Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Office 365 Groups?

Be able to Nest Groups like Distribution Groups

Be able to Nest Groups like Distribution Groups. I decided to convert a lot of our team DGs to O365 groups without realizing I wouldn't be able to nest them

2,460 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

113 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Cory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah.. If you're trying to do away with distribution lists and make everyone go to Office 365 groups - please allow for groups to be nested in them (Office 365 group inside another Office 365 Group/etc).

With this functionality, this would be a simple step for us to move everything over to Office 365 groups which would also make Automation easier via Graph API/etc.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams is a huge example of this need. When a new hire comes on, instead of just being able to add them to their one group which group is a member of all appropriate teams, I have double the work by first of all re-figuring out which groups they need to be in, but then adding them to each of those teams. Its crazy that AD and Exchange have supported this for the longest time but this was just overlooked in O365

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly what do you expect from Microsoft. This is working very well in Google Suite, but Microsoft does not really understand what is important for user.

• Jimmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When can we get this feature enabled/provided?? Administrators need nested groups. Is a nightmare without it.

• Darren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At this point just being able to place an Office 365 Group into a legacy style Distribution Group would be fine.

It's bonkers that we can't have a setup like

County Name (Distribution Group)
    Location 1 (Office 365 Group)
    Location 2 (Office 365 Group)
    Location 3 (Office 365 Group)

My scenario is I want emails sent to channels. Via email address. - so a DL with the O365 group nested and Channel Email. So then they can discuss the email as a team in Channel in Teams and reply from the group mailbox.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Crazy that we cant do this already - Nested groups makes management SO MUCH EASIER! As one example, we should be able to add a GROUP as a member of a TEAM in MS Teams, so that all we have to do is add a new employee to their one primary group and they then get all permissions and abilities as needed, including get auto-added to a given TEAM

Yes, please. Nested groups are a very efficient way of managing groups when a hierarchy exists, such as organizational structure. Thank you

• Anikke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What @Matt Shafer said. Absolutely, and completely obvious. O365 groups also shouldn't need an owner. If they are populated by a script or nested, an owner is inappropriate.

• Matt Shafer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still don't understand why you need to know more. This is a very simple concept. Office 365 groups are an evolution of Distribution lists. All Office365 functions are tied to this concept, and in some scenarios, the DL portion of the O365 group needs to be nested.

Real-world use case:
    All staff list. Since all staff will be in a department group (generally office365 so it has Teams, yammer, etc...) we then nest those department groups under an "All Staff" group. The recent addition of company wide teams makes this even more needed to control that membership.

• Caleb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

tell you more...? what more do you need to know after 4 years and this being the top requested idea for O365 groups?

• Jenna Bonner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nesting groups is an administrative necessity to manage communications to end users for all companies, but especially a large Global company. From an applications perspective, this is the easiest way to communicate health and alerting to various groups who are impacted.

• Andrew Reggans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nesting groups will allow O365 group owners to work smarter, not harder. This will definitely impact efficiency within teams and inter-working groups.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base