Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

allow the ability to merge 365 accounts seamlessly

Allow two 365 accounts to be merged without having to rebuild email accounts, move files etc... just move the domain from one 365 account to another after proper verification -- or even by just calling Microsoft support

1,900 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

158 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 2 profiles, one personal, other from my university, and i would like to have option to merge profiles so i can easily do homeworks and tasks i have to.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a school account and a personal account, it would be great if I can access elements from one account to the other so I don't need to have two different "personalities" when using office

• Charles Richardson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have two Microsoft live accounts. Both made several years ago. One was my email at a university I worked at. One is a true outlook.com email. I have left the university but before I did I added office 365 home subscription. I would like to be able to sign into my current subscription with my .outlook.com email. I can't put it on the first account because your message says the email exists, yeah, it does. When i was playing with this I did not realize that once an account was made you couldn't delete it or move it. What do I do?

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be keen to see this too, it would be really useful. I have 2 tenants currently and would like to merge them into 1 without there being a potential disruption in service.

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a client who has three businesses. Two of them are under one tenant and he now wants to merge the third tenant in with the other too. That would be a great feature

Hi We look after a number of non-profit organization that setup office365 prior to obtain a office 365 non profit account - it would be really good to be able to merge these accounts and would save them costs and time.;

Hello there, I am a new college student using the free service with my student email address. I would love to continue to use this product with my existing Microsoft account. How do I merge the accounts??? I see reading the threads below this is not available. Please make this possible soon!!!

i have a Office 365 Home and a Office 365 Personal with a new laptop. Can i just merge them to carry on with one? Norton i was able to do this and even better the online chat person did it for me straight away. McAfee was able to as well. Surely it can't be too hard to do.

Agreed with the above. I have two registered and active accounts, and I want to merge the two into one account seamlessly. I am sorry but its ridiculous this is not able to be done, come on Microssoft you better than this.

• Brad PFEFFER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Cliff Krug,

The Office 365 you purchased with your computer is likely Home/Personal, while the GoDaddy service would be Business/Enterprise.

Office 365 Home/Personal works together with Outlook.com/OneDrive/Skype while Office 365 Business/Enterprise works together with Exchange Online/SharePoint Online/Teams (formerly Skype for Business).

These are two (2) very different sets of services. One is targeted towards personal use by consumers and the other for schools/charities/businesses/corporations.

I understand the lines between how these different services ultimately get used can become quite blurred but since the underlying infrastructure comes from two (2) completely different places, there's no way to consolidate them together.

Business is business, personal is personal. It is best that they don't overlap.

@Kiley,

Totally understand the frustration. It's easy to end up with multiple accounts and data spread about everywhere.

It would be very difficult for Microsoft to automate this kind of consolidation, but it is relatively easy to do by hand.

This is something that an IT professional with experience with Microsoft Accounts could help you scan through and consolidate. Hit me up here if you still need assistance and perhaps we could arrange a remote screen sharing via Skype or something. If I could 'see' what you are seeing it should be relatively straightforward to consolidate all the data into one of your accounts and delete the others.

@Ted Zuccarelli,

Do you know if these are Office 365 Personal/Home accounts or Office 365 Business/Enterprise?

Once we know this I can guide you on how to consolidate them.

@Simon Whittington,

Microsoft does not require Office 365/Dynamics 365 to be in separate tenants. I've seen a lot of companies with this sort of setup, usually because their Office 365 and Dynamics 365 are managed by different vendors. I agree it's a horrible setup. I have fixed exactly this for a few organisations by moving their Dynamics data to their Office 365 tenant. Little bit of work but definitely worthwhile from a user experience perspective.

This is something that would have to be merged by the organisation administrator but is not in fact that complicated.

Since migrating email/Exchange, SharePoint, and Teams is a huge ugly task, the easiest way is to backup the Dynamics databases and restore them to the tenant that has Office 365. This does require a license migration to move the Dynamics licenses to the Office 365 tenant but it's something your Microsoft Licensing partner would arrange and isn't that big a job.

This was a poor setup by whomever did it for your organisation. Although there are legitimate scenarios where Microsoft should make tenant consolidation easier, I don't think this one we can blamed on Microsoft... this time. (:

Talk to your IT team. What you are asking is definitely doable, if there's the internal willingness to do it. Reach out to me here if any other guidance is required.

@BB,

Do you use an Outlook.com account for work? ...or do you have a custom domain name for your work email address?

Typically @outlook.com accounts are for personal use, while business would have an @mycompany.com account. These should NEVER be combined together, but if you are in fact using @outlook.com for business as well I can advise you how to combine them.

@JH,

The only difference between Office 365 Personal and Office 365 Home is the number of users it covers. Personal is for one (1) user. Home is for six (6) users. In Home you can go to https://account.microsoft.com/services/office/sharing and invite up to five (5) other users.

Each of the six (6) users will get full Office Desktop Apps, 1TB of OneDrive, and 60 minutes of Skype-to-Phone calling.

Personal is all the same, but not much cheaper, and only one (1) user.

@Khoa,

Microsoft no longer allows Skype Names to be unlinked from a Microsoft Account. There is not way to move your Skype account to your other Microsoft Account.

The best way is actually to go the other way around. Use the Microsoft Account with Skype attached as your primary account. You can cancel your Office 365 subscription on the standalone account and re-subscribe on your Microsoft Account with Skype.

You can move the login names/email aliases between accounts by unlinking them, on the standalone account, at https://account.live.com/names/Manage. First create a temporary alias, set it as primary, and remove the original alias(es). Then login to your account with Skype at https://account.live.com/names/Manage and add the alias(es) to this account. Then you can use this account as an all-in-one account with Office 365 and Skype.

It would be great if Microsoft provided some kind of automated way to achieve this but I've followed this same procedure to help 30+ people with similar issues to you. Not perfect but it works!

• Khoa Huynh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a very old Skype account, and I had converted it to a MA in 2017. I also have another MA account that use as a log in account for my personal laptop with subscription to Office 365.

Now I want to merge the old Skype/MA account to my MA that have Office 365 and 1Tb One Drive.

• JH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WE ARE TOTALLY CONFUSED ABOUT WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH OFFICE 365 PERSONAL vs HOME. We got a Microsoft Technician to convince us the HOME product would allow us to do things SEAMLESSLY (your words), so we subscribed to it. But even though she was screensharing our account, she did not take note we had accounts in 2 different e-mails. (I see this FEEDBACK is by UserVoice and doubt the powers at Microsoft will listen to 1,721 votes.. But what can we do?

• BB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I desperately need to combine old Outlook accounts with the one I use for work.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base