distributions from Groups. Surprisingly Microsoft never thought of this before they implemented the Groups? Yes, I understand the identity crisis from Groups nesting but make it simple and remove the nested identities from any sub groups and add the sub groups' members email addresses as email distributions only. Can't be that hard.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Been said by many here, so this is to throw some more weight: Microsoft, the new functionality you're rolling out which requires O365 groups, and those groups not supporting nesting, is an administrative nightmare.
        We have been trying to simplify our permissions and distributions into a root set of role based groups, but this is breaking those efforts. We want to be able to get most users 90% of what they need in terms of access and information distribution by adding them to a single core representative role group. What we find with O365 groups is we're facing going back to the days of having out of control group membership and no handle to what a user should and shouldn't have. New user? Make them look like Bob. Changed role? What should they keep or have added?

• Daniel Schnyder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just do it - it is a pain in the projects, that it is not possible ot nest AD Groups in Universal groups.

• ChadR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An example would be 4 divisions within one department. Maintaining a list of users in one place would be helpful.

• Tam Vuong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just upgrade our com site to a Hub and find out that I cannot nested groups for anything. Instead of having one Officers group and one Staff group, I now have to maintain one Officers group, one Staff group, one Officers + Staff, and the same 3 security groups. I am struggling.

• Geoff Hallford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At this point, even if you rolled-out that only the email functionality of nesting was done, that is good enough. Forget about permissions for other things like Teams, Power BI workspaces, etc. Just make the email nesting work please.

This is pretty ridiculous. Throwback to NT4 domain controllers here - it's 2018 guys, not 1998. Nesting of objects is a core feature and while I can understand it wasn't there at launch, it's been years. If it wasn't thought of in the original feature set, your analysis team failed to hit their mark.

• Triton Buttfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just finished "upgrading" a new part of the business to Office365 groups only to find the nesting functionality they previously used is unavailable. It would be nice to have this reinstated sooner rather than later.

I wanted to convert our static location based DL's to dynamic O365 groups - couldn't convert them so decided to create new O365 group and add it as a member of the old DL group (so wouldn't break cached address in Outlook) - doesn't work!

• Matt Shafer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why this is in "tell us more" status. The premise is very straight forward. I have one Office365 group and I want to make other Office365 groups members of the first group. My exact scenario is organizational structure. My CTO wants to be able to send an email to one address and have that distribute out to the whole division, feeling confident that everyone that reports up through him received it.

This is easily accomplished in DL's but not being able to do this with O365 groups is frustrating. Office365 groups allow delegation of ownership with easy management where DL's are not as easily managed. I want to be able to let department managers be responsible for who is in their Department O365 group and have those Departmental groups be part of an overall Divisional group.

• Camille Ponchet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When a user needs to apply a sharing on different Office 365 resource, he can create an Office Unify group to group others groups. This way of doing will help multiple resources sharing easily.

About the why a group of groups may be useful, we can have several groups available in the system (Team1, Team2) and we want to group this two groups for a common project.

You really need to be able to manage group membership by being able to add a member, add an external user or add an existing 'group' (AD, DL, team) of any type from a SINGLE interface without transitioning between products and admin levels(SPO, Outlook, SPO advanced security, etc, etc).
        We just want to add "people" to a team, whether by virtue of being an individual or part of another group of people....

• Matt Chapman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How does this get escalated to the top of the backlog? Group nesting should work by default even for synchroniced groups from on premise or Azure AD groups.

• Ganesh Majeti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do understand that this is not as easy as it looks or like the people think in below comments, especially the way Office 365 groups are deeply integrated into lot of various platforms in Microsoft 365 products.. but would be a great feature to have.. I don't understand what do you mean by "Tell us more".. what aspects would you like us to express? should we advocate for this idea?

• Daniel Schnyder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a customer which would like to manage the membership of groups with Azure AD Security groups. So he can handle the membership in AD. For example he would like to add the management to of an department to all office groups which are associated to the department. So we need nesting of AD Groups.

• ARib commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using the Groups nesting feature Microsoft could really make available to companies a new and extremely useful and productive feature which would be to set-up the organizational chart of the company in which users could be added to multiple groups in a series of nesting groups.

Using this aggregation a visual chart should be made available to the entire organization in order to provide an intuitive way to browse through all groups and users, making it easy to find the right groups / people to contact.

• Capn Ron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is table stakes for a corporation. I'm a bit shocked it doesn't exist, as Outlook and Office have existed for decades. Gmail is so far ahead of you on this, albeit not without their own quirks.

There should also be a better way to derive and automatically update the hierarchy from another database like PeopleSoft, Active Directory, etc. Keeping groups up to date has always been a big challenge.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base