Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

Provide a powershell interface from admin area - so you can use powershell directly from the portal page.

Having this ability to run PowerShell directly will remove the need to connect from on-premises to perform PowerShell tasks. This will also help 100% Mac shops - which cannot run PowerShell at all.

1,096 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see how Microsoft will implement connecting PowerShell within the O365 admin area with any on-premise deployments. Seems like a massive security risk too.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this! Getting Exchange PowerShell (and to a lesser extent, Azure AD PowerShell) working from a locked down administrative workstation (as per Microsoft's PAW guidance) is painful.

A web-based alternative with integrated MFA would be perfect!

• Dev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To avoid having to try to install the various modules and then be told that you don't have a prerequisite installed, powershell web client would get around all this. I'll still use real powershell for my on-prem stuff, but to be able to dial in and run a command rather than find a module to install or try to remember which server or workstation has everything installed, that would be great.

• Joel Reed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Second what @AlexLush mentioned. The Office 365 team needs to go talk to the Azure Cloud Shell people and implement a optional O365 Cloud Shell through the admin panel. This would be a uniform place that would pre-load and pre-auth all the necessary bits, as the Azure Shell does now for Azure.

• Alex Lush commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like this is being worked on...but not in the O365 admin area! The Azure portal currently has a 'teaser' for 'Azure Cloud Shell', looks like theres going to be an announcement at Built 2017 conference. (This appears in Azure portal top right next to the cog icon on our subscription).

So you could take that as good news for this feature, in that the MS technology to run Powershell inside a web portal is almost ready. No reason not to roll this out to O365 portal I guess.

• Lowell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wonderful idea. It can be quite confusing which modules you need to load if you're having to manage a Skype for Business/Exchange/Azure/SharePoint item too. So providing a web-based "container" idea that would pop out a PowerShell window would be great.

A great "Step 1" in that direction would be to provide a link that you click after selecting what you need to manage, and it is a PowerShell script that does all the connection for you on your local PowerShell.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good news for 100% Mac shops is that PowerShell 6 will run on the Macs.

That's helpful as long as you have staff that will use a CLI instead of a GUI. But that's the reality of Admin at scale, GUI only isn't a viable career option.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think about security a lot. We have MFA protecting access to our whole office 365 tenancy, Accepted for global admins using power shell that can just connect and do anything (Let me know if I can protect it further). However, providing in the admin site a fully functional power shell that can store favorite queries or commands would go a long way to really locking down access.

• robertl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better yet, start building Windows 365 on a Debian Linux Server back-end, get rid of Powershell altogether, and give us a Linux terminal that works with all existing Debian Linux commands.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I would like is that when ever the admin portal is used, there's an option to spit out the PowerShell code that would reprodice that gui action.

• Pop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Management tools like powershell are meant to be flexible and extendable...Building it into a GUI will defeat the entire purpose of using powershell.

• Nirmala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or better yet - build all the powershell commands into the GUI. How difficult can that be? Drop in the desired settings and let it build and execute the script. Those of us who aren't Exchange Admins would appreciate that.

• Matt Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You beat me to the punch on this one. We are a large school system and are always being asked to log into another person account for legal hold issues or searching for particular emails and having the ability to launch a specific PS cmd would be awesome.

• Michael McNally commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In case anyone is thinking this is too hard to do, Netware servers had a remote console that ran in a browser almost 15 years ago.

I can see where there would be limitations, but for basic tasks I think this should be done.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base