Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

Support for Dynamic '+' Email Aliases in Office 365

Hello,

I am familiar with using a plus sign following my email alias to create dynamic unique addresses for a Gmail account. e.g. test.email+signedup@gmail.com will arrive at my Gmail mailbox, where I can then apply rules based on the 'To:' address. See this page for details: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370

I tested this on my Office 365 address and it works, but only for email addresses in my parent domain. Using the aliases on subdomain addresses results in a 'recipient not found' NDR.

Does anyone out there have more information on this feature or if it even is one for 365 / Exchange?

Thanks!
Ryan

605 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ryan Kendall shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company's dev team could really use such a feature for testing our web application!

• Scott Francis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's not just a genius idea, it's a REQUIREMENT from the relevant RFCs (822, 2822, etc.)

Not supporting "+" in the user-part means an email handling software is in violation of the RFCs that specify the standards that must be adhered to.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i am sorry but i does not work on Office 365 Business Premium accounts; even with the rule in the mail flow section. maybe I did something wrong.

• Vinicius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This workaround doesn't work in my environment. Throws the error:
        550 5.1.10 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipientNotFound; Recipient not found by SMTP address lookup

I suppose it's checking the address existence before checking the mail flow role.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WORKAROUND TODAY:

Be able to receive emails to: "FirstPartOfYourMail+ANYTEXT@YourDomain"

Here is how:
        - Got to Exchange admin portal
        - Go to MailFlow
        - Create a rule

With the following settings:
        - Apply this rule:
        - "When recipient matches: "FirstPartOfYourMail+" <- please note the plus in the end
        - and :A recipients domain is "YourDomain"
        - Do the following
        - redirect messages to "ChooseYourExchangeMailbox" <= you will be able to select them from a list
        DO the following

This will only ALLOW YOU TO receive Emails for disposable addresses though while google enabled you to also SEND emails from these addresses as they became a dynamic alias.

That our MAIN concern was to loose emails as we were not able to receive emails from previously setup accounts anymore and it was impossible to run them all down. I hope somebody else that runs into this issue dosen't have to spend weeks to figure this out when the fix is relatively simple.

Should somebody need to send from these emails you will have to add them one by one (this could also be scripted):
        - Add Alias for specific email that user wants to send with
        - Since the alias contains a "+" we CANNOT use the office admin portal as this wont let us enter "+" as alias, but we HAVE TO to use the Exchange admin portal
        - In Exchange admin portal go to Recipients
        - Double click on user you wanne add an alias for
        - go to email adress tab on user
        - now add the new alias (this interface allows us to enter a "+")
        - make sure you save after
        - done

The E-mail standard says that comments can be included by surrounding them in () at the beginning or end of the local part. Example:

someAddy(someComment)@foo.com

- or -

(someComment)someaddy@foo.com

Has anyone tried this with 365?

We have systems sending out automated emails. The only people not getting them are those with Office 365 eMail addresses.

• Josh Davidson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a developer we made heavy use of this feature in GSuite before moving over to O365. It allowed us to create disposable accounts for testing purposes. We're kind of stuck now with creating a bunch of manual of aliases.

• Niko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the SINGLE remaining reason for us not to be able to migrate to O365.

Amy updates on this? I kind of need this feature before I move over to office365.

This is really good feature & kind of self service. It doesn't need any action from Office 365 admins. Users should be able to add any alias with their email id and mail should be received at their primary SMTP address.
        Looking forward for positive response.

I'd definitely be able to make use of this. Can you please add this as an admin feature turned on?

Feedback and Knowledge Base