Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

allow the ability to merge 365 accounts seamlessly

Allow two 365 accounts to be merged without having to rebuild email accounts, move files etc... just move the domain from one 365 account to another after proper verification -- or even by just calling Microsoft support

1,740 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

148 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Brad PFEFFER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Cliff Krug,

The Office 365 you purchased with your computer is likely Home/Personal, while the GoDaddy service would be Business/Enterprise.

Office 365 Home/Personal works together with Outlook.com/OneDrive/Skype while Office 365 Business/Enterprise works together with Exchange Online/SharePoint Online/Teams (formerly Skype for Business).

These are two (2) very different sets of services. One is targeted towards personal use by consumers and the other for schools/charities/businesses/corporations.

I understand the lines between how these different services ultimately get used can become quite blurred but since the underlying infrastructure comes from two (2) completely different places, there's no way to consolidate them together.

Business is business, personal is personal. It is best that they don't overlap.

@Kiley,

Totally understand the frustration. It's easy to end up with multiple accounts and data spread about everywhere.

It would be very difficult for Microsoft to automate this kind of consolidation, but it is relatively easy to do by hand.

This is something that an IT professional with experience with Microsoft Accounts could help you scan through and consolidate. Hit me up here if you still need assistance and perhaps we could arrange a remote screen sharing via Skype or something. If I could 'see' what you are seeing it should be relatively straightforward to consolidate all the data into one of your accounts and delete the others.

@Ted Zuccarelli,

Do you know if these are Office 365 Personal/Home accounts or Office 365 Business/Enterprise?

Once we know this I can guide you on how to consolidate them.

@Simon Whittington,

Microsoft does not require Office 365/Dynamics 365 to be in separate tenants. I've seen a lot of companies with this sort of setup, usually because their Office 365 and Dynamics 365 are managed by different vendors. I agree it's a horrible setup. I have fixed exactly this for a few organisations by moving their Dynamics data to their Office 365 tenant. Little bit of work but definitely worthwhile from a user experience perspective.

This is something that would have to be merged by the organisation administrator but is not in fact that complicated.

Since migrating email/Exchange, SharePoint, and Teams is a huge ugly task, the easiest way is to backup the Dynamics databases and restore them to the tenant that has Office 365. This does require a license migration to move the Dynamics licenses to the Office 365 tenant but it's something your Microsoft Licensing partner would arrange and isn't that big a job.

This was a poor setup by whomever did it for your organisation. Although there are legitimate scenarios where Microsoft should make tenant consolidation easier, I don't think this one we can blamed on Microsoft... this time. (:

Talk to your IT team. What you are asking is definitely doable, if there's the internal willingness to do it. Reach out to me here if any other guidance is required.

@BB,

Do you use an Outlook.com account for work? ...or do you have a custom domain name for your work email address?

Typically @outlook.com accounts are for personal use, while business would have an @mycompany.com account. These should NEVER be combined together, but if you are in fact using @outlook.com for business as well I can advise you how to combine them.

@JH,

The only difference between Office 365 Personal and Office 365 Home is the number of users it covers. Personal is for one (1) user. Home is for six (6) users. In Home you can go to https://account.microsoft.com/services/office/sharing and invite up to five (5) other users.

Each of the six (6) users will get full Office Desktop Apps, 1TB of OneDrive, and 60 minutes of Skype-to-Phone calling.

Personal is all the same, but not much cheaper, and only one (1) user.

@Khoa,

Microsoft no longer allows Skype Names to be unlinked from a Microsoft Account. There is not way to move your Skype account to your other Microsoft Account.

The best way is actually to go the other way around. Use the Microsoft Account with Skype attached as your primary account. You can cancel your Office 365 subscription on the standalone account and re-subscribe on your Microsoft Account with Skype.

You can move the login names/email aliases between accounts by unlinking them, on the standalone account, at https://account.live.com/names/Manage. First create a temporary alias, set it as primary, and remove the original alias(es). Then login to your account with Skype at https://account.live.com/names/Manage and add the alias(es) to this account. Then you can use this account as an all-in-one account with Office 365 and Skype.

It would be great if Microsoft provided some kind of automated way to achieve this but I've followed this same procedure to help 30+ people with similar issues to you. Not perfect but it works!

• Khoa Huynh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a very old Skype account, and I had converted it to a MA in 2017. I also have another MA account that use as a log in account for my personal laptop with subscription to Office 365.

Now I want to merge the old Skype/MA account to my MA that have Office 365 and 1Tb One Drive.

• JH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WE ARE TOTALLY CONFUSED ABOUT WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH OFFICE 365 PERSONAL vs HOME. We got a Microsoft Technician to convince us the HOME product would allow us to do things SEAMLESSLY (your words), so we subscribed to it. But even though she was screensharing our account, she did not take note we had accounts in 2 different e-mails. (I see this FEEDBACK is by UserVoice and doubt the powers at Microsoft will listen to 1,721 votes.. But what can we do?

• BB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I desperately need to combine old Outlook accounts with the one I use for work.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

have multiple office 365 accounts that need merging since it is hard to find invoices for recurring charges.

• Simon Whittington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, we have separate tenancies for Office 365 and Dynamics and it gives us such a headache. Multiple logons mean we have to use different browsers to prevent authentication issues, surely this can be fixed one day please?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had (still have) a office 365 account, in order to have at that time, additional software like Visio you needed to have a separate account. I started recently a new company ... again a new account.
        I would really like to consolidate these account.
        ! For a company like Microsoft this could not (never) be an issue to provide such a functionality ! unless ...

