Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Be able to Nest Groups like Distribution Groups

Be able to Nest Groups like Distribution Groups. I decided to convert a lot of our team DGs to O365 groups without realizing I wouldn't be able to nest them

1,240 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

68 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is an ignite session from 2016 promising this functionality, what is the hold up :)! It would be fantastic to be able to add Mail Enabled security objects, other Office 365 Groups, Distribution List and Security Groups into an O365 Group. Further, if any of those objects had nested items under them like a DL named Marketing-USA which consists of Marketing-EastCoast and Marketing-WestCoast under it.

• KM@PATH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use o365 groups to manage our access to our SharePoint, Outlook distribution groups and Box folders. The absence of nest groups makes nearly impossible to manage access privileges across dozens of groups. I'd like a solution similar to what Google G-Suite developed: https://support.google.com/a/answer/167100?hl=en. What more do you need to know?

• Oscar Stankard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on really, how long is it going to take, you've been 'just about' to fix 365 group nesting for 3 years now? I can't remember the number of times I thought I'd check back on this and find it's been fixed and then find still not.

If you can't call it nesting perhaps you'd permit us to 'tag' users with certain 'skills' or 'trust' so we can use dynamic membership to build the group, rather than see it as a 'groups of groups'. Either way having to manually add every single member basically renders the system unusable for groups above 20 people. And who's going to learn powershell and develop/find a script just to do what they can do with a normal group? A script that runs several times a day to check updates to subordinate groups, and would have to be the only way group changes are made or cause conflicts, the more I think about it the more broken it sounds.

Please please please just let 365 groups allow nesting already, or even elude to the reason you can't / no longer want to for the sake of my sanity.

• Mike Honn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe a way around this if we could populate distribution groups with Office365 groups. So long as they were dynamic it should work.

• Mike Honn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes for sure. Without this, we have to put people in several groups. If they were nested then we could just add the subgroups to the larger group and the email and sharing would then flow properly.

• Wai Li (Solution Architect) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this is missing. If 365 groups are used in a departmental context you will want to nest them in an organisational hierarchy or have the ability to add them to exiting DL hierarchy.

• Anna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want to be able to nest other secuity groups as well. It's not ideal to have an ITS managed security group in AD, and a user-managed group in the for of an O365 Group.

• Kirk Hammond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nested groups is a basic and required featured guys. Honestly, you should be embarrassed it was not included at launch. Huge miss, get it fixed ASAP please.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree, I just migrated mailboxes to Office365 and I can't believe this isn't an option

• Alan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would take the product to a new level. We currently have to manage two sets of groups, AD and O365 groups.

• claudine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Want to know more? Simple: Organizations work in a hierarchical way, it's not new. it will remain this way.
        To avoid heavy security management, we need groups embedded in one another to avoid having to add a new employee to multiple groups.
        Distribution lists and security groups allow this. why not allow it in Office 365 groups?
        It's a no brainer

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base