Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Be able to Nest Groups like Distribution Groups

Be able to Nest Groups like Distribution Groups. I decided to convert a lot of our team DGs to O365 groups without realizing I wouldn't be able to nest them

2,658 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

126 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • James Lloyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey creative folks - what if we create a service account to be the 'sub group' and then have that service account forward mail to the actual sub-group? Since MS can't seem to figure it out. Users couldn't browse the message history, but at least they'd be included and not forgotten because there's a huge chain of groups to update with every staffing change.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why does it take so many years to get nowhere?
    being able to use groups on only a single layer model is no good for large enterprise users!
    I dont want to have to have thousands of user in a single group.
    I need to be able to have manageable groups set sizes and nest these groups hierarchically
    this is a basic user management requirement and a ridiculous miss

• Adam Solomon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So now you can add one group to another but it just enumerates the members and adds them. If the membership of the second subgroup changes this is not reflected in the first superset group. This is suboptimal and unlike how nested groups work in AD (and by extension Exchange).

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! I am coming up to this problem where I need to create a group merging other department groups into one. Each department needs to maintain their list of people, for their department purposes, and I need to be able to address that subset of each department as one entity and tie them all to the same team room. The joys of a matrix organization!

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a severe limitation, concerning emails sent to a distribution group not making it to public group members of the distribution group. That's not even nesting, and it doesn't work. Please prioritize supporting at least that ability. I.e., Source Email -> DG -> ... -> DG -> PG. At the very least, a public group should certainly be able to receive emails sent to distribution groups it is a member of, when no other node in the chain is a public group.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft - please provide an update on this. If you need to know more, please PM me and I am happy to discuss. This is a very important feature (nesting a security group into unified groups). It has been open way too long. Let's get some traction here and at least update the status / roadmap for this.

• Vinh Dang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are awaiting for too long now, please Microsoft answer us that you need how many votes in order you to allow nest office 365 groups to another Office 365 group

I am a corporate IT educator and the lack of having this option available is extremely frustrating for my end users. Why do group owners need to add the same user to multiple different groups when this could be handled easily with nested groups? This may not be a big issue for small organizations who do not have a constant influx of new hires or a large number of O365 groups, but the larger the organization is the more important this feature becomes. I have directors who own multiple O365 groups spending far more time than they should acting as IT administrators rather than doing the job they were hired to do. It gets even worse that they HAD this functionality previously and now are being told they must maintain all of their groups separately.

I am having a very hard time selling the use of O365 Groups to staff because basic functionality like this is missing. If you want people to adopt Modern SharePoint, Teams and other O365 group integrated systems, make it easy to administer by group owners!

• Ben Dyke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just bumped in to this problem and it's very frustrating! It makes managing memebership and roles much more complicated and breaks simple things we had with distribution lists and mail enabled security groups...there must be a way forward Microsoft!

• Judi Stewart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is essential behaviour in a multi-level organisation, where emails are directed to groups of recipients based on what department or role they hold, and should change automatically if they move to another role or department.

Oh goodness I just started using Groups to coordinate using sharepoint and this is not good. Why use Groups now? This is how alot of our system alerts and company wide lists for notifications are arranged . If they want us to use the new Groups, why does it strip away the most needed granular features of DLs. More confusion and overlap.

• Cory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah.. If you're trying to do away with distribution lists and make everyone go to Office 365 groups - please allow for groups to be nested in them (Office 365 group inside another Office 365 Group/etc).

With this functionality, this would be a simple step for us to move everything over to Office 365 groups which would also make Automation easier via Graph API/etc.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams is a huge example of this need. When a new hire comes on, instead of just being able to add them to their one group which group is a member of all appropriate teams, I have double the work by first of all re-figuring out which groups they need to be in, but then adding them to each of those teams. Its crazy that AD and Exchange have supported this for the longest time but this was just overlooked in O365

Honestly what do you expect from Microsoft. This is working very well in Google Suite, but Microsoft does not really understand what is important for user.

• Jimmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When can we get this feature enabled/provided?? Administrators need nested groups. Is a nightmare without it.

• Darren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At this point just being able to place an Office 365 Group into a legacy style Distribution Group would be fine.

It's bonkers that we can't have a setup like

County Name (Distribution Group)
    Location 1 (Office 365 Group)
    Location 2 (Office 365 Group)
    Location 3 (Office 365 Group)

My scenario is I want emails sent to channels. Via email address. - so a DL with the O365 group nested and Channel Email. So then they can discuss the email as a team in Channel in Teams and reply from the group mailbox.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Crazy that we cant do this already - Nested groups makes management SO MUCH EASIER! As one example, we should be able to add a GROUP as a member of a TEAM in MS Teams, so that all we have to do is add a new employee to their one primary group and they then get all permissions and abilities as needed, including get auto-added to a given TEAM

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base