• Robert (Tech Support) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Given the irritating Microsoft account creation process, our once small business is now a corporation with an irritatingly conflated ring of accounts that need to be merged, licenses revoked and consolidated, and allowed to reissue licenses under a single master account.

• Ted Zuccarelli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my boss has two separate 365 accounts for two different emails. He would like to have both emails in one 365 account.

• Kiley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a mess not to be able to do this! I created a Notebook account on my Mac. Then I had an MS365 for a small business I started, then I worked for an attorney and used their Office, then I purchased Office for myself. Honestly, I have no idea which account has which document. I am terrified of losing some of my work. I have had this issue for at least 4 years, why isn't this getting fixed? Does MS just like to answer thousands of calls about the same thing that is really a nasty thorn in customer's sides?

• Cliff Krug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why cant we merge 2 outlook 365 accounts? I purchased the Office 365 suite when we purchased a new computer last year. When we set-up email accounts recently through Go-Daddy, we had to set-up emails accounts under 365 again. We can not merge these 2. I paid Microsoft to have access to it all. Now I have to jump back and forth and have double the folders to file. It is incredibly frustrating.

@Scott BOYLE, there is actually a pretty easy way to migrate the latest version of each of your files from one OneDrive instance to another.

NOTE: This does NOT migrate version history!

There is a difference between OneDrive (personal) that comes with Office 365 Personal/Home and which you access with your Microsoft Account and the OneDrive for Business that you will access with the Organisational Account/Work or School Account provided by your law school.

I have created these instructions under the assumption that you currently store your data in your personal OneDrive and that the Office 365 subscription you are referring to is a Personal/Home subscription and not a Business/Enterprise subscription. You can write here again if these instructions don’t apply to your situation.

To be clear, you distinguish the two (2) types of OneDrive from the URLs with which you access them from a web browser:
        OneDrive (personal): https://onedrive.live.com
        OneDrive for Business: https://[tenant_name]-my.sharepoint.com/personal/[user_name]_[domain_name]

From a PC running Windows 10 you need the OneDrive client connected to your OneDrive (personal) if it is not already. Click Start and immediately type ‘OneDrive’ using your keyboard.

Windows should display ‘OneDrive (Desktop app)’ on the right, under which click ‘Open’.

If for some reason the OneDrive client is not found, try downloading and installing it from https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=248256

When you open the OneDrive client for Windows 10 it should ask you for your account information. Provide the same Microsoft Account (Email address/Phone Number/Skype Name) that you use to access https://onedrive.live.com and OneDrive will create a local sync folder on your PC.

IMPORTANT NOTE: In the latest versions of the OneDrive client, if you right-click the OneDrive icon in the System Tray area of your Task Bar, and click Settings, there is an option on the Settings tab (first tab) called Files on Demand. Check the box that says 'Save space and download files as you use them'. This will make sure you're not actually keeping the entire contents of your OneDrive on your local disk.

Next, from the same OneDrive Settings screen click on the Accounts tab. Click ‘Add an account’. This time you will enter your Organisational/Work or School account assigned to you by your law school.

Next, using File Explorer, select all the files you want to move (CTRL+A), pick them up by clicking and dragging with the right mouse button, and drop the files from the OneDrive in your OneDrive (personal), to the new OneDrive for Business. You will get an option to Copy or Move. Choose ‘Move here’.

Of course, this will mean that the OneDrive client will begin downloading all the data in your OneDrive (personal) to your local disk, and uploading it again to your new tenant.

In order to prevent the disk from filling up, periodically right-click the folders that are appearing in the OneDrive for Business location in File Explore and choose 'Clear Space'. This will mean that the moment they are uploaded, to OneDrive for Business, they will be cleared from the local disk. Icons representing those files will remain, but they are only placeholders. The data associated with them will be in the cloud only. When you try to access those files, they will download again. You should see a ‘Status’ column in the details view of File Explorer. In it there are coloured icons which tell you the sync status of each file. A Green Check means this file exists both in the cloud and on the local disk, where a cloud icon means this is just a placeholder icon representing a file that actually resides in the cloud. Green check files occupy local disk space, cloud files do not occupy disk space (beyond a small amount of metadata).

OneDrive (Personal) is still a great place for storing certain personal things like photos, with automatic Camera Roll uploads from your mobile devices. Even once you’ve moved your data across, you may want to keep that account connected to the OneDrive client in Windows 10. Cancelling your Office 365 Home/Personal subscription will drop your storage quota back down from 1TB to the several GB of space they offer in the free tier. If you run out of space in your free OneDrive (personal) you can always again drag things across to your OneDrive for Business.

Likewise the OneDrive apps for Android/iOS do support simultaneous connection to multiple accounts with fast switching between them.

I realise this is an imperfect solution, and I fully agree that a cross-tenant migration option would be ideal, but I do hope this method can be of use to you in the interim.

• Scott Boyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have paid for O365 for a 3 years now and love it. I keep all my docs on one drive, it's super convenient. Now I have enrolled in law school, and the school provides O365. Also, I'm on a law student's budget for the next 3 years. So obviously I don't want to pay for O365 when I have access to it for free. Do I really need to buy an external hard drive just to download my docs and port them to my school account for three years? just so that I can port them back in three years?

That's absurd. And awfully scammy. I've talked O365 up fro three years without any idea what a hole I was digging myself into - now I think it's ****. I'll be sure to tell everyone not to give MS custody of their documents unless they are 100% sure that they will always use this account and will never stop paying for this account.

• dennis hobbelen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

so i have a office 365 account on a live.com adress, also running my own domain and added my whole family to this account (5 users total) now i intended them to use the office 365 family pack, but also keep my files from my other account (live.com one drive 1tb) why isn't it possible to merge them or even tranfer the files easy to the new account ?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base