Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

allow the ability to merge 365 accounts seamlessly

Allow two 365 accounts to be merged without having to rebuild email accounts, move files etc... just move the domain from one 365 account to another after proper verification -- or even by just calling Microsoft support

2,116 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

183 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Steve Hubbard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just onboarded a business management client that has several 365 accounts that need rolled into one new account for consolidation purposes and it's going to be an absolute nightmare to do this manually versus just account switching the licensing and domains. Really frustrated this isn't a thing and would love to see it implemented!

• BIZFORCE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this a thing yet? I have a client we just sold Office 365 to, 10 licenses, setting it up... cannot authenticate the domain because some random user of theirs has been buying Office 365 personally on an annual license and has the domain.

• Gini N commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

one email used for MS Office account initially
    then got a school ms office account with the school email ID
    now procured office 365 personal on a new account
    course is almost over & school account will be deactivated
    how do i manage all the data, etc.?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I desperately need to merge two microsoft office accounts- they were purchased at different times on different email accts.but used for the same purpose. One is expiring soon and another one hasntw been used. Please help

• Brad PFEFFER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1/2
    @Mon,

This is actually quite easy to achieve now.

My organisation is made up of several sister companies with a few shared resources like accounting and IT across all of the various entities.

Each entity has their own Office 365 tenant but shared personnel need access across all Office 365 tenants.

You can invite users from one tenant into the other tenant.

You can also allow these "External Users" to appear in the "Global Address List". Once in the Global Address List they can be added to email distribution groups and SharePoint security groups.

Users can use a single account from user1@org1.com to access org1.sharepoint.com and org2.sharepoint.com.

With SharePoint I have not managed to successfully sync a Document Library from org2.sharepoint.com to Windows 10 using the OneDrive client as OneDrive seems to require an account from @org2.com but apart from this access across both tenants is quite seamless.

I have an Excel Spreadsheet that we use to sync users between tenants using PowerShell, which I would be happy to share. Ping me on global-ops-it at animall dot global or follow the steps below to create one.

Of course this could be scripted but we use Excel because it is easier for less technical people to see what is happening and correct any data errors along the way.

Step 1-Connect Source Directory

Step 1A - Install AzureAD PowerShell Module
    On any Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016 or later device, click Start and type PowerShell
    Right-click Windows PowerShell and click Run as Administrator
    Type
    Install-Module AzureAD
    -or-
    Install-module AzureADPreview

Step 1B - Connect to Source Directory (where the user is homed/licensed)
    PowerShell Command (Copy and Paste to PowerShell Window):
    Connect-AzureAD
    Optional: You can have one user with Global Admin rights to all of your tenants, in which case, specify the source tenant:
    Connect-AzureAD -TenantId "Source_Tenant_GUID" -AccountId UserWithGlobalAdminRightsToSourceTenant@OneOfYourTenants.com

Step 2 - Export User(s) from Source Tenant

PowerShell Command (Copy and Paste to PowerShell Window):
    Adjust command below to replace "*@org1.com" with actual user domain name in source tenant:
    Get-AzureADUser | Where-Object {$_.Mail -like "*@org1.com"} | Select-object DisplayName,Mail,GivenName,Surname,CompanyName,Department,JobTitle,Mobile,TelephoneNumber,StreetAddress,City,State,PostalCode,Country,SipProxyAddress | Export-Csv C:\Org1_Users.csv

Step 3 - Refresh User Details w/Export
    Open C:\Org1_Users.csv with Excel
    File > Save As and save as an Excel Workbook (.xlsx)
    Rename the Worksheet to "3-Refresh User Details wExport"

Create another Worksheet called "Commands" and paste these lines to the cell indicated:
    A1 Invite External User
    A2 New-AzureADMSInvitation -InvitedUserDisplayName "
    A3 " -InvitedUserEmailAddress "
    A4 " -SendInvitationMessage $True -InvitedUserType Guest -InviteRedirectUrl "https://portal.office.com
    A5
    A7 Set External User Attributes
    A8 Get-AzureADUser | Where-Object {$_.Mail -Match "
    A9 "} | Set-AzureADUser -UserType Guest -ShowInAddressList $True -GivenName "
    A10 " -Surname "
    A11 " -DisplayName "
    A12 " -Company "
    A13 " -Department "
    A14 " -JobTitle "
    A15 " -Mobile "
    A16 " -TelephoneNumber "
    A17 " -StreetAddress "
    A18 " -City "
    A19 " -State "
    A20 " -PostalCode "
    A21 " -Country "
    A22 " -SipProxyAddress "
    A23
    A24 Set Company Attribute using Set-User in Exchange Online
    A25 Get-User | Where-Object {$_.WindowsEmailAddress -Match "
    A26 "} | Set-User -Company "

NOTE: You must keep all quotation marks indicated above in each cell.
    IMPORTANT MANUAL STEP: Manually add a close quotation mark after "https://portal.office.com in Cell A4.

