Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

Enable and disable Clutter from Admin Panel

We need to be able to administratively enable and disable Clutter and Clutter notifications.

1,730 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Cameron Zink shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    tell us more  ·  O365 Feedback Team responded  · 

Thank you for your responses. We appreciate that you’ve taken the time to provide us with feedback to help make our products better.

We’re actively working on significant improvements to the end user experience with the feature across Outlook clients. This includes improvements to the UX, the classification algorithms, and controls.

Today, admins have a Power-Shell cmdlet that allows them to control the Clutter feature on a per mailbox level. Details of this can be found here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt586787%28v=exchg.160%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Our decision to provide the cmdlet based control for Clutter was based on early feedback we received on the Clutter feature.

We will continue to improve the admin controls based on the continued feedback. Considering the responses on this forum, it would be helpful to better understand the gaps in the current admin control story. Do you believe the gap here is in not having a tenant level control or not having a graphical control in the admin portal or both?

Please keep the feedback coming. Thanks!”

242 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Star D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Out of votes, but seconding Nick Assar's point that new features should not be auto-enabled by default.

• Nick Assar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop making these ridiculous features ON by default or at least provide a method to GLOBALLY disable it (which will affect existing AND new mailboxes). Clutter, Focused Inbox, and now auto-adding events from email into the calendar... will this madness ever end?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have never had a user mention Clutter or Focused Inbox in a positive manner, and our helpdesk now features canned responses to address users wanting or needing to disable these features. It would be very beneficial to us to have the option to completely disable these features.

• office 365 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Clutter and Focused inboxes. Who thought up these ideas in Microsoft? It just causes problems over missing email. Did nobody in Microsoft engineering team put their hand up to say actually are you sure you want to do this? *Nobody* wants this across 100's of tenants. At least give a way to turn this off for future mailboxes.

Clutter confuses users, and leads to staff missing emails. I would like to have the option as an o365 tenant setting, ideally in the admin portal.

At the very least, please add an option (to the PowerShell) to turn Clutter off for future mailboxes as well.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Focused mailbox is horrible! At least you can turn it off. BUT, leave the ability to use Clutter, once users get use to it it works! Leave it as an option and quit turning it off in favor of Focused.

Most of my users HATE the new Focused email option with a passion. They either use Clutter or nothing at all. Those that use Clutter love it and are irate that it is going away. They are choosing to use nothing and to deal with the pain of junk mail rather than use the Focused option.

My vote...reinstate Clutter as an option.

I would like the ability to turn it off at the tenant level as in a Hybrid Office 365/Exchange 2010 configuration I would like to ensure that my users cannot bypass retention policies by enabling this feature.

The configuration is a bit long winded to explain but I vote for the ability to configure either via OWA policy and/or tenant levels.

I can disable per user but this keeps the clutter folder and this will not inherit the correct policies to support the correct retention and archiving mix we require.

• Bhaskar Tripathy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my opinion the gap is in both not having a tenant level control and not having a graphical control in the admin portal. This is really trying to solve problems that do not exist.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft,

Important company email provided through third party senders to our employees which should be read, isn't, and is now forever sorted to clutter, to where we can no longer effectively communicate anything to our employees. Please give O365 admins the ability to shut off the clutter option by default for every new account, rather than having to manually run a script though the whole organization periodically to catch any newly added mailboxes. We have enough to do out here fixing your issues without administering these features that aren't practical.

• Chris King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What/where is the global setting for enabling or disabling the feature for all users and new mailboxes?

• Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I submit another vote to kill the Clutter feature. We don't want or need it. Major headache all around.

• Jen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was requested over two years ago. Please provide an option to disable Clutter globally so new mailboxes can be created with Clutter turned off instead of on.

• Romil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a global setting and its there in programming logic. MS just wants to force use this.
        MS you win. Now can we have this global setting to disable it once in for all.

Ideally, it should not be clutter that should be deciding which email is important or trash, the user should move the emails to clutter to tell it that this is not important not the other way around. Hope it bring some sense.

• xgman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the single most obnoxious thing that Microsoft has ever done to Outlook and Exchange. God let this madness end!

Users are used to the junk folder. Why add another folder that they will not check. This should not be on by default. This should not even exist. Just update the junk folder if you think it is better.

That being said, why not allow admins a reliable turn off for future mailboxes? If the client doesn't like the option. The admin should not be forced to keep track of this extra option that most users will care less to have.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

Feedback and Knowledge Base