Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

Create new Remote Shared Mailboxes from hybrid

Allow the creation of new remote mailboxes that are 'shared' mailboxes. At present, you have to create a regular user mailbox and then after you have synchronized this to Office 365, you then have to login to the 365 admin portal and convert it to shared. The problem with this method is that the user object on premises will always be shown as an office 365 mailbox and not an office 365 shared mailbox. Just a bit messy.

387 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jared Johnston shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regards to archiving status for existing objects, once you have done an Enable-RemoteMailbox on your existing objects, you need to retrieve the Archive name and GUID from Exchange online, and manually populate them against the on premise objects, for ECP to display the correct archiving status.

Fairly easy with powershell.

Whether or not it is different when archiving is/isn't enabled, I couldn't tell you without more testing.

Anyone any input on getting the archiving status in sync for existing shared mailboxes when enabling-remotemailbox?

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can anyone please tell me the msExchRemoteRecipientType value of an AD user when running the new Enable-RemoteMailbox -Shared switch?

Feels like another half baked solution from Microsoft.

If we have existing AD user objects associated/synced to shared mailboxes in cloud, and those cloud mailboxes have archiving enabled, how do we enable archiving on the remote mailbox entry on premise to match?

When doing "Enable-RemoteMailbox" with a "-Shared" switch, you cannot also specify "-Archive".
    As such, when the mailbox then appears in the on premise ECP as a shared mailbox, it says archiving is not enabled. This is obviously not the case as the mailbox in cloud does have it enabled.

If I look at the available switches for "Set-RemoteMailbox", there is not one called "-Archive". There is however, "-ArchiveGuid" and -"ArchiveName".

Are we supposed to enable archiving through the on premise ECP GUI option, or are we supposed to retrieve the actual archive GUID from exchange online, and then populate the on premise object using set-remotemailbox -archiveguid?

Deleting via powershell works though :S

Can we also correctly create remote equipment and room mailboxes now, using the -equipment and -room switches, and will they show up under the appropriate tabs in ECP?

Just tried this, and used powershell to create a new remote mailbox of typed shared.
    When attempting to delete the mailbox through ECP however, I get a message that states:
    "Error, Remote Test isn't a mailbox user."

Anyone else see the same issue when trying to delete a remote shared mailbox through ECP?

This is great news! Just need to wait for it to appear on WSUS so I can get it installed.

Does the AD schema update occur during the installation of the CU, or does it need to be done manually?
    Do you know if it also adds GUI options to complete these tasks, or is it powershell only?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely PLEASE ALLOW for creation of remote mailboxes that are shared mailboxes. Having to jump through the hoops to create on-prem & move is a bit silly.

I have had a senior engineer advise me that there may be a feature enhancement in the pipeline to work around this. No solid confirmation nor ETA, but I am engaged with them to try and find out. Otherwise, managing remote shared mailboxes is still a bloody nightmare!

One issue I found with the below of editing those attributes, is that you can't then delete the remote shared mailbox from within ECP.

There really needs to be a GUI option added that can create an appropriate on premise object that is a remote shared mailbox, that doesn't require admins to fudge with attributes manually.

• Ytsejamer1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One way after converting the O365 User Mailbox to a Shared Mailbox in your O365 portal is to revisit the AD account and go into the attributes for the mailbox user.

Now update the following attributes with these values:

msExchRemoteRecipientType: 100
    msExchRecipientTypeDetails: 34359738368

That will switch it on your on-prem directory, which will then sync out to O365. Then your management utilities will show the correct mailbox type.

Found that here:
    http://jetzemellema.blogspot.com/2016/02/convert-user-mailbox-to-shared-in.html

As always, be very careful when hacking around with AD attributes.

• VV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS should definitely fix this so that you can create directly remote shared mailboxes in hybrid environment. Now you need to wait that user account is synced to the cloud, then convert the mailbox to shared, then configure mailbox as a shared in on-prem. It's hard to use any powershell scripts for remote shared mailbox creation because there are too many steps at the moment

• Terry Munro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

C'mon Microsoft. I am currently creating scripts to automate creation of Hybrid RemoteMailboxes and discovered that the official process from Microsoft is to create a local shared mailbox and then migrate.
    How is this supposed to happen in a Hybrid Environment with CAS only servers (no local MBX servers) ?
    Please add this functionality.

You can create a remote room mailbox? Any articles on that, as I didn't think it was possible!

• Ryan W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would also like ot see this. Why can you create a Remote Room Mailnbox not not a Remote Shared Mailbox?

Well, year an a half later and this still isn't possible. My options are add the remote shared mailbox to Exchange on premise as a contact, or as a remote mailbox.

Having them mixed in with normal mailboxes is a nightmare....there is a shared mailbox section for a reason.

Hopefully this gets implemented soon!

Feedback and Knowledge Base