Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

Implement email address policy

On-premises Exchange had Email Address Policies which allowed administrators to define the email addresses (SMTP:alias@domain1.com,smtp:firstname@domain2.com) that would automatically be added to mailboxes.

Office 365 desperately needs this functionality so we don't have to resort to over complicated PowerShell scripts.

437 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ben Hooper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Jeff. We need to be able to assign email address policy which will apply to Bookings. We can assign policy for Office 365 groups, including those created for Microsoft Teams, but these policies do not work for Bookings.
    This is because RecipientTypeDetails for groups is "GroupMailbox" and for Bookings this is "SchedulingMailbox".

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the very least this needs to be available for Bookings. The calendars in Bookings are assigned an email address using the "Default Policy". This means that all Bookings calendars are given an SMTP address on our primary domain. For numerous reasons we do not want end-users creating SMTP addresses there.

• eakarat thailand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Set-TransportConfig -AddressBookPolicyRoutingEnabled $true

step 1-6
    New-GlobalAddressList -Name "MBK-GAL" -RecipientFilter {(CustomAttribute1 -eq "SNGTH")}

New-AddressList -Name "MBK-All" -RecipientFilter{((((((RecipientType -eq 'UserMailbox') -or (RecipientType -eq 'MailUniversalDistributionGroup'))) -or (RecipientType -eq 'DynamicDistributionGroup'))) -and (CustomAttribute1 -eq 'SNGTH'))}

New-AddressList -Name "MBK-Rooms" -RecipientFilter {((((((Alias -ne $null) -and (CustomAttribute1 -eq 'SNGTH'))) -and (RecipientDisplayType -eq 'ConferenceRoomMailbox'))) -or (RecipientDisplayType -eq 'SyncedConferenceRoomMailbox'))}

New-AddressList -Name "MBK-Other" -RecipientFilter {(((((((RecipientType -eq 'UserMailbox') -or (RecipientType -eq 'MailUniversalDistributionGroup'))) -or (RecipientType -eq 'DynamicDistributionGroup'))) -or (RecipientTypeDetails -eq 'MailContact')) -or (CustomAttribute1 -ne 'SNGTH'))}

New-OfflineAddressBook -Name "MBK-OAB" -AddressLists "MBK-GAL"

New-AddressBookPolicy -Name "MBK-ABP" -RoomList "\MBK-Rooms" -AddressLists "\MBK-Other","\MBK-All" -OfflineAddressBook "\MBK-OAB" -GlobalAddressList "\MBK-GAL"

Get-Mailbox | Where {$_.PrimarySmtpAddress -like "*sngth.com*"} | Set-Mailbox –CustomAttribute1 "SNGTH"

Get-DistributionGroup | Where {$_.PrimarySmtpAddress -like "*sngth.com*"} | Set-Distributiongroup –CustomAttribute1 "SNGTH

Get-Mailbox -RecipientTypeDetails RoomMailbox | Where {$_.PrimarySmtpAddress -like "*sngth.com*"} | Set-Mailbox –CustomAttribute1 "SNGTH"

Get-Mailbox -RecipientTypeDetails Equipment | Where {$_.PrimarySmtpAddress -like "*sngth.com*"} | Set-Mailbox –CustomAttribute1 "SNGTH"

• S. Arbet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At one point we could configure a default address policy via the Admin Center but that has been removed. Microsoft has all but forced us into the cloud but then you tell us that certain critical features require an on-prem server? (Or as the OP stated, overly complicated PS scripts.)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have 56 policies, and about ~70 domains... We have moved to Office 365 and Exchange Online, but still have on-prem servers for this.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree lack of email address polices is crazy, we sync via DirSync and when you have 15 domains and each domain has multiple alias if we didn't have the exchange server still in place its an Administrator nightmare to be expected to do this manually via AttributeEditor or via Powershell.

Also Public Folders in O365 only option is in Web GUI or via Powershell.

Just needs to be automated like it was in Exchange.

• Garrett Wengreniuk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of this feature combined with the overwriting of the ProxyAddress field for existing Office365 users when implementing AD Connect caused havoc for us this morning. By removing the primary email address for the users as they were synced, all communication with our clients broke until I manually updated each address in our on-prem AD via Advanced -> Attributes.

This has existed in every version of exchange that I can remember -- huge oversight to be missing from Office365, especially as AD sync becomes more practical and useful, maybe we can save somebody else a morning of stress...

• Georgy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must-have feature for everyone! Please implement as soon as possible especially for DirSync\Azure AD Sync environments!

• Steven Simpson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is completely unacceptable that this is not a feature of cloud office 365 - how am i realistically going to add 5 aliases for 200 mailboxes if I cannot do this, even in powershell?

Steve

• Simon Bell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a real must have feature that needs to be implemented quickly even if its not implemented in the GUI.

• Jonathan Yergo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For the love of all that is holy, please implement this feature, Microsoft! This is absolutely necessary for environments with multiple domain aliases assigned to each user, and where DirSync/Azure AD Connect is enabled. Resorting to manual configuration or complicated PowerShell scripts is ridiculous and doesn't scale.

At least providing an easy to use utility or application to run on a DC to essentially handle email address policies would be just as good! Installing Exchange to JUST handle this portion is not acceptable - not worth the licensing costs or overhead!

• David North commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see that the non-functional Email Address Policies page has been removed, which doesn't suggest that it's going to be implemented any time soon. :(

• global commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have edited the default policy and now found the policy is 'unapplied' because changes have been made to it. I have now discovered this is a known bug. Please fix ASAP. I have no idea what our default email address policy at this time.

• Jose Orozco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a user of Office 365 with DirSync and multiple domains,

I consider this feature absolutely necessary for Exchange Online.

• Rolf Brink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can configure the email address policy, only the "apply" button is missing. This is simply a bug, and a really sloppy one.

Ever since the first business mail servers, it was possible to define address creation rules for mailboxes. The fact that the official microsoft response is to set email addresses manually for each mailbox is like going back to the stone age...

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base