Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

Allow sharepoint to use a vanity domain for the URL rather than tenant.sharepoint.com

Currently our SharePoint uses tenant.sharepoint.com but I would ideally like this to be changed to intranet.mydomain.com or extranet.mydomain.com. It seems I can't use my vanity domain name for a SharePoint site or have multiple top level sites such as intranet and extranet for different purposes.

194 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jonathan Shenton shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Josh Butcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are used to creating an Alternative Access Mappings (AAM) within an on-premise environment should renaming the intranet be required. In our case, the part of the business I am with was purchased and I could then update the intranet domain name to reflect this.

Please provide this functionality, as there are solid use cases to support it.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the M&A and branding drums are loud - but MS doesn't get it..

• MQ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree 100%.
    For corporate users to take SharePoint seriously as the company intranet/extranet, it absolutely needs to be inextricably associated with the privately owned domain names such as Shenton refers to "vanity" domain names. Case-in-point: Compliance and security best practices are often written with the primary domain name hardcoded in policies for employees and IT security assessments.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So with having to move my public website, my vanity URL on my Intranet is not gone. Basically, I am a small business that has to pay for a static brochure-ware website as O365 pulled the public website and our vanity URL on our tenant is now gone. There does not appear to be a way to have a vanity sub domain for my O365 tenant.

• Kent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do something about this feature, we really need to have this one.

• David Wallach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, we also went though agency name change recently, unfortunately right after migrating to O365. So to endure another migration (all content from SharePoint, OneDrive and Email!) just to achieve a more appropriate URL seems to be an awfully high price to pay for this truly common occurrence. This really needs to be addressed. Thank you!

Feedback and Knowledge Base