• Brad PFEFFER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2/2

Create another Worksheet called "5-Invite User(s)" and paste this formula to each row:
    =CONCATENATE(Commands!$A$2,'3-Refresh User Details wExport'!A:A,Commands!$A$3,'3-Refresh User Details wExport'!B:B,Commands!$A$4)

Create another Worksheet called "7-Add User Attributes" and paste this formula to each row:
    =CONCATENATE(Commands!$A$7,'3-Refresh User Details wExport'!B:B,Commands!$A$8,'3-Refresh User Details wExport'!C:C,Commands!$A$10,'3-Refresh User Details wExport'!A:A,IF('3-Refresh User Details wExport'!D:D="","",CONCATENATE(Commands!$A$9,'3-Refresh User Details wExport'!D:D)),IF('3-Refresh User Details wExport'!F:F="","",CONCATENATE(Commands!$A$12,'3-Refresh User Details wExport'!F:F)),IF('3-Refresh User Details wExport'!G:G="","",CONCATENATE(Commands!$A$13,'3-Refresh User Details wExport'!G:G)),IF('3-Refresh User Details wExport'!H:H="","",CONCATENATE(Commands!$A$14,'3-Refresh User Details wExport'!H:H)),IF('3-Refresh User Details wExport'!I:I="","",CONCATENATE(Commands!$A$15,'3-Refresh User Details wExport'!I:I)),IF('3-Refresh User Details wExport'!J:J="","",CONCATENATE(Commands!$A$16,'3-Refresh User Details wExport'!J:J)),IF('3-Refresh User Details wExport'!K:K="","",CONCATENATE(Commands!$A$17,'3-Refresh User Details wExport'!K:K)),CONCATENATE(IF('3-Refresh User Details wExport'!L:L="","",CONCATENATE(Commands!$A$18,'3-Refresh User Details wExport'!L:L))),CONCATENATE(IF('3-Refresh User Details wExport'!M:M="","",CONCATENATE(Commands!$A$19,'3-Refresh User Details wExport'!M:M)),IF('3-Refresh User Details wExport'!N:N="","",CONCATENATE(Commands!$A$20,'3-Refresh User Details wExport'!N:N)),""""))

Create another Worksheet called "9-Add Company Attribute" and paste this formula to each row:
    =CONCATENATE(Commands!$A$25,'3-Refresh User Details wExport'!B:B,Commands!$A$26,'3-Refresh User Details wExport'!E:E,"""")

Step 4 - Connect Destination Directory
    Repeat Step 1B but with destination tenant details

Step 5 - Invite User(s)
    Copy the lines in the worksheet "5-Invite User(s)" and paste into the PowerShell window

Step 6 - WAIT! Verify Guest mail users
    **Local Directory Account Required!**
    Open a new InPrivate Edge Browser Window
    Paste https://outlook.office365.com/ecp/ to the address bar
    In Exchange Admin Centre click "Recipients" and "Contacts" and wait for the Guest mail user to appear

Step 7 - Add User Attributes
    Copy the lines in the worksheet "7-Add User Attributes" and paste into the PowerShell window

Step 8 - Connect to Exchange Online
    If Exchange Online PowerShell module is not already installed on your Windows 10 device, install it from:
    https://outlook.office365.com/ecp/
    Click "hybrid" in the left navigation menu
    Click the lower "Configure" button

Connect to Exchange Online PowerShell
    On any Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016 or later device, click Start and type "Exchange Online"
    Right-click "Microsoft Exchange Online PowerShell Module" and click Run as Administrator

Type:
    Connect-EXOPSSession -UserPrincipalName UserWithGlobalAdminRightsToDestinationTenant@OneOfYourTenants.com

Step 9 - Add Company Attribute to External Users in Destination Tenant
    Copy the lines in the worksheet "9-Add Company Attribute" and paste into the Microsoft Exchange Online PowerShell Module window

Step 10 - Add External Users to Groups in Destination Tenant
    You can now add the External Users to Groups in Exchange Admin Centre at https://outlook.office365.com/ecp/, to Teams in Microsoft Teams, and to Security Groups for use with SharePoint Online at https://portal.azure.com/#blade/Microsoft_AAD_IAM/GroupsManagementMenuBlade/AllGroups

Hope this helps!

Brad

• Mon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear MS Office 365 Support,

We would like to make our two Office 365 exchange accounts, can create group emails distributions across each account. Also, share Sharepoint across.

Hope this will happen.

• Troy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I added an Office 365 account when my email/domain was parked elsewhere. I later rolled my domain to a Business Essentials account, I would like to merge my Business Essentials and Personal Office 365 account (Family) since the same users are on both. I thought of just killing one and manually moving any docs, but my recollection was that it would have been significantly more expensive than the separate accounts. Any chance for a price adjustment to add O365 to business essentials that's close to the O365 Family pricing?

• Coco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am currently paying for two 365 accounts and would like to be able to merge them to keep all my files in order under one umbrella. Please please Allow the ability to merge 365 accounts seamlessly.

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I desperately need to merge two microsoft office accounts- they were purchased at different times on different email accts.but used for the same purpose.

However I can't keep straight what data is stored in one vs the other. Please help by allowing sychronization of accts-- most of the time i don't know where new data is going or where to retrieve it.

today most of us operate multiple 365 accounts to get our work done. The need to sync data and calendars across accounts is critical.
    Thanks.

• Jacquelynn Ramkey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am currently working out of 2 seperate 365 accounts - different email address' - can there please be a fix to be able to merge them like you can with Outlook? This would make life so much easier, since at this moment I am having to have Safari and Chrome open at the same time to access both email accounts at once. It's very inconvenient and makes daily task and organization more difficult. In 2019, aren't we supposed to be working smarter, not harder?

I have never purchased one item on the first account, I several computers which originally used the first account. I tried to delete the first account on gdpiatt@outlook.com, answer was ok its deleted, but if you log in one time in the next 2 months it well automatic be reopened. So one of the computers of course log in. That's nuts, I have 365 on the other account and half the time when I want to make changes I'm in the wrong account. That's nuts. Garry Piatt

If this isn't added i'll be looking for another solution for myself and all of my customers. Ridiculous that in 2019 you can't do something as simple as merge two accounts.

• Wayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Godaddy opened a new office account which I already have. I can not afford 2 accounts.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base