How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

Tenant-wide time zone setting for SharePoint (at least)

It doesn't make any sense to me to have to set the time zone per Site Collection. For an organization that sits in one time zone, having to change every Site Collection from PST to the local time zone is tedious. If there were a single overarching setting that Site Collections could inherit from, it would make things a lot easier.

504 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Marc D AndersonMarc D Anderson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    thinking about it  ·  O365 Feedback TeamO365 Feedback Team responded  · 

Thanks for your feedback! We’re reviewing your suggestion. Remember, the more votes a suggestion gets, the more likely it is that we’ll do it. You can see what’s happening with Office 365 on the Office 365 Roadmap.

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jacqueline SirmonJacqueline Sirmon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need Tenant-wide time zone set for users as we provision them so that they aren't prompted to select a time zone (which they just click past and are then late to all their appointments)!

• Lance MoonshowerLance Moonshower commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about an update on this? Seems like a lot of responses from customers but no update since July 2015 from MS. This seems so fundamental that it's crazy it hasn't already been addressed.

• Jay HJay H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't fathom why Office 365 was ever released not using UTC adjusted to the local account timezone. Given that Microsoft is a global corporation with customers all over the world outside their headquarters's PST timezone, one would think this would be a super high priority to get this implemented. How has Microsoft been "thinking" about something this fundamentally wrong for over two years.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The sites zone should not have a time zone. Store everything in UTC (as I'm sure it is anyway) and have the UI apply the user's timezone to the times accordingly....

• MatthewMatthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree -- Microsoft should get out of the entire time zone by site business altogether. Being in a global organization with global teams, setting a site time zone does not make any sense. Have a tenant time zone to default for external and anonymous users, and for licensed users -- use the regional settings in delve to drive time zone and format for all services.

• EricaErica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't want the tenant setting to control all the site collections. But when the end users creating site collections, the default time zone is the same with tenant or current windows time zone, it's good. If someone wants to change the time zone, they can change at site collection level by themselves. ^_^

• ShirleyShirley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When the end user create site collection, it's better to set the default time zone the same with the tenant time zone,not US.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This shouldn't be a case of and I quote "the more votes a suggestion gets, the more likely it is that we’ll do it". This is not a popularity contest like on trash TV, this is a real issue affecting every user who is not in your timezone. Please try to think of people who are not American as we are paying customers too.

• Rick de VriesRick de Vries commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do something about this! Just because it's your timezone in Redmond does not magically make the impact less.

• AdamAdam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You are thinking about it. Wonderful. Such customer service. Let's pretend that instead of being a US based software developer, you are attempting to gain user uptake in new technologies and you don't happen to live in the US (crazy, I know).

Now, you are introducing one of your (older/non-technical) users to all things Office 365 & OneDrive. Do you realise how much confusion is caused, when these people are reviewing their files, with wrong date & time stamps?

How to you think they share their experiences with their co-workers & manger.

Just. Fix. It.

• Eric LEric L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What complete garbage to not have this already implemented, It should take the tenant settings and propagate instead of having each user go set it with a procedure. everything available from a business standpoint should be optimezed for time zones and regional settings, we've been with 365 for more than 2 years and still asking for this "feature" to be done. Really not impressed MS.

• JustinJustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Time zones across o365 need to be looked at. Skype for Business missed conversations emails come through with the wrong timezone, I believe these are set to mountain time. Message trace in Exchange, despite having a timezone selector, outputs in UTC.

• Alex OAlex O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea. Shame it has not been implemented after more than 2 years.

• WimWim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fully agree. This is not an issues with SharePoint, also with Exchange the same happens for each mailbox. Currently only (personal) mailboxes can be configured, meaning any shared mailbox is still hooked to some time/zone settings. It should be someway hooked to an organization "template" or policy, better to allow regions hooked to for example organization groups, or zone settings on the device. Today for Exchange mailboxes we need to run separate PowerShell command's once people are created through the Admin portal.

• LauraLaura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Other portals - Video for example - can't be individually changed, so we are now stuck with US date format. This is such a basic requirement for enterprises in a single time zone, why has this not happened yet? Have the O365 Feedback Team really been "Thinking about it" for 14 months??

• Thaddeus BrownThaddeus Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To add on to this, having one place for a user to set their time/region would be great or have it set everywhere once the user sets it. As an admin, I have to send users to different places to make sure the time zone is set properly (Email, OneDrive ). Once a user sets their time zone they shouldn't have to do it in every service and they are using email in one time zone and onedrive in another.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base